• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Relume xf 15202 hands

crunchycarrot00

14/6/18
Everyone knows about the mismatched lume on the XF 15202 but recently it is really bugging me to the point I don't bother wearing it so I'm looking to relume the hands (reluming the indices to something a bit more "white" would be preferable but way beyond the time I'm willing to put into this project).

Anyone got good recommendations on where to source lume powder/binder set that would be a good color match with the stock XF 15202 dial?

Pdatoon

Renowned Member
2/2/19
Everyone knows about the mismatched lume on the XF 15202 but recently it is really bugging me to the point I don't bother wearing it so I'm looking to relume the hands (reluming the indices to something a bit more "white" would be preferable but way beyond the time I'm willing to put into this project).

Anyone got good recommendations on where to source lume powder/binder set that would be a good color match with the stock XF 15202 dial?

If you want to skip the DYI part, and use the service of a modder. I can recommend legend . He did a fantastic job on my 15202 XF.

crunchycarrot00

14/6/18
I'm ok doing diy, I actually like the process but reluming these indices is just a pain

Like I do diy subdial freezes on my st19 powered speedy reps, dial replacements on gen speedies, full movement teardowns and servicing but reluming these baton indices just seems like something that's super hard to get right.

Reactions: Pdatoon

Pdatoon

Renowned Member
2/2/19
I'm ok doing diy, I actually like the process but reluming these indices is just a pain

Like I do diy subdial freezes on my st19 powered speedy reps, dial replacements on gen speedies, full movement teardowns and servicing but reluming these baton indices just seems like something that's super hard to get right.

Yes, i heard the same thing from Legend. Very tricky process.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thanks Pdatoon my brother for the mention.

The 15202 and Patek 5711 are examples of dials which are severe PITAs to relume.
crunchycarrot00 I get my lume material from www.rctritec.com. They are not cheap but its quality stuff which I believe the luxury brands use as well.
Good luck with your DIY project and do share the results!

Reactions: Allure

crunchycarrot00

14/6/18
Thanks mate

Just gotta find the right color to use on the hands to match the dial, I only want to relume the hands as it's the mismatch that annoys me, not the specific shade of the indices.

crunchycarrot00

14/6/18
The kit has arrived !!

Should I try it first on a beater sterile Explorer dial/handset first or YOLO it and go straight to the XF ?

crunchycarrot00

14/6/18
Well it is good I did a test run to check color first because the binder that comes with the watch lume kit is terrible

It gets bubbly really easy and they're imparting to get rid of

On my next trial I think I'll try to thin it with some water and if that doesn't work I'm going to try to use a clear coat from a hobby shop instead

crunchycarrot00

14/6/18
Noo...

This was just to test what the lume looked like dry (watch lume kit had 2 bottles of green which I was trying to determine which matched the indices more)

The binder that comes with the watchlume kit looks like white glue from my grade school days... After mixing with the lume powder there's loads of bubbles that are very difficult to get rid of

Reactions: dk0243

crunchycarrot00

14/6/18
The lume is also quite lumpy so when I try again later this week I'll have to try and grind it down a bit more in a tiny crucible