• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF Diver

jacklarssen

Known Member
11/6/21
Hi guys, may I ask if anyone has tried swimming with their ZF 15703 out of the factory, do you think it is swim resistant out of the factory?

MANY THANKS

g00n

Cunning linguist & Master debater
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
1/9/16
Hi guys, may I ask if anyone has tried swimming with their ZF 15703 out of the factory, do you think it is swim resistant out of the factory?

MANY THANKS

Hey mate, I personally don’t swim with any of my reps. If you really want to I suggest sending it to one of our TD watchmakers to pressure test first…..

Reactions: legend and P..DR..D

t3steve

Known Member
19/5/19
California, United States
I have a ZF 15703 on order when it arrives I plan on tightening the case back screws and having a local watch smith pressure test it. I swim, waterski, and surf, with all my rep dive watches after the initial pressure test, if the watch fails have the watch repair guy service it for water resistance .

the service is basically just lubing all the o-rings.

Steve

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank_NRW

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

MANY THANKS

If you think about it, there is hardly any reason for anyone to do casual swims with watches, gens or reps.
The issue with the rep watches and water isn’t the waterproofing per se but the quality of the gaskets and rings. It seems to me that they are unable to withstand water pressure and/or prolonged contact with chlorine or sea water and even though they may be waterproofed and pass a pressure test beautifully to 10 atm, there is no guarantee that they will hold up being submerged in the pool repeatedly or in a single session for others. Take note that a pressure test takes seconds typically but a swim can take significantly longer, and the length and depth of submersion are real factors affecting the longevity of the waterproofing of any watch.

If you really have to wear a watch while swimming then wear a real utility watch like Gshock or Garmin. You will be surprised how many watches I see a year for water ingression issues. It has been 20-30 every year for the last many years. It can get real expensive if the water damages the dial, hands and movements especially on frankens. Avoid swimming with any watch if you can. There is simply no reason to do so if you understand the risks involved with water and watches. Even a loose crown can cause water problems.

I cannot stress this enough: I am personally against wearing any watch to the pool or ocean unless one is a professional diver.

t3steve

Known Member
19/5/19
Meaning no disrespect to you personally but, I've read that before on other areas of the forum, but I think that is doing the Rep world a real disservice. The utility of the watch is extremely important, for instance they should be expected to keep reasonably accurate time and if you can't swim with a 300 meter dive watch it should not even exist!
You might as well just take a picture of the watch and tape it to your wrist.

Stephen

DrGran

7/3/17
Ultima Thule
Meaning no disrespect to you personally but, I've read that before on other areas of the forum, but I think that is doing the Rep world a real disservice. The utility of the watch is extremely important, for instance they should be expected to keep reasonably accurate time and if you can't swim with a 300 meter dive watch it should not even exist!
You might as well just take a picture of the watch and tape it to your wrist.

Stephen

It is per law not supposed to exist so you got a genuine point there. That being said I personally do not wear my watches into the water (most of my reps are still in need of repair and service even with this precautions) and I will now consider your ingenious idea to just have a picture of it on my wrist. I bet my wife will be mighty surprised.

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
As much as I would like to be as carefree as many of you and wear my AP by the pool without the fear of having to go in...I have really bad experiences to recount as legend rightfully pointed out.

You have a much safer bet using a rolex sub or pam . AP diver has so many ingress points it's a mine trap.

I just brought this sunday a JF v10 to my watchsmith friend and it passed the 5ATM WP test on its witschi machinery.. should i feel safe to dive with it ? Hell no, as, again, legend clearly explained - one thing is the WP test, one other thing is real life scenario

Fettekatze

Renowned Member
Certified
16/11/13
US
At this point our fancy metal mechanical watches are not necessities, not tools, they're jewelry. I don't *need* to wear a watch at all. If I need to see the time I just pull out my phone and the time's right there on the always-on display, and I can always count on that time being right. And I don't wear jewelry in any situation where the jewelry will get damaged. Like swimming where I'm swinging my arms around where my wrist can hit stuff. Get out of a pool, grip a concrete ledge, wrist touches concrete. Not gonna do that with one of my metal bracelets.

