• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF Diver

Kingquest_s

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
3/1/16
CONUS
Would you rather have JF v7 or ZF ?
Thanks
I had jv v7, v9.5 (bold inner), zf. ZF is the best out of 2! Just one thing i dont like about ZF was the cyclop, too glare.

For JF v7, i will mod it to fantasy watch option:

1. Ceramic bezel or rubber clad bezel with v9.5 dial and DW

2. Diamond bezel and v9.5 dial with gray/gold shimmer top coat.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: LaraA

LaraA

15/3/11
I had jv v7, v9.5 (bold inner), zf. ZF is the best out of 2! Just one thing i dont like about ZF was the cyclop, too glare.

For JF v7, i will mod it to fantasy watch option:

1. Ceramic bezel or rubber clad bezel with v9.5 dial and DW

2. Diamond bezel and v9.5 dial with gray/gold shimmer top coat.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input , just might have to get myself a ZF , missing the old ones I sold

Have a great weekend!

Lariram

Renowned Member
24/2/16
Just ordered the 15703 along with the VSF Yachtmaster. Does anyone know if the ZF is actually available through TDs (in my case puretime)?

Lucy and Li told me that the ZF 15703 is out of stock, maybe back in two weeks.

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

In this hobby the availability of most watches is just a function of time and one needs to be patient for it to be available again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lariram

EuroTime25

Lost Soul of Watches
Supporter
Certified
24/7/20
West USA

If you are not rushing wait a bit. For me unfortunately it wasnt avaliable and I couldnt wait longer, already had few declines on other watches. I got the JF because it was avaliable and I am happy with it. No matter what model you go with you will love it if you can get it.

Reactions: Lariram

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
If you are not rushing wait a bit. For me unfortunately it wasnt avaliable and I couldnt wait longer, already had few declines on other watches. I got the JF because it was avaliable and I am happy with it. No matter what model you go with you will love it if you can get it.
The Confucius voice in my head tells me, "if you grab what's available, you'll get what's left." Or maybe that's the confused voice. :lolcina:

Whatever! While I haven't a clue if it is actually the case, I think it is likely that the people who have no wait (or a short wait) are the ones most likely to get QCs that people who waited longest previously rejected. Assuming my theory is correct, waiting on incoming inventory may not be a bad thing.

Patience is bitter but the fruit is sweet. :sFun_oldguy:

Reactions: EuroTime25

EuroTime25

Lost Soul of Watches
Supporter
Certified
24/7/20
West USA
The Confucius voice in my head tells me, "if you grab what's available, you'll get what's left." Or maybe that's the confused voice. :lolcina:

Whatever! While I haven't a clue if it is actually the case, I think it is likely that the people who have no wait (or a short wait) are the ones most likely to get QCs that people who waited longest previously rejected. Assuming my theory is correct, waiting on incoming inventory may not be a bad thing.

Patience is bitter but the fruit is sweet. :sFun_oldguy:

That could be the case. Or that everyone is now 100% convinced the ZF is the best out there and now everyone wants it. While a JF to me is an amazing watch and compared to a gen is extremly close (both JF and ZF are not 100% perfect and both have issues). But when few people say one is for sure the best so the rest will just go with it and miss out on a great watch because someone else said something. I looked over and over comparing the two againts a Gen and it is impossible to tell the difference unless its a high quality up close photo. Then you get the watch and see just how small those what looked big differences. In the end I am extremely happy with my JF and the alignment is perfect which is what I wanted. So in the end you do whats best for you. And with rep world people want the best while they pass up a amazing watches that are miniscule off from gen that only people here who are fans of the watch will notice if you are 1ft away from them. Lol

