• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

FC case work aka The Official 'What does NA stand for' thread

malfa

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Certified
17/8/09
Conus
Looking to get more marbled look for fc diver. Do any modders offer this service?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
The gen AP FC finish is matte, but with pronounced marbling. I will not recommend simply polishing it, because it gives the case the absolute wrong finish.
It can however be retreated and refinished to make the look more consistent with the gen. Polishing is not the correct process to consider though.

malfa

Certified
17/8/09
Conus
Thx for the link. I agree marbling is what I am hoping to get without getting a sheen.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thx for the link. I agree marbling is what I am hoping to get without getting a sheen.

Polishing the entire FC surface is the easy way out, and easily done at home with a bit of wax and a hand lathe/dremel.
But I will urge you to consider going for the nicer alternative, to make the marbling prominent without glossing over the surface. It makes the case looks far better IMHO.
Of course, this is a matter of preference, because your watch will not turn gen magically even if this is done, but visually, the marbling stands out far better on a matte case as opposed to a gloss one.
As long as you enjoy how your watch looks, that is the most important aspect of the hobby. All the best!

Reactions: Allure and QueTip

malfa

Certified
17/8/09
Conus
can u please share your technique in getting the marble effect without the sheen? curious as to how its different from the above noted technique

thx in advance

Polishing the entire FC surface is the easy way out, and easily done at home with a bit of wax and a hand lathe/dremel.
But I will urge you to consider going for the nicer alternative, to make the marbling prominent without glossing over the surface. It makes the case looks far better IMHO.
Of course, this is a matter of preference, because your watch will not turn gen magically even if this is done, but visually, the marbling stands out far better on a matte case as opposed to a gloss one.
As long as you enjoy how your watch looks, that is the most important aspect of the hobby. All the best!

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
can u please share your technique in getting the marble effect without the sheen? curious as to how its different from the above noted technique

thx in advance

This is one of the gens I own.
109e5ed2bac9162e58ac54e637598f18.jpg

bcbb27292a55632efee2e93f803601fd.jpg

Note the marbling, it is pronounced and the entire surface is matte. Aesthetically it is a lot more pleasing, as the forged carbon from AP was created to look matte so that the waves of white/grey marbling can blend seamlessly with the black sections in sporty and exquisite fusion. Yes I’ve polished some rep FC cases before and I am not saying that they are ugly. It you know your AP forged carbon cases then you will know how it’s supposed to look.

The process includes 3 steps: polishing everything, mattifying it and then sealing the finish in.

There is an example of a rep FC surface which has been refinished superbly (not my work) and one of the very few examples I’ve seen which is aesthetically pleasing for me. I will try to find and post that pic shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
[mention]malfa [/mention]

This is an example I was mentioning. I believe it was sold by a member here, can’t remember who. Yes the grain is not 100% vs gen but the finishing is very nicely done. You can get the marbling to pop without making it look gloss.
096a87b3a02bdd450b2b61eaac0ce7e2.jpg

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Very true legend. There’s been a general consensus around before with people thinking the FC has to have that kind of shiny finish to it which is not how it should look like.

If the process is done right, it’ll come out with a nice matteish finish. Of course any case work doesn’t miraculously turn any rep case gen but it’s one way of significantly improving the look of it.

Reactions: SHB and legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Mine done with simple 5000 grit to remove the shine in the laquer

Another thing with rep FC cases, other than the surface sheen, is that the marbling grains in most cases look nothing like the gen but this can’t be helped. (Gen typically exhibits wider swarths and distinct patches and rep shows thinner strings and veins of marbling) I think that they look nice on their own and if you’re using a grit paper you need to be careful to leave the edge lines clear and defined. The main reasons why AP chose to discontinue this beautiful looking case material are the susceptibility to erosion, lack of long term resilience and inconsistency with waterproofing. Just be careful when you sand down the surface, you can be exposing micro pores which can enlarge over time. That was why I would recommend sealing the surface with a matte finish after whatever treatment method you choose. A gen FC diver owned by my friend went in and out of AP service center a couple of times for waterproofing issues and it was never properly resolved. Personally I do like the look of FC but I’ll much rather wear ceramic instead.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
if you’re using a grit paper you need to be careful to leave the edge lines clear and defined. The main reasons why AP chose to discontinue this beautiful looking case material are the susceptibility to erosion, lack of long term resilience and inconsistency with waterproofing
Absolutely this. I've seen a fair share of pieces (both gen and rep, albeit much more reps than gens lol) that have been 'refinished' but should've remained untouched. The chamfers and fine edge lines are easily ruined and this will cause irreparable damage only a replacing can fix and the case to look completely off and rounded.

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Absolutely this. I've seen a fair share of pieces (both gen and rep, albeit much more reps than gens lol) that have been 'refinished' but should've remained untouched. The chamfers and fine edge lines are easily ruined and this will cause irreparable damage only a replacing can fix and the case to look completely off and rounded.

Well true bro. But the good news is that the one shown by swiss_goupil is a rep and the case can be replaced relatively easily. No biggie there lol.

Reactions: Allure

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Out of curiosity, where in the world is NA?

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Swiss_goupil

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
Well true bro. But the good news is that the one shown by swiss_goupil is a rep and the case can be replaced relatively easily. No biggie there lol.

Don’t worry A, I have not touch the edges and chamfers of the case, 5000 grit very light sanding won’t do any damage but only make the laquer appears mat to the eye. Also those ‘fine edges’ are much softer on FC than on SS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

malfa

Certified
17/8/09
Conus
Thx for the pics and tip. I’m gonna try the 5000 grit and see where it gets me

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Don’t worry A, I have not touch the edges and chamfers of the case, 5000 grit very light sanding won’t do any damage but only make the laquer appears mat to the eye. Also those ‘fine edges’ are much softer on FC than on SS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do like the matte finish on your watch (nothing to do with how accurate or not to gen), it gives the entire watch a much better finish compared with stock IMHO.
With regard to the edges, I do own both metal (SS, titanium) as well as FC gens so I know how they should look. I agree with you that the FC edges are softer, but still very defined. Rounded FC chamfers and edges are signs of age and wear, and I try actively to avoid those in my FC watches (and why I don't wear them much). I will try to post a pic and you will be able to see the difference between mine and yours. Like I said the edges and chamfers should remain distinct and defined and never rounded.
Nevertheless, since we are discussing the finish here, I would have to say that what you did improved the texture visually over the stock finish. I like how the marbling (albeit totally different from the gen patterns) stands out against the darker background. Good job.