• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

“Take me to the next Level”

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
"Take me to the next level" what does it mean and what do I want to achieve with it?

Take me to the next level is not an instruction or recommendation how to build an over Franken.

Take me to the next level should not do anything else bad or put other watches in the shade.

Take me to the next level will still not be a Genuine AP, although all parts are. Why do I explain later.

So what should Take me to the Next Level be?

It is the emergence of a Genstein Project, my first Genstein Project and this is what it will be about.

It should be an exchange of experiences, it should be informative for interested people, it should be open and honest and nothing should be embellished, which challenges it has, it should be a lesson for me, with which difficulties it has to struggle with such a project.

I am looking forward to contributions, suggestions, questions and hope that we will have a lot of fun with "Bring me to the Next Level".

I would also like to talk and discuss the following points:

- how did I come to this project?
- why did I decide to do this?
- what are/were the difficulties?
- do I regret having done this project?
- how expensive has it become?
- would I do it all over again?

I am aware that not everyone is interested in the topic and that some will be bored, therefore an extra contribution away from the Franken Thread.

Explanation of the name in the Topic : when I got the first pictures of the case, the song Take me to the next level was running in the background and I thought what a sign ;)

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
So let's get started. It feels like an eternity ago that I unexpectedly got the opportunity to buy a new and special, complete Gen Case of a ROO 42mm.

I did not think long and intuitively accepted immediately.
Only one day later I thought about whether it was really worth it, whether it was not too expensive and the whole project exceeded sums that were simply not worth it.

Anyway, I have accepted and I stand by my word.

Nevertheless, numbers were rattling around in my head and I calculated at least 10 times what I would have to face and how long it would take to get the rest.

So it all started with a complete case, including the tachy.
The advantage was, all screws, gaskets, glasses, pusher, crown and tube were included.

25549e9fb0baaa7dd490832f6b9a6160.jpg

39cea400aa6fdfc18d2489e593055da2.jpg

55a7b6a09d55c9bff6ef96f64f7b33aa.jpg

e9f0b873bf8381bcc9fca194723ade6a.jpg

fe09fd0c2644411eba53c6f1a85b01a5.jpg

1d4c7344d440ce8914fe0c855713b49b.jpg

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
What was important to me in the following process:
Since I was already so happy and got a new case, I would like to continue the construction in this way. This means that all parts that are to be installed must be new.

This has made things even more complicated, because it is really difficult and expensive to organize these parts.

I thought I would continue with simpler parts like the dial and hands.

But it was not easy to get a new dial of a Vampire/Dark Knight.
The Watches are still too "new" and I was "only" offered used parts.

Then I got the tip to contact a dealer in New Zealand, they had offered good dials for a while, but that was some time ago.
The guy is really very nice and had written me in the first message that he unfortunately doesn't have a suitable one anymore.

After we had written for a while using WhatsApp and I had told him about my project, he suddenly wrote he has a brand new dial, which he has deposited for himself.
He sold it to me at a very good price and I was really happy. Thanks a lot!

d89f1427848777f6efa91b271dd448df.jpg

8793d9af3b58e62e77d1902a9f4ddb25.jpg

ab418be89efdb678947507844eebb06e.jpg

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
I actually got the hands easier, through a good contact in Malaysia I got a new set.

Crazy, now we already have three countries on the trip, Switzerland, New Zealand and Malaysia. I love to have contact with different people and cultures. This is what makes our world really special.

4a5d1630058f3ca0b075eff622fef642.jpg

Swiss_goupil

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
Subscribed. I think this is great mate. In a time where mods usually protect their knowledge/sources to make sure they get jobs, this thread goes back to the forum roots ie sharing knowledge to help other. Thank you Sir

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Garuda

wkim8732

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
30/10/17
TW
Great project, and I am really happy for you OP to be able to organize the parts. I wish you good luck, and can't wait for your updates.

Reactions: flying-tommy

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
God I love how this thread starts and what horizon it leads to. I got my 1rst franken AP a few weeks ago, it's a Vampire and I feel directly attached to your adventure here, that is great.

That case is incredible (well, it's new so it should be!), and the fact that it comes with all the peripheric parts mounted is a plus.

Can't wait to read more...

Envoyé de mon ELE-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
So next round.

The Movement. The Movement. It is difficult with the Movement. Lol

Actually I do have one, but somehow I don't.
Actually I bought a new one, but there are still some little things missing. But these little things need a lot of time, a lot of time until all parts are there. Let's come to it later.