Again not bashing on ZF as I also wanted the best as I was told here. But just wanted to say JF is an amazing compromise if not avaliable.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
That could be the case. Or that everyone is now 100% convinced the ZF is the best out there and now everyone wants it. While a JF to me is an amazing watch and compared to a gen is extremly close (both JF and ZF are not 100% perfect and both have issues). But when few people say one is for sure the best so the rest will just go with it and miss out on a great watch because someone else said something. I looked over and over comparing the two againts a Gen and it is impossible to tell the difference unless its a high quality up close photo. Then you get the watch and see just how small those what looked big differences. In the end I am extremely happy with my JF and the alignment is perfect which is what I wanted. So in the end you do whats best for you. And with rep world people want the best while they pass up a amazing watches that are miniscule off from gen that only people here who are fans of the watch will notice if you are 1ft away from them. Lol

Again not bashing on ZF as I also wanted the best as I was told here. But just wanted to say JF is an amazing compromise if not avaliable.

Objectively, if I have to pick on a single feature of the JF diver which is an instant tell, it’s the datewheel. The factory may have copied the Mikey classic datewheel and it’s just sad awful. The Mikey modern font was on the other end of the spectrum and was the best aftermarket AP datewheel for me.
Same for the hands, it’s an eyesore.

So while I agree with you that the ZF is a rep also and isn’t perfect, I AM saying that given a choice I will buy the ZF diver. It is up to the individual to make his own choice but your reasoning works as well for a DHgate AP diver: someone will find it appealing. Same for the old noob diver. Someone will find each of them acceptable for the price.

If I see a JF diver in the wild, I will be able to tell that it’s a rep from a restaurant table distance. For the ZF I will need to study it closer. These are facts which apply from my experience.

You may find the need to defend the JF diver because you own one and you’re right in saying that neither (also including the dhgate reps and everything in between) are gen but given the choice I’ll pick the ZF over the JF any day (not that I’ll wear any AP rep). Let everyone work out their preferences for themselves. The differences between the two are objective and not subjective.

lordswolf

Horology Curious
17/7/21
Objectively, if I have to pick on a single feature of the JF diver which is an instant tell, it’s the datewheel. The factory may have copied the Mikey classic datewheel and it’s just sad awful. The Mikey modern font was on the other end of the spectrum and was the best aftermarket AP datewheel for me.

So while I agree with you that the ZF is a rep also and isn’t perfect, I AM saying that given a choice I will buy the ZF diver. It is up to the individual to make his own choice but your reasoning works as well for a DHgate AP diver: someone will find it appealing. Same for the old noob diver. Someone will find each of them acceptable for the price.

If I see a JF diver in the wild, I will be able to tell that it’s a rep from a restaurant table distance. For the ZF I will need to study it closer. These are facts which apply from my experience.

You may find the need to defend the JF diver because you own one and you’re right in saying that neither (also including the dhgate reps and everything in between) are gen but given the choice I’ll pick the ZF over the JF any day (not that I’ll wear any AP rep). Let everyone work out their preferences for themselves. The differences between the two are objective and not subjective.

Very informative post, thanks Legend...interestingly the NWBIG thread has the JF diver and not the ZF. Imagine thats down to a lack of expertise from whoever is deciding the list?

Also dont want to derail the topic but do you feel the same way for the 15500 Royal Oak re the restaurant table distance?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Very informative post, thanks Legend...interestingly the NWBIG thread has the JF diver and not the ZF. Imagine thats down to a lack of expertise from whoever is deciding the list?

Also dont want to derail the topic but do you feel the same way for the 15500 Royal Oak re the restaurant table distance?

Actually, I do not believe in nor do I subscribe to any "NWBIG" list created by someone else simply because its a very subjective one. We should not let others to decide for us what is NWBIG and what isn't. The same tell may matter more to someone than the other. Another guy may know about all the flaws but decide that the watch priced at $500 is "worth" the price compared with the gen priced at say $25k. In short "worth" is a very individual thing, so how can there be consensual agreement on this? It all depends on how much spending power one has, the flaws he can live with and what he cannot, and the kind of environment and social settings he wears the watches in correct? Put a "NWBIG" watch who has no confidence to pull it off and it will still appear awkward. Put a DHgate rep on someone who has the millions in the bank and nobody will question it. So what exactly is NWBIG? It is up to the individual to define it, and not something which applies uniformly to the entire community.

