• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF Audemars Piguet 15202

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
your comparison is very nice.
From your images it seems like as on the ppf 5711, both of the rep factories didn't manage to do the bezel bevel right...

Excellent observation, the top brushed area of the bezel looks smaller on the gen when compared to the two reps IMO.

ettorefranco

23/4/20
caput mundi
Another problem concerns the hour hand because although it is as long as that of the gen and the xf (in fact if you look at the pic, all three hands come to touch the 10 o'clock marker), it seems shorter. This is because the large basehand has changed the proportions of the hand making the wide section shorter. Assuming that it is possible to decrease the radius of the basehand by mod, the initial narrow part of the hand (the one indicated with the red arrow in the pic) would lengthen accordingly, altering the proportions even more.
So perhaps it is better to accept the watch for what it is or to hope that ZF will consider eliminating this defect in a future version. Or again, hope for a Legend miracle!

popi2020

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
12/10/20
This is my opinion Much nicer dial on ZF, as colors and as print quality of the AP font, also on links wins. Unfortunately the central pinion and also the thickness (remember that this is an ultra thin) and the ring nut screws make it lose ... As with Noob and ARF, a Combo XF + ZF would be necessary.
on the other hand it's not even a 5k watch ....

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
OK guys gilrob jm_brc_7057

Here is the result of the ZF15202 hand mod. The answer is yes, it can be done but more work is needed to ensure the dial opening below isn't exposed.
Zh7531.jpg

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
legend

The pic is not very clear but it looks like you had to add a metal ring to camouflage the hole. But I'm not sure

Shall we have a friendly bet that I didn’t add a ring or anything to conceal the hole? Why say such things if you’re unsure? The hand base was just trimmed and beveled and that was it. If you’re saying it doesn’t look gen I agree 100%. I started on the premise that I cannot get it to look anywhere close to gen but I can reduce the hand base diameter for the owner without exposing the dial opening. That was all.
:hehehe:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Amazing job by legend !!! Hence the name! Very excited to receive this and make a full review of it.

Here are some pictures of the mod of the hand base. Other mods done includes: Bevelling and polishing of the case and bracelet, silencing the rotor, waterproofing. Next up is touching up of the bezel screws :)

I am very grateful for the work done! Let's face it. We can't just valse down and buy a gen 15202ST. So this is as good as it gets IMO. Also i am very grateful for the polishing of the bracelet. Every single link was disassembled, polished in 4 facets! And re-assembled. Let's just let that sink in.

The hands aren't easy to trim and bevel. Tiny little structures. I think the result is astonishing. And much much better than the standard ZF and in my humble opinion also looking better than the XF. But then again not everyone can agree one everything.

Let's also remember that sometimes we are not making life easy for modders here on RWI. They use a lot of effort, time and skills, but off course they cannot perform miracles: They can only improve what is at hand. And that was certainly done here to extent!

92372383-5ec9-4161-89cf-d082ab36dc28.jpg

6219cbd4-7c29-4a1c-bc8a-c0f7865aa681.jpg

bb49cc73-d6fa-4d3d-ac4e-5bf5281c9cf8.jpg

23f4adb9-73d9-4096-b57b-7be504ba6ff3.jpg

The hole below the hand base is barely visible. In this zoomed-in photo you can see it slightly, but it's not a big deal at all.

625e6947-7de7-426e-98ea-fed6bb68bcde.jpg

Btw the dial color looks amazing on this ZF.

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
legend

The pic is not very clear but it looks like you had to add a metal ring to camouflage the hole. But I'm not sure

Shall we have a friendly bet that I didn’t add a ring or anything to conceal the hole? Why say such things if you’re unsure? The hand base was just trimmed and beveled and that was it. If you’re saying it doesn’t look gen I agree 100%. I started on the premise that I cannot get it to look anywhere close to gen but I can reduce the hand base diameter for the owner without exposing the dial opening. That was all.