What I got last week is the Gold Rotor. This cute little rotor is as difficult to get as a new Movement.

Understandable, how can you explain to AP that the rotors have to be changed all the time? Difficult and expensive.
But, it is beautiful and handmade and hand engraved.

dc037433cd97e46327f10f689ec2cbb9.jpg

5b51806c736fc44009606a43dff44ea7.jpg

mskwatch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/15
EU
This is beyond amazing, thank you for sharing. That NZ guy is a fine gentleman, asked him about a dial sometime ago on the bay

Reactions: flying-tommy

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
The strap was a great pleasure for me.

I really had problems to get the Gen Rubber Strap.

AP has tightened their policy so much that you can't get a strap without a Gen Watch.
Now you might ask why don't you buy one on EBay or Chrono24.

I and many of Domis customers have just had the worst experiences with straps on EBay and Chrono24. There are so many fakes that are sold as original.
I have learned my lesson and I don't buy rubber straps on EBay anymore.

It is very difficult to see the details from the often bad photos, the same with the buckle.

Therefore I asked Legend if he could help me. I was a bit uncomfortable, because I didn't want him to get stressed with his AP dealer.
Alvin immediately agreed to help. It did not take long and he was able to get me a complete conversion kit.

Since I also needed the plots it made sense to buy the whole kit including the Buckle.
I don't want to say too much, maybe Legend could add some of the Story , but it was really not easy to get all the parts (especially the plots).

The plots are part of the case and AP doesn't just give out these parts.

I am really very grateful for the help and hope I can return the favour. Again many thanks to AI!

For me the strap is already very different from the material than the JF Strap. It is much more precise and also the colour tone is slightly different. And it is nice matt and not shiny.

In addition there was also an AP Strap case. Perfect.

I like the strap very much and even though it actually belongs to the Dark Knight, I think it will be a nice combination.

*** Updated country list of the parts:
- Switzerland (Case)
- New Zealand (Dial)
- Malaysia (Hands)
- Kuala Lumpur/Malaysia (Gold Rotor)
- Strap/Plots/Buckle (Singapur)

It’s absolutely amazing!!!

a8a57b4e75871821ea2092f6c561f586.jpg

86741136695af0f532c86674c3d06e6c.jpg

6ceba74000481f12e2ce919229471f9b.jpg

b4e1d1ad8fe6f6361d4a2b4a61192eaf.jpg

bb68aab7de793e074beddccca06ba6c9.jpg

afce71e81ea1bbad198e4b71d39908c1.jpg

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
So, now we can talk a little bit about the current status.

So far I have spent a lot of money, waited a long time and still haven't got a finished watch.

What is like a therapy for me, some people cannot even imagine.

To pay thousands of Euros for something you might get one day.
All parts have to be paid in advance. A lot of trust and patience is necessary. This game does not work any other way.

No one will tell you, no problem, I will get you all the parts and when I have them together you will pay. Forget it.

Contacts, dealers, intermediaries, nobody wants the risk you say after 6 months, I'm sorry, I changed my mind. Understandable.

So you need patience. Patience I didn't have at first. But you can learn it with time.

Would I recommend such a project to a beginner?
NO! Absolutely not.

I now feel like a beginner myself again, because you need so much help and connections. And nothing is constant in the business. Today someone tells you he can get you Part X. After a while the distribution channel has changed and it just doesn't work.

You can sometimes despair and you always have the feeling of annoying others, even though you give them money. Lol

The next update will take some time, now you can train your patience a bit :)

Luvwatch

21/8/14
So, now we can talk a little bit about the current status.

So far I have spent a lot of money, waited a long time and still haven't got a finished watch.

What is like a therapy for me, some people cannot even imagine.

To pay thousands of Euros for something you might get one day.
All parts have to be paid in advance. A lot of trust and patience is necessary. This game does not work any other way.

No one will tell you, no problem, I will get you all the parts and when I have them together you will pay. Forget it.

Contacts, dealers, intermediaries, nobody wants the risk you say after 6 months, I'm sorry, I changed my mind. Understandable.

So you need patience. Patience I didn't have at first. But you can learn it with time.

Would I recommend such a project to a beginner?
NO! Absolutely not.

I now feel like a beginner myself again, because you need so much help and connections. And nothing is constant in the business. Today someone tells you he can get you Part X. After a while the distribution channel has changed and it just doesn't work.

