• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New ZF 15202 in Rose Gold

BigUnicorn

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/6/20
Thank you legend !! Spot on and technically justifiable conscious choice now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigUnicorn

21/6/20
The only way a friend was able to tell 100% this is a replica (not an AP expert, but private collector and well knowledgable in watches) was by looking at the movement on the back of the case.

legend could you please explain how is it a tell and different from the gen? What are the differences?

Nono92

I'm Pretty Popular
24/11/21
At first sight, the colour of the oscillating weight. It's not in gold in a rep.

BigUnicorn

21/6/20
At first sight, the colour of the oscillating weight. It's not in gold in a rep.

Got it, is the same as the SS version also in it? Also I found in some models, details are different, such as text on the oscillating weight etc with some defects. It varies piece by piece on the replicas.

Last edited:

Erinoush

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
10/7/19
UAE / EUROPE
The only way a friend was able to tell 100% this is a replica (not an AP expert, but private collector and well knowledgable in watches) was by looking at the movement on the back of the case.

legend could you please explain how is it a tell and different from the gen? What are the differences?

if he cannot say it is a rep with the watch in hand he has never seen or hold a gen jumbo (post 2012 -15202).
hands and dial texture are an instant tell irl, in photo, and at arm length....

Now it is true that, if the watch is equipped with a gen dial and hands it becomes much more complicate without looking more in detail....

Reactions: legend

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
Slightly off topic but related to this subject of ZF gold plated watches. I want to try their 15500 in RG. How good are plated reps these days where you don't have to worry about them fading off? Is ZF okay in this department?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Slightly off topic but related to this subject of ZF gold plated watches. I want to try their 15500 in RG. How good are plated reps these days where you don't have to worry about them fading off? Is ZF okay in this department?

The gold plating done by any rep factory is decent nowadays. Being gold plated, science dictates that it will fade or tarnish eventually especially on the crown but I haven’t seen this happen yet so far. Don’t worry about the plating it will last for years at least.

Reactions: Allure and Duckber

mharroch

19/4/21
Absolutely beautiful watches! I’m getting a Tourbillon for my brother for his birthday.

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
anyone had theirs long term and can speak to the durability of the plating?

Bullflo3

Certified
13/2/18
anyone had theirs long term and can speak to the durability of the plating?

No issues with mine after solid use in various climates. Also washed it a few times with water (yes water) and wrist clean watch solution. I’m just sure to dry it extremely well with a cloth and a compressed gas sprayer so that no water is left in between the links.

Reactions: Duckber

PAPA_WHALE

All a man needs is a good suit and a watch.
19/6/22
OK there are 3 aspects of this members need to always remember, when it comes to waterproofing:

1. Yes any replica watch (ok most of them) can be waterproofed and pressure-tested and be shown to pass the pressure-test at 5-10atm, no problems there. But read on please. Don't stop here.

2. The main issue I have with reps (and some gens in fact), are the durability and quality of the gaskets and seals which serve as the primary protection against water. The parts may not always hold up to interaction with minerals in the sea or chlorine in the swimming pool. Even if they do, there is no telling for how long, or how much exposure they can withstand.

3. Lastly, most people forget that waterproofness follows a function of time of exposure and water pressure. For example, dipping your watch in the pool for 2 seconds near the surface is not equal to submerging at the bottom of say, a 6ft tank. In any pressure test, the entire process lasts for a minute or less (submersion time). In the real world, the constant water pressure exerted on the watch at 6atm for example, will be a lot tougher on the watch than how it performs in the pressure chamber. A pressure test is meant to show that there are no leaks in the watch case construction during the duration of the testing, and hence an indication. It will NEVER tell you about the mid to long term quality of the gaskets and seals, or how it will work under prolonged water pressure over a few hours.

I have seen and fixed several horror story cases with watches and water already. What I can say is that I do not recommend wearing any watch rep or gen, other than the cheap tool watches like Gshock or Garmin, into the water. If you think about it, there is no reason to at all. In the sea water, there is the added risk of abrasion against the micro-sediments in the water. So avoid exposing the watch to water if you can help it unless its an emergency. I have personally seen water ingression on a friend's gen Patek 5711 from taking a 2 minute dip in the swimming pool, and at least 6 different gen AP ROOs and ROs, and a gen Panerai Radiomir getting water in them. It is a very expensive problem to repair for the gen most of the time.

So at least understand the above, and then make your decision. The choice is always yours.
Very informative write-up!
Thank you Legend