• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Fresh out of chinese new year cow 2021, Trusty's 15706 XF V3 QC pics received! (green) + Steak.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
My paranoia been TRIGGERED! I think I will pick one of these up from ebay.. $130 ish test all the reps I got and all the future reps. .hehehe ( I only bathtub dive )

When doing a pressure test, it is proper that you remove the movement, dial, hands, crown etc. and just immerse the sealed case for pressure testing.
To immerse the watch entirely into the pressure chamber... well lets just say that makes as much sense as blanking out the serial numbers on the caseback of a replica watch :hehehe:

JonathanLing91

Renowned Member
18/1/20
OP I see you are relatively new to RWI (as am I). One piece of advice which i have learned from countless hours of browsing the forums which I can pass on to you in regards to AP is to follow the advice of Legend. He’s one of our resident AP experts on the forum and really really knows his stuff. I don’t want to speak for him, but I believe he can perform the mods necessary to waterproof the piece for you. Definitely worth the piece of mind. Best of luck !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

miscusi

10/10/20
NYC
advice : follow the advice of Legend. He’s AP expert

oh I know that already 100%, I been reading this stuff here alot, and legend is legendary, Everytime I read something, and then I see a legend reply, I pay attention! he got the good stuff going on!

Last edited:

Jrano1111

Looking Around
27/1/21
My paranoia been TRIGGERED! :O .. :D

I think I will pick up one of something like this from ebay.. only $130 ~ ish

For me, I dont need anything fancy because I only go as deep as the jacuzzi would allow...

ZXXINo.jpg

Looool definitely a scary test

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

Not if the movement, dial, hands are removed before the test. I mentioned crown was to be removed by mistake in my previous post, but that was obviously wrong lol.
The purpose of the pressure chamber is to test for waterproofness for the case under simulated water pressure.

Reactions: Allure

Jrano1111

Looking Around
27/1/21
Not if the movement, dial, hands are removed before the test. I mentioned crown was to be removed by mistake in my previous post, but that was obviously wrong lol.
The purpose of the pressure chamber is to test for waterproofness for the case under simulated water pressure.
Ya that’s fair, honestly though I would even be scared just taking all the parts out

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Ya that’s fair, honestly though I would even be scared just taking all the parts out

Don't worry about that! Taking them out is the easy part. Putting them back in properly..... ah, thats where skills come into play. :hehehe:

Reactions: Allure

miscusi

10/10/20
NYC

I have had 100's of watches over my lifetime.. and I never felt the need to go have a watch tested for waterproofness. I had always assumed a watch is water resistant if it was stated so from the MFG. I just go through regular life and not worry about it. I wash the watches with soap and water when its dirty, I wear it in the shower, bath, jacuzzi, shallow pools, rain, shallow beach, dish washing, car washing etc... just regular life stuff. No diving or actual swimming.

So how did that work out for me over the years?

I currently have about 36 watches.
In Reps I have a submariner, a SM300, a mark 18, a flat cartier drive, master ultra thin, explorer 1
In Gens I have a handful of G shocks, couple of fossils, several other casios, invicta big date, a small flat tissot, a pulsar chrono, a datejust, a SM120, a date, a hamilton, a tag heuer, some timex, some seiko, some citizen... and some Aliexpress low dollar watches I picked up just to keep the mailman busy.
In Homages I have a GMT, a deepsea, a royal oak, a daytona, a nautilus, a no date sub, a gold day date, a datejust, a Portuguese power reserve, a panerai, a longines...

Out of all those watches, I currently have one that leaks: a low dollar holuns chrono style and it leaks like the titanic. It fogged up inside after a shower so I opened it up and hair-dryer dried it, and I dont go near water with that anymore. Historically I had other leaks, but those ones were always some low quality garbage watch that was a free giveaway or something.

So with this XF V3 we are talking about, I felt no reason to go have it tested for waterproofness. It is just something I am not usually concerned about. I wasn't even thinking about it... but I will, because:

...forged carbon diver case can suffer from inherent waterproofing issues.

thank you legend .

