• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Swimming with AP ROO

Bigbird

Looking Around
29/6/20
Summer's finally here and now that covid restrictions are being released, it was time to pull my ap roo from the box to be my dedicated summer watch. I'm doing this with the intention of wearing it for all normal/ light impact summer activities, so yes for swimming but not for the gym or running. I did some searching on rwi and other forums about doing this with an ap roo and didn't find much. So here's the details:

The watch:
from trusty, AP0413B - Royal Oak Diver SS/RU White JF MY9015 Mod A3120 - $400
States it's 30m WR from the factory. I opted to add the 50m waterproofing as well - $50

It's sadly been in my box for most of 2020 as I didn't want to draw attention with much of the world struggling financially, and not much fun just wearing it just around the house while everything was closed. I took it out today and inspected the seals. All looked good. For added security I added some silicone grease to the seals for the bezel bolt, crown, and opened it up to put some on the caseback o-ring. I even greased up the exposed gasket. I used this same grease on a tudor homage I have been surfing with for the past 2 years so I'm hoping for the same luck here.

Anyway, took a dip in the pool today for about 15 mins and showered with it on afterwards. No sign of any leaks. I realize that this could go south quickly, but I plan on continuing to wear and use the watch in the water as the gen was intended.

Am I crazy or has anyone else worn their roo in the water too?

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
I've swum in about ten of my reps, but they were all pressure tested first. That said, I've not had any of them fail the pressure test either (they too had the seals greased before being tested). So I'd say the odds are in your favour, but sure, there's always a risk. These were all dive watches btw.

Reactions: Bigbird

OiRogers

Renowned Member
24/8/06
I have several reps I'll wear while swimming or snorkeling, but they're all well made divers that have been pressure tested.

I don't see any reason the AP ROO Diver watches *shouldn't* be watertight, especially given a bit of care as you mention.

I ended up buying a fairly cheap tester via ebay that can run up to 3ATM (not a real high pressure, but enough to give the seals a bit of a workout), it was a hair over $100usd shipped but has been worth the outlay for peace of mind.

To date, the only dive watch I've had fail me was a Gen invicta... so no real loss.

Reactions: Bigbird

Bigbird

Looking Around
29/6/20
Ha, After reading on the forums with quite a few people worried about washing their hands with their watch on, I wasn't expecting to find any seals.

This is good to hear from a couple more senior members. I almost figured that all the watches said 30m wr from the factory and I wasn't going to trust that. The pressure tester is something I've been meaning to get especially for my gen watches but somehow that fell off my radar

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
Summer's finally here and now that covid restrictions are being released, it was time to pull my ap roo from the box to be my dedicated summer watch. I'm doing this with the intention of wearing it for all normal/ light impact summer activities, so yes for swimming but not for the gym or running. I did some searching on rwi and other forums about doing this with an ap roo and didn't find much. So here's the details:

The watch:
from trusty, AP0413B - Royal Oak Diver SS/RU White JF MY9015 Mod A3120 - $400
States it's 30m WR from the factory. I opted to add the 50m waterproofing as well - $50

It's sadly been in my box for most of 2020 as I didn't want to draw attention with much of the world struggling financially, and not much fun just wearing it just around the house while everything was closed. I took it out today and inspected the seals. All looked good. For added security I added some silicone grease to the seals for the bezel bolt, crown, and opened it up to put some on the caseback o-ring. I even greased up the exposed gasket. I used this same grease on a tudor homage I have been surfing with for the past 2 years so I'm hoping for the same luck here.

Anyway, took a dip in the pool today for about 15 mins and showered with it on afterwards. No sign of any leaks. I realize that this could go south quickly, but I plan on continuing to wear and use the watch in the water as the gen was intended.

Am I crazy or has anyone else worn their roo in the water too?

Not crazy but by opening things up you pretty much redid the waterproofing that had been done for you— the issue with the case construction of the ROOs is that for waterproofing, getting good coverage of grease on all of the gaskets is pretty important, and EVEN tightening of case bolts is important, as an asymmetric tightening of these bolts can create little leaks on one side, especially if there are any irregularities in the case. You passed the swim test so all is good...