So forget about the list created by someone and make your own. I don't peruse that list at all so I am not sure what is on it nor am I interested. I make my own judgements on the reps based on the gens I own and my own research and observations. And my list works for me alone.

For the modded 15500 black, silver or blue, they are a lot harder to call out than the grey. The stock rep has a cheap dial finish and yes I can tell they are reps from table distance based on this and not the hands or datewheel or case. Remember that gen Royal Oaks (specifically the 15400 and 15500), exude a fair bit of the "Je Ne Sais Quoi" factor and this is accentuated by the attitude and confidence of the owner.

Reactions: QueTip

Marbe78

29/9/20
Spain
Actually, I do not believe in nor do I subscribe to any "NWBIG" list created by someone else simply because its a very subjective one. We should not let others to decide for us what is NWBIG and what isn't. The same tell may matter more to someone than the other. Another guy may know about all the flaws but decide that the watch priced at $500 is "worth" the price compared with the gen priced at say $25k. In short "worth" is a very individual thing, so how can there be consensual agreement on this? It all depends on how much spending power one has, the flaws he can live with and what he cannot, and the kind of environment and social settings he wears the watches in correct? Put a "NWBIG" watch who has no confidence to pull it off and it will still appear awkward. Put a DHgate rep on someone who has the millions in the bank and nobody will question it. So what exactly is NWBIG? It is up to the individual to define it, and not something which applies uniformly to the entire community.

So forget about the list created by someone and make your own. I don't peruse that list at all so I am not sure what is on it nor am I interested. I make my own judgements on the reps based on the gens I own and my own research and observations. And my list works for me alone.

For the modded 15500 black, silver or blue, they are a lot harder to call out than the grey. The stock rep has a cheap dial finish and yes I can tell they are reps from table distance based on this and not the hands or datewheel or case. Remember that gen Royal Oaks (specifically the 15400 and 15500), exude a fair bit of the "Je Ne Sais Quoi" factor and this is accentuated by the attitude and confidence of the owner.

Thanks Legend, for your opinions developed with knowledge and other interventions, a great thread where I have learned a lot about the ZF model and the replicas in general.
Let's enjoy what they are.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thanks Legend, for your opinions developed with knowledge and other interventions, a great thread where I have learned a lot about the ZF model and the replicas in general.
Let's enjoy what they are.

Thank you too. Learning is for everyone including me, it is an ingoing process which should not stop because new stuff crops up in this hobby from time to time.
"Let's enjoy what they are" sums up my belief regarding replica watches very aptly too.

Gen is gen and everything else isn't no matter where they are produced.

Reactions: Allure

EuroTime25

Lost Soul of Watches
Supporter
Certified
24/7/20
West USA

What I said was sure the ZF may be a bit better, but if for some reason you cannot get it and want a good AP the JF is a good 2nd option. Thats it. For me and many its not a eyesore looks extremely close if not really close to gen for majority of people....Not someone as educated as yourself. Also how good are your eyes man? I cannot see a date font from more than 3-5ft. And I do get what you are saying. I just want people to understand JF is not a horrible piece compared to ZF. So if you are like me and was told they dont have any and I already waited few months for other watches who were not avaliable I was ok with the flaws as most are on the JF. This is just so people who are new dont miss out on a good rep because they were told another is better but they even cannot tell. As it was told before the biggest tell you are wearing a rep is you. And also no one cares about your watch like you think. So relax and enjoy your time peace because it makes you happy. If you bought it to fake people maybe this isnt for you, what I mean is dont be fake.