But that's just me. I like to keep my sparkly jewelry watches pristine and scratch-free, only handle the Royal Oak by the crystal and caseback to avoid getting fingerprint oils on the bracelet which ruins the shine necessitating a trip to the sink with soap etc. As long as a rep can handle being washed in the sink it's good enough for me.

And who actually goes diving beyond the deep end of a pool? Divers? Some guy doing underwater welding as a profession? Someone doing that would surely trust whatever electronic waterproof tool watch popular within that discipline instead of wearing a $$$$ Rolex Sub or Omega Seamaster and pretending that they're James Bond from 1975.

Last edited:

t3steve

Known Member
19/5/19
As much as I would like to be as carefree as many of you and wear my AP by the pool without the fear of having to go in...I have really bad experiences to recount as legend rightfully pointed out.

You have a much safer bet using a rolex sub or pam . AP diver has so many ingress points it's a mine trap.

I just brought this sunday a JF v10 to my watchsmith friend and it passed the 5ATM WP test on its witschi machinery.. should i feel safe to dive with it ? Hell no, as, again, legend clearly explained - one thing is the WP test, one other thing is real life scenario

Yes you are right there are a lot more holes is a AP diver than other dive watches but as long as all the O-rings are good and you double check the crowns before diving in.
Why should we expect less from a AP rep than every other? I spend a lot of time in the water with my other rep dive watches and have never had a problem.
And as for the need to wear it in the water, I guess everyone's lifestyle is different.

Stephen

Nono92

I'm Pretty Popular
24/11/21
When I go to the swimming-pool, there is a big clock on the wall. The problem is in the sea but there is a call a few minutes before the bath is not supervised. So never needed a watch :)

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Yes if your mommy tells you when its time to get out of the bath I guess you don't need a watch.????

I think I heard someone else’s mom yelling telling them to stop being rude to people on the internet.

Reactions: legend

EuroTime25

Lost Soul of Watches
Supporter
Certified
24/7/20
West USA
Do you go swimming with your Nike Jordans or any shoe thats not designed for water. I understand the part of wanting a watch to be used in water as they should be able to. Same with Jordans they can go in the pool and ocean. Especially with all the rocks and sharp things in the water, its important to wear something useful to protect your feet. But you dont wear them because of you needed feet protection you buy water shoes which are designed for that. These reps are really designed as bracelets that tell time, even gen watches I wouldn’t trust too much in water because a small mistake by you or a watchsmith and you just got a nice repair bill. Most people who need a watch for the Ocean or Pool get one that its either Gshock type or diver like a seiko that you pay $200 and dont care if they get destroyed. Again I seen people here take their reps in the water with no issues but is it a risk you are willing to take? So if the answer is yes get that bitch waterproofed and you should be fine, but just have it in the back of your head if it leaks have funds ready to get it fixed. Just because it may be designed to do something doesnt mean you should do it. Range Rovers are designed to go offroad but if you choose to you may damage few parts.

Just do what I do wear that watch and enjoy it. When you want to get into the pool and ocean take it off and if you need to check the time just get out and pick up the watch and see the time. So simple and you wont get water damage. Or if I really need to have a watch in water I wear one of the ones I dont mind damaging like Suunto, Casio, Seiko, Steinhart, etc. my reps stay dry.

Reactions: Nono92 and legend

Nono92

I'm Pretty Popular
24/11/21
I was trying to make a joke, sorry

Yes I took it as a joke ;). I've already had problems with a gen Rado though it hadn't taken a bath. For the moment, the only one I trust for going to swim is my Pagani Design submariner (like a Rolex with a Seiko movement but more resistant :thumbsup:) !

Reactions: EuroTime25