• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF Audemars Piguet 15202

Swiss_goupil

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
Funny how they ALWAYS use gen pictures for their marketing. All watch shots on the first picture are gen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Thank you for the mention. Yes the hand base can be beveled and polished, so no worries.

Hey buddy. The pinion of the hour hand of this looks like it has a very large diameter, and beneath it seems, there is an opening in the dial. My apologies if i'm mistaken, but do you think it will solve it by beveling it? Won't it need to take off some material too, and that will probably result in the opening in the dial showing?
You probably have a gen 15202, isn't the diameter much smaller of the hour hand pinion than this ZF? I reckon the pinions of the hands in the XF are better than this ZF.

Erinoush

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
10/7/19
UAE / EUROPE
Funny how they ALWAYS use gen pictures for their marketing. All watch shots on the first picture are gen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

when I saw it first I though wow, they did such a great job... unfortunately the reality hits your face right after you scroll down :-(

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
In what respects is this likely to be better than JF? The lume at least looks correct, so that's a plus.

Thickness for one, JF is 9.5mm vs. ZF's 8.6mm. For reference the XF is 8.5mm thick. Looking forward for the inevitable side to side comparisons/reviews.

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19

I'm buying this just based on this translation alone! Lol

All kidding aside this is a great effort by ZF and I look forward to seeing QC pics and some comparisons with XF. If only ZF or XF could release the 15202IP with correct polishing it would be perfect.

I am a European and also speak and read Chinese and can say legend translation is great!

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
ZF has climbed the steel table peak with God level texture, grinding king!!!

The funny thing is that there are many translations like this all over China. Although I'm sure they laugh at our attempts to translate Chinese as well. 熟能生巧

Reactions: ettorefranco

Updog

18/7/19
Hour hand base:
- Considerable difference in the hour hand base. XF is much better. The ZF hand base looks awful. It's difficult to unsee. I think if i bought it i wouldn't be able to stop looking at it.

Looking at the photos on the first page of the thread, I believe that the hour hand base is as large as it is to hide the large pinion hole in the dial

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Looking at the photos on the first page of the thread, I believe that the hour hand base is as large as it is to hide the large pinion hole in the dial

If this is correct, I hope that ZF didn't make a lot of these dials with an enlarged hole. Otherwise we'll be waiting a long while for a v2 for an improved hand base. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Reactions: jm_brc_7057

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I'm buying this just based on this translation alone! Lol

All kidding aside this is a great effort by ZF and I look forward to seeing QC pics and some comparisons with XF. If only ZF or XF could release the 15202IP with correct polishing it would be perfect.

I am a European and also speak and read Chinese and can say legend translation is great!

I am impressed with the fact that you speak and write Chinese as a European. Hats off, its never an easy language to learn.
You can then tell how hilarious the wechat translation was lol.

Reactions: Allure

N0tail_

1/6/17
The dial tappisserie pattern looks very promising, much like their 15400/15500.

However, it appears they're following XF with poor fitting bezel screws for the initial release even though they've proven that they can do bezel screws at a higher level of precision.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Hey buddy. The pinion of the hour hand of this looks like it has a very large diameter, and beneath it seems, there is an opening in the dial. My apologies if i'm mistaken, but do you think it will solve it by beveling it? Won't it need to take off some material too, and that will probably result in the opening in the dial showing?
You probably have a gen 15202, isn't the diameter much smaller of the hour hand pinion than this ZF? I reckon the pinions of the hands in the XF are better than this ZF.

Looking at the hand base and the pinion opening beneath, I do think that there is enough clearance to do the hand bevel/shave mod without exposing any unsightly gaps.
I don't own the gen 15202 though (nor the rep) as it has never really been my thing.
Here, we need to differentiate the pinion and the hand base width. The pinion is actually the vertical "stem" onto which the hands are fitted on, and the hand base is self-explanatory for most. The pinion hole in the hand is located in the middle of the hand base, and you can imagine that there is no need for the hour hand base to have such ample width around the pinion opening. The gen hands of the 15202, as you already know, has a conical stack which is aesthetically pleasing to peruse visually. No matter how the hands of the rep are modded, this same effect is next to impossible to achieve but improvement over this existing ZF handstack is very possible indeed.

If anyone buys the ZF 15202 and sends it my way I will do the hand mod free for the first one who PMs me and I accept to do the job for.

Last edited:

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
Looking at the hand base and the pinion opening beneath, I do think that there is enough clearance to do the hand bevel/shave mod without exposing any unsightly gaps.
I don't own the gen 15202 though (nor the rep) as it has never really been my thing.
Here, we need to differentiate the pinion and the hand base width. The pinion is actually the vertical "stem" onto which the hands are fitted on, and the hand base is self-explanatory for most. The pinion hole in the hand is located in the middle of the hand base, and you can imagine that there is no need for the hour hand base to have such ample width around the pinion opening. The gen hands of the 15202, as you already know, has a conical stack which is aesthetically pleasing to peruse visually. No matter how the hands of the rep are modded, this same effect is next to impossible to achieve but improvement over this existing ZF handstack is very possible indeed.

If anyone buys the ZF 15202 and sends it my way I will do the hand mod free for the first one who PMs me and I accept to do the job for.

Morning A, I've just placed my order for the ZF and I've sent you a PM. So I'll take you up on that offer if you're agreeable :)

Reactions: Lariram

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
I am impressed with the fact that you speak and write Chinese as a European. Hats off, its never an easy language to learn.
You can then tell how hilarious the wechat translation was lol.

Thank you, I am always learning new words and 成语。I lived in Chengdu for a while and that helped a lot to learn. My reading abilities have lessened over the last years however.

学无止境

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia

Thanks for the explanation buddy. That improvement will also help a lot. It sounds like a promising rep with that mod! I think i will order the ZF too and send it your way for a mod (paid, as Sonofalich was fast haha).