Allure

Word Game Queen
Certified
15/3/18
venus
What I said was sure the ZF may be a bit better, but if for some reason you cannot get it and want a good AP the JF is a good 2nd option. Thats it. For me and many its not a eyesore looks extremely close if not really close to gen for majority of people....Not someone as educated as yourself. Also how good are your eyes man? I cannot see a date font from more than 3-5ft. And I do get what you are saying. I just want people to understand JF is not a horrible piece compared to ZF. So if you are like me and was told they dont have any and I already waited few months for other watches who were not avaliable I was ok with the flaws as most are on the JF. This is just so people who are new dont miss out on a good rep because they were told another is better but they even cannot tell. As it was told before the biggest tell you are wearing a rep is you. And also no one cares about your watch like you think. So relax and enjoy your time peace because it makes you happy. If you bought it to fake people maybe this isnt for you, what I mean is dont be fake.

I can only tell you, [mention]legend [/mention] being one of the best modders if not top, handles intricate parts like no one else and can point out flaws immediately with just one glance!

He might have eagle eye implant for all I know, cause nothing ever escapes his gaze!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: legend

Anonray

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
8/10/18
What I said was sure the ZF may be a bit better, but if for some reason you cannot get it and want a good AP the JF is a good 2nd option.

It all depends on the person purchasing the watch. Today the ZF is the best ootb, tomorrow there might be a V2 from ZF which is far better or heck some xyz factory might pop out of no where and make the best rep diver. The wearer should be content with what he/she buys. These makers/versions will never end, just get what you like and what you’ll be happy with. For me, I got a JF one, got it fully modded by the man himself and couldn’t be happier. If the ZF would have been available at that time, would have probably picked that up, but i’m very content with the JF and that is what matters.

Another good thing with reps is, if you don’t like it, you could always sell it here and get the one you want. It’s that simple. At the end of the day these are 500$ fun watches, don’t take them too seriously.

yagmot

Horology Curious
23/3/17
Tokyo
Tan_Go
Then as per mech500 request I tried a JF bracelet and it goes in like butter
Perfect fit no problem

You just made my day! :nana:

I had a JF on order, but they seem to have stopped deliveries (thankfully my JF 15450 just arrived last Friday :whew:) so I switched to the ZF (probably another stroke of good luck, as the consensus seems to be that it's better than the JF), and I'll probably be ordering the JF bracelet in a few months. :B:

alfajor

26/6/15
Conus
Anyone knows if ZF has a XS strap for their Diver? My TD has no clue.
I find the strap extremely uncomfortable.
The issue is that due to the distance between the holes it’s either too loose or too tight on my wrist. I tried a JF short strap on one side but it doesn’t fit right, besides being a bit wider at the lugs.

antoine2000

Horology Curious
23/4/09
What a nice read. Very informative thread. Thank you all for making me decide my first purchase since a long long time. I ordered the ZF from a TD. I also wanted JF SS bracelet only, but unfortunately it was out of stock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: EuroTime25

alfajor

26/6/15
Conus
Tan_Go i can't help with it but here's what I found after fiddling with the zf diver and an array of straps

Ok JF straps are a pita to mount (as if changing strap on an AP was a breeze anyway) because the hole on the zf plots is a tad higher /closer to the lugs. You need some extra force and I'm not really happy with that..

Gen croc straps and a roo gen rubber i have are perfectly fine no problem with it

Then as per mech500 request I tried a JF bracelet and it goes in like butter

Perfect fit no problem

So this led me to another test

I mounted jf plots into the zf diver and bingo they go in well and the jf straps can be mounted effortlessly

But in doing so I realized the metal bar which go in the strap holes from zf is a tad thicker than a JF (or maybe a cheap one I had I can't guarantee but all I have are likewise - except the only ZF) so I went back to zf plots and tried a JF strap with another rod and it was slightly easier to mount

So my findings for those tldr; folks like legend

: - jf strap by right not easy
- gen strap no prob
- jf bracelet no problem
- if you need jf xs best is to mount jf plots

​​​​​​​Hope this helps

Great info right here.
I’d love a leather strap on my ZF diver, apbands have some interesting ones, can I assume they will fit? I know they don’t fit well on JF Diver.

Reactions: antoine2000