• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP royal oak 15500 DLC. Nobody bought it?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Going on with my DLC project on 15500.
Here following some samples of DLC coating already done on watches, by the firm I'm going to rely on to do this treatment.
They seems really nice, to me. What do you think?
From the pics I can only say that they look nice. Remember that DLC is also about how durable the surface treatment is and the actual finish in person.
These will need to be seen and addressed in person of course.
All the best and keep us updated!

Reactions: Allure

Dragonfly35

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
29/4/20
Sunny country
looks like a nice job - how much are they charging? i want to do this to a 15500 as well with a white dial, then have the white dial customized

As for DLC thickness, they spoke about 4um at max, to prevent unsightly effects.
As for price, it is not popular at all, but far from some retailer ask for it. The bad thing is that covering 1 clock or 9 costs the same amount....
If someone, here in EU, is interested in made this treatment done, feels free to contact me in pm, so we could split the costs.
Otherwise, I will deal alone. I'm just waiting the watch that actually is on the road from TD.

Dragonfly35

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
29/4/20
Sunny country
From the pics I can only say that they look nice. Remember that DLC is also about how durable the surface treatment is and the actual finish in person.
These will need to be seen and addressed in person of course.
All the best and keep us updated!

I know, mate. The duration of the treatment on the watch on wrist is to be verified. But as this is not my only watch and I think I will rotate it the others, I hope it will last me long time. Then I'm also thinking of using films at least on the back of the case.

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
As for DLC thickness, they spoke about 4um at max, to prevent unsightly effects.
As for price, it is not popular at all, but far from some retailer ask for it. The bad thing is that covering 1 clock or 9 costs the same amount....
If someone, here in EU, is interested in made this treatment done, feels free to contact me in pm, so we could split the costs.
Otherwise, I will deal alone. I'm just waiting the watch that actually is on the road from TD.
Pm you mate

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I know, mate. The duration of the treatment on the watch on wrist is to be verified. But as this is not my only watch and I think I will rotate it the others, I hope it will last me long time. Then I'm also thinking of using films at least on the back of the case.

Good thinking to protect the DLC coat with protective stickers. Just ensure you choose the right kind to preserve the visual finish of the DLC too.

Reactions: Allure

Swiss_goupil

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
Did you receive a firm price for the plating? Last time we spoke it was quite ‘vague’...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rawbar

Horology Curious
29/12/12
Finally the 15500 is arrived:
I started in disassembling and reassembling it

wearing it sparingly because I don't want it to please me too much in steel version as it is ..... :happy:

How did this project turn out? I was very interested in a DLC until I saw Legend's post of a worn gen with DLC. That's disappointing. I loved the darth vader look :)

beatitnoob

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/6/16
How did this project turn out? I was very interested in a DLC until I saw Legend's post of a worn gen with DLC. That's disappointing. I loved the darth vader look :)
Looks like the OP is banned, and will be unable to reply to your question.

Reactions: rawbar

rawbar

Horology Curious
29/12/12
oh, bummer! i didn't notice. Looks like he knew what he was doing too based on his pics.