You can sometimes despair and you always have the feeling of annoying others, even though you give them money. Lol

The next update will take some time, now you can train your patience a bit :)

I love the spirit and effort you put into this hobby. Your watch is amazing and the value of it isn’t only the sum of parts in it, but more over, the value of your time, patience and effort put into it.

Something that doesn’t often happens with gens.

You are a true watch fan and I hope you complete this project to your highest expectations. Good good for you!

Note: I bought the same straps en eBay and are almost exact as my JF. I might have just got screwed. Not sure.

Cheers mate

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I think this is great mate. In a time where mods usually protect their knowledge/sources to make sure they get jobs

I think your comment is totally irrelevant and rather inappropriate on this thread. Firstly this is not a "how to" watchmaking thread. Second, I do not think that modders are obligated to share their hard-earned skills, knowledge and sources. These need to be earned. Lastly, watch mods are not a matter of reading a tutorial and then you suddenly become a watchmaking god. It takes knack, practice, patience and passion. Your assumption that modders protect their knowledge and sources to make sure they get jobs is totally incorrect.

I do not wish to clutter up Tommy's thread, but your comment was out of place.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
In a time where mods usually protect their knowledge/sources to make sure they get jobs, this thread goes back to the forum roots ie sharing knowledge to help other
Huh?

Where is there any knowledge being protected? I'm assuming you mean modders with 'mods' so I'll answer you based on that. Every modder / watchmaker does certain things their way, it's a common practice to not share every step of your work. I don't think you disclose each and every step of your work for everyone to see either, do you?
That's what the tutorial section is there for and there are heaps of them out there. No one will open their sources to you just for the sake of goodwill. It's a matter of courtesy. Some of these sources, in fact many, have to operate very carefully to not get taken down and dry out.

You know what you get when sources are openly shared like you imagine for your perfect pink world?

You're getting sources (dealers, greys whatever) that are horribly pissed off because people shared their contacts, further crackdowns on parts supplies and thus .. you guessed it, even more inflated prices on everything. You can ask anyone that has been in the game for longer than a few months on how this game of hunting, buying and trying to locate gen parts along with acquiring sources works and how much of a pain in the arse it can be.

I won't even comment on your theory about modders having to protect their ways and sources to secure jobs, you don't have any idea at all.

You can find plenty of 'amazing watch', 'I love it', 'very nice' etc. on TRF. This is not encouraged on RWI and RWI is the place with the highest amount of knowledge being shared between members out of all the forums I've ever been on.

Let's not ruin this thread with this. There's plenty of threads just in the AP section where you can see the exact opposite of what you are picturing in your way off target post. :qtip2:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
The strap was a great pleasure for me.

I really had problems to get the Gen Rubber Strap.

AP has tightened their policy so much that you can't get a strap without a Gen Watch.
Now you might ask why don't you buy one on EBay or Chrono24.

I and many of Domis customers have just had the worst experiences with straps on EBay and Chrono24. There are so many fakes that are sold as original.
I have learned my lesson and I don't buy rubber straps on EBay anymore.

It is very difficult to see the details from the often bad photos, the same with the buckle.

Therefore I asked Legend if he could help me. I was a bit uncomfortable, because I didn't want him to get stressed with his AP dealer.
Alvin immediately agreed to help. It did not take long and he was able to get me a complete conversion kit.

Since I also needed the plots it made sense to buy the whole kit including the Buckle.
I don't want to say too much, maybe Legend could add some of the Story , but it was really not easy to get all the parts (especially the plots).

The plots are part of the case and AP doesn't just give out these parts.

I am really very grateful for the help and hope I can return the favour. Again many thanks to AI!

For me the strap is already very different from the material than the JF Strap. It is much more precise and also the colour tone is slightly different. And it is nice matt and not shiny.

In addition there was also an AP Strap case. Perfect.

I like the strap very much and even though it actually belongs to the Dark Knight, I think it will be a nice combination.

Hello Tommy

Sorry for my post earlier but certain erroneous statements had to be corrected.

I am glad that the straps reached you safely. Yes it was a struggle even for me to get the gen straps/plots and buckle for you. My dealer not only insisted on sighting the watch, but insisted on installing the set on my watch as well. I had to remove it back home and send it to you (yes the pouch was included)

The straps will fit the vampire or dark knight equally well, we both know that. :)
Congrats once again on your journey so far and I am looking forward to its completion.