• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF Audemars Piguet 15202

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
Amazing job by legend !!! Hence the name! Very excited to receive this and make a full review of it.

Here are some pictures of the mod of the hand base. Other mods done includes: Bevelling and polishing of the case and bracelet, silencing the rotor, waterproofing. Next up is touching up of the bezel screws :)

I am very grateful for the work done! Let's face it. We can't just valse down and buy a gen 15202ST. So this is as good as it gets IMO. Also i am very grateful for the polishing of the bracelet. Every single link was disassembled, polished in 4 facets! And re-assembled. Let's just let that sink in.

The hands aren't easy to trim and bevel. Tiny little structures. I think the result is astonishing. And much much better than the standard ZF and in my humble opinion also looking better than the XF. But then again not everyone can agree one everything.

Let's also remember that sometimes we are not making life easy for modders here on RWI. They use a lot of effort, time and skills, but off course they cannot perform miracles: They can only improve what is at hand. And that was certainly done here to extent!

[...]

The hole below the hand base is barely visible. In this zoomed-in photo you can see it slightly, but it's not a big deal at all.

625e6947-7de7-426e-98ea-fed6bb68bcde.jpg

Btw the dial color looks amazing on this ZF.

Holy sh*t! Hey, men, have you ever really thought about that the hand base is how miniscule part of the hand and of the watch as a whole? Trimming and re-shaping it so perfectly means legend must have such power for controlling metals as Magneto has in X-Men. Congratulations!

Branis

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
28/5/17
Congrats! After all the gen steel Royal Oaks are so expensive, because the finishing is done in Le Brassus by expensive "swiss labour cost handwork" around case and especially bracelet. Yes, certainly the decent mvmt adjustments, too. But finishing screws, case and every bracelet link each by hand takes so much time. @Legend: you have proven once more that your name suits you well.

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

Branis

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
28/5/17
BTW: your mod of the handbase is absolutely fantastic! I know this has been discussed a million times, but my european mind just doesn't understand: how can factories build real super reps like the AP ROO Diver from JF V10 or the IWC 7 days by ZF (amongst all those couple of others) proving that they CAN actually get so many details right (apart from time-consuming case finishing)? I understand that making great reps means making great surfaces more than it means making great in depths mvmts (although the clone 4130 is amazing and can even take the gen Rolex spring). But if surfaces count so much and ZF has proven so often that they can, why do they come up with such and obviously wrong handbase at their 15202, while everything else is (superficially) almost perfect? Were they in a hurry? Did their hand manufacture deliver wrong stock and they got it supercheap and want to use it till it's gone? I don't believe they want us to buy one updated version after the other, especially when the updates come with other new mistakes. To me it remains a mystery.

Reactions: ettorefranco

Mark1937

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
25/3/17
Blue gen color is much similar to XF V2

BIONONE

28/4/17
Blue gen color is much similar to XF V2

I would throw in at least 4 other shots of a rep under different light conditions in comparison to this CGI rendered picture of a gen to make your post even more useless.

sometimes i fear loosing some IQ points when i see those heavily edited (/rendered) gen pictures pop up in threads like this.

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
I would throw in at least 4 other shots of a rep under different light conditions in comparison to this CGI rendered picture of a gen to make your post even more useless.

sometimes i fear loosing some IQ points when i see those heavily edited (/rendered) gen pictures pop up in threads like this.

I agree. An actual side by side comparison would be be best.

Mark1937

Patron
Certified
25/3/17

Sorry?

Reactions: masterpiece777

BIONONE

28/4/17

Not sorry.

What has this useless comparison to do with the ZF release?

You didnt even compare the ZF with XF in this post yet you took a CG picture of a gen to state your point. You don’t see what i miss in the essence of it?

Reactions: QueTip

Mark1937

Patron
Certified
25/3/17
Not sorry.

What has this useless comparison to do with the ZF release?

You didnt even compare the ZF with XF in this post yet you took a CG picture of a gen to state your point. You don’t see what i miss in the essence of it?

XF have correct blue!
That's all.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
XF have correct blue!
That's all.
You can't base that statement on a comparison with a rendered picture!
That's all.

Makes sense?! Refrain from spreading falsely accumulated information. This comparison is as helpful as comparing a black and white picture to a coloured one.

Reactions: BIONONE

Mark1937

Patron
Certified
25/3/17
You can't base that statement on a comparison with a rendered picture!
That's all.

Makes sense?! Refrain from spreading falsely accumulated information. This comparison is as helpful as comparing a black and white picture to a coloured one.

This is better?
In my opinion blue color XF V2 is near to gen. I mean only color. On V2 XF missing only little bit sunburst. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
This is better?
Better but yet not a useful comparison. One can't simply compare pictures between gen and rep that are both shot in completely different setting and ambient. Many factors that influence the way a picture will come out like, so it doesn't really help at all unless you have both side by side in the same room.

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Better but yet not a useful comparison. One can't simply compare pictures between gen and rep that are both shot in completely different setting and ambient. Many factors that influence the way a picture will come out like, so it doesn't really help at all unless you have both side by side in the same room.

+1
Mark1937 what everyone is trying to say, is that for accurate color comparisons, it is best to do so side by side in person and not through pics, and especially not rendered graphics.
There was another member here whose source of knowledge are google and youtube and he would make absolute statements about how the gen is like and how the rep is not, even discarding or overriding gen owner input. It was hilarious.
Color is a tricky aspect. Lighting, filter, angle and of course color perception changes it, and it can sometimes be very subjective.

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
As I said in an earlier post, an actual side by side picture would be best. This would entail taking a ZF 15202 and XF 15202 and physically place them side by side together and take different pictures under the same lighting conditions. Better yet would be is to add a gen AP 15202 to the mix and take pictures of all three together under the same lighting conditions. What could be better to make a proper evaluation? Its been done before with other AP model comparisons, perhaps someone can make it happen again with these models involved.

BIONONE

28/4/17
+1
Mark1937 what everyone is trying to say, is that for accurate color comparisons, it is best to do so side by side in person and not through pics, and especially not rendered graphics.
There was another member here whose source of knowledge are google and youtube and he would make absolute statements about how the gen is like and how the rep is not, even discarding or overriding gen owner input. It was hilarious.
Color is a tricky aspect. Lighting, filter, angle and of course color perception changes it, and it can sometimes be very subjective.

Don’t forget his shop window reference haha

Mark1937

Patron
Certified
25/3/17
I understand you :)
yes that's true.
All the photos I find on the web have different shades. I have often seen the gen of a gentleman working with me, and as soon as I got the XF V2 dial it felt very very close to me. In the various shades of the gen often comes out a blue like the one I tried to describe in the comparison photo. And I can't find that kind of blue in the other dial rep 15202. They seem too dark blue, none except the V2 XF seem to contain that blue I'm talking about.
You are right to say that side by side comparisons are needed, I know this well :) we hope someone can do it soon.

Reactions: masterpiece777

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I understand you :)
yes that's true.
All the photos I find on the web have different shades. I have often seen the gen of a gentleman working with me, and as soon as I got the XF V2 dial it felt very very close to me. In the various shades of the gen often comes out a blue like the one I tried to describe in the comparison photo. And I can't find that kind of blue in the other dial rep 15202. They seem too dark blue, none except the V2 XF seem to contain that blue I'm talking about.
You are right to say that side by side comparisons are needed, I know this well :) we hope someone can do it soon.

you can take a wristshot with said gentleman, with you both wearing 15202s. Side by side achieved lol