• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Mini Review of JF's AP 15703 V10

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
Wish they stuck in a 2836 (2846 even better)! Take some cues from XF at least!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't it a 2836? It used to be on previous JF 15703 (I have a v7 that has been converted to low beat)

Plucks

6/2/17
Isn't it a 2836? It used to be on previous JF 15703 (I have a v7 that has been converted to low beat)

No I believe it is a 2824. Easy way for you to check is see how the date changes. If it’s a slow change for 15mins or so around midnight then its a 2824. 2836 is instant flip at midnight.

Just Cavalli

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
14/4/14
No I believe it is a 2824. Easy way for you to check is see how the date changes. If it’s a slow change for 15mins or so around midnight then its a 2824. 2836 is instant flip at midnight.

Which cues from XF?

Tobel

6/7/17

Ah yes my bad it's an a2824, I checked my order. I thought you meant they had switched to a Miyota.

I was thinking that it was a 2836 to your point because mine has an instant date check.

​​​​​​​legend , hi brother, is the instant date change something related to the low beat conversion? Thanks

Plucks

6/2/17
Which cues from XF?

The XF FC diver uses a 2836 movement is what I meant. Trusty also had a special at one stage with the FC diver that came with the low beat 2846 installed as well!

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Ah yes my bad it's an a2824, I checked my order. I thought you meant they had switched to a Miyota.

I was thinking that it was a 2836 to your point because mine has an instant date check.

​​​​​​​legend , hi brother, is the instant date change something related to the low beat conversion? Thanks

Hey bro, Plucks was correct to say that the JF V7 diver used a 2824 movement. The instant date change is due to the date mechanism 2836 uses and has nothing to do with the low beat conversation. Both 2824 and 2836 can be converted to low beat and both will retain their date change characteristics.

Last edited:
Reactions: Allure

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Hey bro, Plucks was correct to say that the JF V7 diver used a 2824 movement. The instant date change is due to the date mechanism 2836 uses and has nothing to do with the low beat conversation. Both 2824 and 2836 can be converted to low beat and both will retain their date change characteristics.

can you put the date changer from a 2836 on the 2824 ?

Reactions: kennygconspiracy

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
No Raddave the datewheel and mechanism are both different on both movements.

the date wheel are different but the ID is the same , you can put a 2836 dw on a 2824 , but you need a bigger dial gap

Tobel

6/7/17

Thanks bro. Then I can't explain how my v7 diver a2824 has an instant date change :)

jeets

Horology Curious
14/10/19
Really want to pull the trigger on this one! It’s just the misaligned bezel to marker issue! It seems like it’s rare to get one that’s just right! (See attached pic of my v9.5)

Is it possible that the v10 gets that right?

​​​​​​​

Last edited:

Erinoush

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
10/7/19
UAE / EUROPE
Really want to pull the trigger on this one! It’s just the misaligned bezel to marker issue! It seems like it’s rare to get one that’s just right! (See attached pic of my v9.5)

Is it possible that the v10 gets that right?

there shouldn't be any problem to get it right as long as your v10 is purchased new. You'll just have to pay attention to the QC shot you'll get from you TD.
​​​​​​​

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
This is the one I originally wanted when I started checking out AP. I then switched over to the ZF 15000, which I sold 2 weeks later :)

so yeah.... I’m gonna need me one of these... thanks KG

Reactions: kennygconspiracy

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
Going over the old tread and KG¨s review, from what i can gather, it's just a wrong font on the datewheel that's the only problem with this v10 model. Correct?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Going over the old tread and KG¨s review, from what i can gather, it's just a wrong font on the datewheel that's the only problem with this v10 model. Correct?

To rephrase your question, if you mean whether by changing the date font, it will become a 1:1 watch with no flaws, the answer is no. I can still give you a list of flaws with the watch even with the "correct" datewheel.
But visually, this is going to very nice on the wrist, but NEVER a gen, nor will it be ever mistaken for one in the forums (in real life, even an old V7 can be mistaken for a gen lol). I do not know if that is what you are asking, but hope this will help.