Reactions: Allure

ettorefranco

23/4/20
caput mundi

No bets though friendly! I believe 100% what you say! On the other hand, the pic was not so clear and I only described what I thought I saw. Sorry if I said something that bumped you

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
No bets though friendly! I believe 100% what you say! On the other hand, the pic was not so clear and I only described what I thought I saw. Sorry if I said something that bumped you

Lol no man, wasn’t bumped or anything.
Let’s face it, any mod done by any modder, are just DIY stuff done by hobbyists. Does it make the hands 1:1 now? No. The gen 15202 handstack is a beauty to behold. Mods like this are done from with a fun point of view to change an appearance of a watch feature to please the owner. It isn’t done with arrogance or superciliousness in mind, but rather just sharing of what’s possible and the pros and cons of the mod.
I do not have the finesse to recreate the gen AP handstack from the ZF one but I can objectively reduce the hand base diameter. Remember all these are done for fun, let’s not take them too seriously sir :hehehe:

sasquatch951

Supporter
Certified
28/11/18
I think Legend's ZF mod looks great.

Although I'm still a bit torn between the ZF and XF... below is a user picture of the modded XF (by legend as well).

All things considered, (dial colour and print along with XF lume issues) I think ZF modded is the way to go IMO. Just my opinion though.

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I was referring to the opening as legend quoted.

Actually I made a mistake in that post gilrob. What I meant was that more work WAS needed to ensure that the dial opening does not gape below the hand stack. And it was done.

Compared with the XF hands, it was a lot tougher to work with as the hour hand base could not be directly reduced by trimming, because the dial opening seems to be a gaping manhole. So if you’re asking me as the only guy who has seen the modded watch in person in this world, I will tell you that the hole isn’t exposed in real life, but is definitely larger than the xf one. That is my opinion. I will be sending the watch to the rightful owner and will leave it for him to make his comment.
The base rep isn’t perfect but is an amazingly nice watch to wear. Mods done just add to the fun at times I think.
Will invite you to try your hand at it sometime, you may find it a tad more challenging than criticizing it I think lol :lol:

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Actually I made a mistake in that post gilrob. What I meant was that more work WAS needed to ensure that the dial opening does not gape below the hand stack. And it was done.

Compared with the XF hands, it was a lot tougher to work with as the hour hand base could not be directly reduced by trimming, because the dial opening seems to be a gaping manhole. So if you’re asking me as the only guy who has seen the modded watch in person in this world, I will tell you that the hole isn’t exposed in real life, but is definitely larger than the xf one. That is my opinion. I will be sending the watch to the rightful owner and will leave it for him to make his comment.
The base rep isn’t perfect but is an amazingly nice watch to wear. Mods done just add to the fun at times I think.
Will invite you to try your hand at it sometime, you may find it a tad more challenging than criticizing it I think lol :lol:

Thanks for taking the time to provide some insight in the work required to accomplish this particular modification project. In your opinion will the hour hand base from the XF 15202 sufficiently cover the opening/hole of the ZF 15202?

As far as me modding a watch, I don't have the dexterity required and my vision is nowhere near as it once was. My "watchmaking" skills are limited to bracelet sizing and battery changes.

Reactions: legend

Mark1937

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
25/3/17
Amazing job by legend !!! Hence the name! Very excited to receive this and make a full review of it.

Here are some pictures of the mod of the hand base. Other mods done includes: Bevelling and polishing of the case and bracelet, silencing the rotor, waterproofing. Next up is touching up of the bezel screws :)

I am very grateful for the work done! Let's face it. We can't just valse down and buy a gen 15202ST. So this is as good as it gets IMO. Also i am very grateful for the polishing of the bracelet. Every single link was disassembled, polished in 4 facets! And re-assembled. Let's just let that sink in.

The hands aren't easy to trim and bevel. Tiny little structures. I think the result is astonishing. And much much better than the standard ZF and in my humble opinion also looking better than the XF. But then again not everyone can agree one everything.

Let's also remember that sometimes we are not making life easy for modders here on RWI. They use a lot of effort, time and skills, but off course they cannot perform miracles: They can only improve what is at hand. And that was certainly done here to extent!

92372383-5ec9-4161-89cf-d082ab36dc28.jpg

6219cbd4-7c29-4a1c-bc8a-c0f7865aa681.jpg

bb49cc73-d6fa-4d3d-ac4e-5bf5281c9cf8.jpg

23f4adb9-73d9-4096-b57b-7be504ba6ff3.jpg

The hole below the hand base is barely visible. In this zoomed-in photo you can see it slightly, but it's not a big deal at all.

625e6947-7de7-426e-98ea-fed6bb68bcde.jpg

Btw the dial color looks amazing on this ZF.

Beautiful work Legend!!!

ZF color have too much purple inside. Just my opinion ;-)

Reactions: Goldlips55