• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP royal oak 15500 DLC. Nobody bought it?

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
AP doesn’t do coating, only ceramic. Chinese aren’t to shabby at ceramic reps, they should definitely try to do a full ceramic AP rep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, just that there are DLC models that came out of Le Brassus. :lol:

Reactions: legend

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
That is not true.

The AP ROO Marcus for example has a DLC bezel and case. A few models were also given the similar treatment. The AP Lava was PVD coated and so was the Las Vegas. If you want I can pull up a few examples.

AP DEFINITELY did factory coating on their watches

As always, the legend beat me to it. Lol

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Swiss_goupil

You can take a look at the bezel of this gen AP Marcus before I swapped it to a ceramic one.

The DLC coating is wearing off and you can see the stainless steel below. Not a pretty sight. So yes, AP learned their lesson from the good ol days I guess.
ZwyczY.jpg

Swiss_goupil

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
Swiss_goupil

You can take a look at the bezel of this gen AP Marcus before I swapped it to a ceramic one.

The DLC coating is wearing off and you can see the stainless steel below. Not a pretty sight. So yes, AP learned their lesson from the good ol days I guess.
ZwyczY.jpg

Yep, looks awful. Thank you for the correction. I didn’t thought about ROOs while responding above, don’t know why but I only had ROs in mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Yep, looks awful. Thank you for the correction. I didn’t thought about ROOs while responding above, don’t know why but I only had ROs in mind.

Maybe it’s a case of acute pre-purchase intense focus? :hehehe:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

Maybe it’s a case of acute pre-purchase intense focus? :hehehe:

Dragonfly35

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
29/4/20
Sunny country
GRAT NEWS, GUYS!!!
Finally I found an industry able to coat watches with DLC using a plasma technology instead of steamed pvd one.
This technology should ensure better adhesion of the carbon with lower thicknesses material used.
The result should be an intense glossy black color on the polished parts, less intense, almost anthracite on the satin ones.
I am very, very tempted to buy a 15500ss and have it covered with this DLC treatment.
At this point I am a bit undecided whether to choose the black dial or the blue one.
Which would you prefer?
ZwdRK8.jpg

Zwdf9K.jpg

Looking only at the dial, indices and hands, should I prefer ZF or JF?

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
GRAT NEWS, GUYS!!!
Finally I found an industry able to coat watches with DLC using a plasma technology instead of steamed pvd one.
This technology should ensure better adhesion of the carbon with lower thicknesses material used.
The result should be an intense glossy black color on the polished parts, less intense, almost anthracite on the satin ones.
I am very, very tempted to buy a 15500ss and have it covered with this DLC treatment.
At this point I am a bit undecided whether to choose the black dial or the blue one.
Which would you prefer?

Plasma technology has been around for a while now, and my company recently used it for an industrial application. I am curious to see how it will look on watches, never seen this used on a watch before. Remember that the coating, while in theory being more resilient, will not be immune to surface scatches and you still have to exercise caution when wearing such a watch, especially one with a treated bracelet. So exercise the necessary caution when wearing the watch.
Above all, I am looking forward to seeing the fruition of your project should you decide to go ahead. Personally I will go with the black dial for a more congruent appearance rather than the blue but that is just my preference. You need to ultimately decide which one you like better.

Dragonfly35

Banned
29/4/20
Sunny country
Thank you legend
I am also inclined to the black dial one.
You who have seen in real life many more reps than me, do you recommend the 15500 from Zf or the one from Jf which, if I'm not mistaken, produces the 15400 only?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thank you legend
I am also inclined to the black dial one.
You who have seen in real life many more reps than me, do you recommend the 15500 from Zf or the one from Jf which, if I'm not mistaken, produces the 15400 only?

If its the 15500 you're after, you practically have just one choice, the ZF 15500. The OMF one is not as good. No rep is perfect of course, but ZF does have the better 15500 than the OMF one for various reasons. The blue dial will clash with the all black bezel, case and bracelet I imagine, or maybe not, but you definitely cannot go wrong with the black on black.

Dragonfly35

Banned
29/4/20
Sunny country
I'm agree with you about the color. Black will be the choise.
And I was thinking for coating the entire watch, case and bracelet, except for bezel and back case screws.
As I already have a 15400 by Zf, I was thinking about a 15500 just to get a different dial that seems a little bit sporty, to me, with larger lume on hands and shorter indices. I imagine it could be nice with all black color, but I like a lot the 15400, too. So I was asking if, in 15400 version, the dial, indices and hands by JF is better or wrost than the Zf one.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I'm agree with you about the color. Black will be the choise.
And I was thinking for coating the entire watch, case and bracelet, except for bezel and back case screws.
As I already have a 15400 by Zf, I was thinking about a 15500 just to get a different dial that seems a little bit sporty, to me, with larger lume on hands and shorter indices. I imagine it could be nice with all black color, but I like a lot the 15400, too. So I was asking if, in 15400 version, the dial, indices and hands by JF is better or wrost than the Zf one.

It is best to leave the caseback screws uncoated, as the coating may not hold up to screwdriver contact, and also, the caseback + screws coating will typically wear off faster with prolonged contact with the skin. Just my thought though, it is your watch and yours to mod any way you prefer.

Reactions: QueTip

Accord11

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
2/12/20
Well I just ordered the 15500 black dial black coated rep, will post pics and review when it comes!

Dragonfly35

Banned
29/4/20
Sunny country
Well I just ordered the 15500 black dial black coated rep, will post pics and review when it comes!

Nice!
Me, I'm waiting for qc pics of a 15500 black dial steal I'm going to coat as above.
We could compare pics here, if you like.

Dragonfly35

Banned
29/4/20
Sunny country
Going on with my DLC project on 15500.
Here following some samples of DLC coating already done on watches, by the firm I'm going to rely on to do this treatment.
They seems really nice, to me. What do you think?

suchness

Known Member
17/12/15
looks like a nice job - how much are they charging? i want to do this to a 15500 as well with a white dial, then have the white dial customized