Jrano1111

Looking Around
27/1/21
I have had 100's of watches over my lifetime.. and I never felt the need to go have a watch tested for waterproofness. I had always assumed a watch is water resistant if it was stated so from the MFG. I just go through regular life and not worry about it. I wash the watches with soap and water when its dirty, I wear it in the shower, bath, jacuzzi, shallow pools, rain, shallow beach, dish washing, car washing etc... just regular life stuff. No diving or actual swimming.

In Reps I have a submariner, a SM300, a mark 18, a flat cartier drive, master ultra thin, explorer 1
In Gens I have a handful of G shocks, couple of fossils, several other casios, invicta big date, a small flat tissot, a pulsar chrono, a datejust, a SM120, a date, a hamilton, a tag heuer, some timex, some seiko, some citizen... and some Aliexpress low dollar watches I picked up just to keep the mailman busy.
In Homages I have a GMT, a deepsea, a royal oak, a daytona, a nautilus, a no date sub, a gold day date, a datejust, a Portuguese power reserve, a panerai, a longines...

Out of all those watches, I currently have one that leaks: a low dollar holuns chrono style and it leaks like the titanic. It fogged up inside after a shower so I opened it up and hair-dryer dried it, and I dont go near water with that anymore. Historically I had other leaks, but those ones were always some low quality garbage watch that was a free giveaway or something.

So with this XF V3 we are talking about, I felt no reason to go have it tested for waterproofness. It is just something I am not usually concerned about. I wasn't even thinking about it... but I will, because:

thank you legend .

Great insight appreciate it - time to stop babying my collection

miscusi

10/10/20
NYC
Great insight appreciate it - time to stop babying my collection

of course any watch of personal value should be cared for properly, no matter the type or cost... for me, watches have no personal value, if any them leaked I would buy another or chuck it in the trash, or if high dollar watch, I would consider having it repaired. Yesterday a $20 Panerai homage came in the mail, to test for waterproofness I opened it up and inspected the gasket on the back, also changed the battery, and then washed it with soap and water, and let it sit in the sink under water for a bit.. and yep its still okay. lol I actually have one watch that have personal value, I forgot, the Omega Seamaster 120 I had gave to my father as a gift, he passed away a long time ago, and I still have the watch. it has the dings and dents from being worn by a ordinary working man, and I still remember him breaking the stem because he forgot it was a screw down crown and had use pliars on it. I remembered replacing that stem.. this one I care about. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

thank you legend .

Remember the gen FC cases were discontinued by AP due to waterproofing and because they are delicate.

Reactions: Allure and miscusi

miscusi

10/10/20
NYC
We can learn together no problem. Such knowledge is never exclusive and doesn’t disappear when others possess it.

I happen to be an EMS instructor in real life, and agree about your point about knowledge. *thumbs up emojie*

bubblegummers

Known Member
15/12/18
The gen FC case seems to suffer from some peeling effect after a while; does this afflict the rep as well?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
The gen FC case seems to suffer from some peeling effect after a while; does this afflict the rep as well?

The early batches of the gen FC cases were prone to peeling, chipping and wearing. Heck, you could even rub the FC layers off with your fingers if you did it hard enough. It also suffered from waterproofing issues.
AP did improve the quality of the subsequent FC cases to make them more resilient, but due to the persistent issue with water resistance, and that some of the new cases continued to deteriorate in an unsightly manner, FC cases were eventually discontinued by AP.
Interestingly, other brands like Hublot and Franck Muller started using FC for their cases years later till now, and those are a lot more durable than the early ones produced by AP.
My thinking is that if AP is to re-produce their FC cases with the new technology available now, the results would have been very different, with the watches having beautiful, durable and waterproof cases.

Reactions: Allure and miscusi

miscusi

10/10/20
NYC

so far mine has been holding up well in that dept, and I dont baby it at all. but the thing that turns the "bezel" breaks easily. mine broke.