Reactions: Allure and QueTip

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
To rephrase your question, if you mean whether by changing the date font, it will become a 1:1 watch with no flaws, the answer is no. I can still give you a list of flaws with the watch even with the "correct" datewheel.
But visually, this is going to very nice on the wrist, but NEVER a gen, nor will it be ever mistaken for one in the forums (in real life, even an old V7 can be mistaken for a gen lol). I do not know if that is what you are asking, but hope this will help.

I know, it’s always a rabbit hole when you start modding watches. I’m not here to flash watches on the gram :) but I do wear a couple of reps in rotation with my gen Rolex watches. Im interested I light mods, mostly to please my own ocd :)

Ive never had a gen AP, and I’m just now starting to branch out from Rolex. I wanna test drive a couple of models, before investing in a gen (just had a couple of weeks with the 15500) I wanna do a bit of modding to give the watches a fair chance before I move on, or go gen.

On for example a sub, I always do gen crystal, DW If needed, hands and a bergeon block brushing. After that treatment it’s pretty much indistinguishable imo.

i would love to hear your list of flaws on this particular model, and what mods you would do yourself. You have a wast knowledge, and are definitely one of the go to guys on AP and PP :)

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I know, it’s always a rabbit hole when you start modding watches. I’m not here to flash watches on the gram :) but I do wear a couple of reps in rotation with my gen Rolex watches. Im interested I light mods, mostly to please my own ocd :)

Ive never had a gen AP, and I’m just now starting to branch out from Rolex. I wanna test drive a couple of models, before investing in a gen (just had a couple of weeks with the 15500) I wanna do a bit of modding to give the watches a fair chance before I move on, or go gen.

On for example a sub, I always do gen crystal, DW If needed, hands and a bergeon block brushing. After that treatment it’s pretty much indistinguishable imo.

i would love to hear your list of flaws on this particular model, and what mods you would do yourself. You have a wast knowledge, and are definitely one of the go to guys on AP and PP :)

Honestly, what I always tell guys who come see me in person, is that if you just want a nice watch to wear, buy a rep. If you are serious collector, get the gen, keep it BNIB, and wear the rep anyway. So you see there is always room for reps no matter which category you belong :hehehe:

What matters is not whether the watch is 1:1 or otherwise, but how you feel wearing it. Some guys are happy slapping on a stock old V3 diver on the wrist and call it good, and others like your good self may need more to satisfy your sense of ownership. Ultimately and indisputably, each of us wants that feel of wearing a branded or luxury watch on the wrist without having to pay the full price for it. It is a salient aspect of the hobby nobody here can deny, and the difference is the amount of mods one needs to get there.

If I am asked to build a stainless steel diver for myself, this is what I will do. There is no right and wrong, and I am merely sharing my personal preference.

- I will get the movement and datewheel from the XF ceramic diver, a 2836, swiss or asian doesn't matter.
- cyclop can either be retained from the new version, or I will opt for Mikey's one. I have not studied it
- Dial, I prefer a gloss finish myself (There are at least 3 variants in the gen 15703)
- Dive bezel I will opt for the latest one, with the proper borders around the lume. It is NOT perfect vs gen, but will serve perfectly in real life
- Low beat conversion will be done to bring the movement frequency to 21600bph and a movement service and regulation will be performed at the same time
- Bezel screws will be polished, aligned and refined
- hands will be polished and relumed if necessary (I did not study the details to say for sure)
- case and bezel will be rebrushed to gen spec (personal preference, not for visual accuracy)
- caseback will use an i series one if not already
- watch will be waterproofed

Now with the above done, will watch be 1:1? No, it obviously will not. But will it make me happy wearing it in real life? Absolutely. I will appreciate the details of the above modded watch if worn in real life. Therein lies the significance of owner satisfaction, vs needing something 1:1 (which is a synonym for gen if you think about it). There is always a line to draw for each owner on what he can accept and what he cannot, and hence it is a very subjective matter. What makes me happy for the same watch may be inadequate for one, and excessive for another. Learn your own preference, and sometimes, what others like can serve as a point of reference for you too. I do have a collection of about 20+ unworn BNIB Rolex and Patek in my collection, but I never feel the urge to wear them myself. When it comes to wearing watches, AP is the go to brand for me. This is another area where owner preference comes into play, and I like your approach of using reps to test drive what you like in your gen collection.

Last edited: