Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The official AP Diver discussion thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Finchoz View Post
    Fellas, I have a JF V10 15703 incoming, which I would like to get modded/frankened. I've gone through maybe 10 pages of the AP thread section and unless I'm missing something, haven't seen any threads that go into detail about modding & frankening this model. If anyone would be so kind is to point me in the right direction for some good reading, that would be much appreciated. I would like to get a feel for the most common mods to have it as gen-like as possible for say $1-2k spend. TIA
    Ok first I would have personally gone with the zf15703 instead of the JF one. But no biggie there.

    These are the mods you can consider doing

    - lowbeat conversion, service and regulation (in fact it’ll be perfect if you can get a 2836 movement from the xf diver for the instant date change like the gen

    - datewheel upgrade (again the xf datewheel works but there are other choices)

    - hand relume to white (some JF 15703 v10 I’ve seen have yellowish lume)

    And that will be it. Not much else to do or needed to be done. All the best!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Today is the Tomorrow you were worried about Yesterday.

    Comment


      Originally posted by legend View Post

      Ok first I would have personally gone with the zf15703 instead of the JF one. But no biggie there.

      These are the mods you can consider doing

      - lowbeat conversion, service and regulation (in fact it’ll be perfect if you can get a 2836 movement from the xf diver for the instant date change like the gen

      - datewheel upgrade (again the xf datewheel works but there are other choices)

      - hand relume to white (some JF 15703 v10 I’ve seen have yellowish lume)

      And that will be it. Not much else to do or needed to be done. All the best!


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Thank you! Originally I was thinking options to be gen dial, gen hands, gen datewheel, gen crown, maybe gen xtal, and case rebrushing/repolishing, but do you think these are not worth it? Rep parts "good enough" OOTB?

      I have a franken 116610LN with most of these mods so that's really the only reason why that's what I thought I'd do to the AP.

      Comment


        Originally posted by Finchoz View Post

        Thank you! Originally I was thinking options to be gen dial, gen hands, gen datewheel, gen crown, maybe gen xtal, and case rebrushing/repolishing, but do you think these are not worth it? Rep parts "good enough" OOTB?

        I have a franken 116610LN with most of these mods so that's really the only reason why that's what I thought I'd do to the AP.
        Firstly you need to know that the gen dw will not work with any movement except gen.
        Second, I personally do not see the value of gen dial, hands, crown, and crystal. This is of course subjective but you will likely kick yourself for paying huge money for all those gen parts and then have it look 95% the same as someone wearing a ZF (or even JF for that matter) diver in the wild.
        For the ZF diver, rep parts are good enough OOTB indeed, no reason to spend all that money for the parts you mentioned. By the time you spend all that money on the gen parts, you may as well save up a little more and get the gen diver, they aren't all that expensive.

        This is my opinion, and others may think and feel differently. Do what makes you happiest and that shall be the primary guiding principle in this hobby.
        Today is the Tomorrow you were worried about Yesterday.

        Comment


          Originally posted by legend View Post

          Firstly you need to know that the gen dw will not work with any movement except gen.
          Second, I personally do not see the value of gen dial, hands, crown, and crystal. This is of course subjective but you will likely kick yourself for paying huge money for all those gen parts and then have it look 95% the same as someone wearing a ZF (or even JF for that matter) diver in the wild.
          For the ZF diver, rep parts are good enough OOTB indeed, no reason to spend all that money for the parts you mentioned. By the time you spend all that money on the gen parts, you may as well save up a little more and get the gen diver, they aren't all that expensive.

          This is my opinion, and others may think and feel differently. Do what makes you happiest and that shall be the primary guiding principle in this hobby.
          Cool, thanks very much. How have you found the reps in terms of the ability to waterproof them?

          Comment


            I have had many SS divers along the years and I can absolutely assure you that this ZF has almost zero faults As legend rightfully pointed out, no point in spending money for gen parts when you only would know the difference because the human eye could not. But hey your money, your choice.

            Also incredibly enough contrary to what legend says, they are not so "not expensive" anymore, lol.
            I'm in love with the shape of Roo // Sucker for 3-6-9 dials

            Comment


              i've just gone through 113 pages of AP diver...
              boy have this watched evolved over the years.
              i remember getting my first AP diver back in 2012?
              i've had at least 6 to 7 of them
              stainless steel and carbon

              i know now the consensus is that the stainless steel version is a super rep
              but it's just too popular and too common
              i want to get something different this time
              which version of non- stainless or carbon could you recommend?

              Comment


                Originally posted by zenmaster View Post
                i've just gone through 113 pages of AP diver...
                boy have this watched evolved over the years.
                i remember getting my first AP diver back in 2012?
                i've had at least 6 to 7 of them
                stainless steel and carbon

                i know now the consensus is that the stainless steel version is a super rep
                but it's just too popular and too common
                i want to get something different this time
                which version of non- stainless or carbon could you recommend?
                if you want something different I saw the JF with updated datewheels both in White or army green; or XF ceramic 15707 - if you can accept the open caseback.

                Otherwise XF 15706
                I'm in love with the shape of Roo // Sucker for 3-6-9 dials

                Comment


                  Originally posted by zenmaster View Post
                  i know now the consensus is that the stainless steel version is a super rep
                  but it's just too popular and too common
                  i want to get something different this time
                  which version of non- stainless or carbon could you recommend?
                  The conflicting issue with well-made or "super" reps is that everyone tend to buy and wear them, and if you happen to have a lot of replica watch owners in your area who are into the same watch, it can be watch commonly seen, and therefore, something which loses its exclusivity. This is my point of view. An AP watch is supposed to be a luxury timepiece, and relatively exclusive and rare. If and when guys show up commonly wearing this around you, it loses its appeal in that aspect, at least for me. That is one reason why I avoid the rep divers completely as far as divers go, and only keep the gen 15711IO in my collection.

                  If you want something different and not SS, go for the ceramic diver 15707 from XF. Guys tend to shun it due to the open caseback, but I personally like it myself. Unless you have to regularly remove the watch from the wrist, the wrong movement peeping through the caseback should not be a concern. The XF15706 forged carbon diver suggested above by superlory is a stellar choice, but again, it is very common in the AP community because of this, and something I will never put on my wrist. Like you, I prefer something more unique and less common, but I do not have the inclination to splurge a few hundred Ks on the APs with super complications.

                  Today is the Tomorrow you were worried about Yesterday.

                  Comment


                    Anyone tried fitting a JF SS diver bracelet to the ZF SS Diver case?


                    Sent from my iPhone using RWI

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by legend View Post

                      The conflicting issue with well-made or "super" reps is that everyone tend to buy and wear them, and if you happen to have a lot of replica watch owners in your area who are into the same watch, it can be watch commonly seen, and therefore, something which loses its exclusivity. This is my point of view. An AP watch is supposed to be a luxury timepiece, and relatively exclusive and rare. If and when guys show up commonly wearing this around you, it loses its appeal in that aspect, at least for me. That is one reason why I avoid the rep divers completely as far as divers go, and only keep the gen 15711IO in my collection.

                      If you want something different and not SS, go for the ceramic diver 15707 from XF. Guys tend to shun it due to the open caseback, but I personally like it myself. Unless you have to regularly remove the watch from the wrist, the wrong movement peeping through the caseback should not be a concern. The XF15706 forged carbon diver suggested above by superlory is a stellar choice, but again, it is very common in the AP community because of this, and something I will never put on my wrist. Like you, I prefer something more unique and less common, but I do not have the inclination to splurge a few hundred Ks on the APs with super complications.
                      the 15707 is really beautiful. I just had hard time pairing it to my outfit most of the times. It's probably just me, mind my words, but I find the 15706 a tad more versatile.
                      I'm in love with the shape of Roo // Sucker for 3-6-9 dials

                      Comment


                        I am thinking of which roo diver I should get.
                        These are my thoughts so far:

                        Option 1: 15703
                        Pro:
                        - Classic Steel watch.
                        - No open case back.
                        - NWBIG status —> closest to gen
                        Con:
                        - Asian 2824 worse than the 9015 miyota.

                        Question: Legend recommends the ZF version instead of the JF v10. Which is the official name of the latest ZF version. Is that also v10?

                        Option 2: 15706
                        Pro:
                        - lighter to wear.
                        - No open case back.
                        - Movement 9015 better reliability than Asian 2824-2.
                        - Higher scratch resistance compared to steel (I guess?).
                        Con:
                        - not NWBIG status. Less close to gen than steel.
                        - Forged carbon is less attractive to me than steel or ceramic.


                        Question: which is the best version in your opinion? I thought about JF V6. Is there a difference to JF 1:1 ultimate edition?

                        Option 3: 15707
                        Pro:
                        - lighter to wear that steel.
                        - Higher scratch resistance compared to steel (I guess?).
                        - I always wanted a scratchproof ceramic watch.
                        - Movement 9015 better reliability than Asian 2824-2.

                        Con:
                        - open case back.
                        - not NWBIG status. Less close to gen than steel.

                        Question: which is the best version in your opinion?

                        Am I missing anything? Thanks for your help!

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Guglhupfer View Post
                          I am thinking of which roo diver I should get.

                          Question: which is the best version in your opinion?

                          Am I missing anything? Thanks for your help!
                          If you want something that is closest to gen- get the ZF 15703. There’s no version to it, it’s the first diver from zf and they’ve done a decent enough job.

                          If you want to go the extra mile, you can always have it modded to bring it closer to gen spec, but keep in mind it’s a rep and it won’t ever be 100%.
                          You can buy a watch but not the time.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Guglhupfer View Post
                            I am thinking of which roo diver I should get.
                            These are my thoughts so far:

                            Option 1: 15703
                            Pro:
                            - Classic Steel watch.
                            - No open case back.
                            - NWBIG status —> closest to gen
                            Con:
                            - Asian 2824 worse than the 9015 miyota.

                            Question: Legend recommends the ZF version instead of the JF v10. Which is the official name of the latest ZF version. Is that also v10?

                            Option 2: 15706
                            Pro:
                            - lighter to wear.
                            - No open case back.
                            - Movement 9015 better reliability than Asian 2824-2.
                            - Higher scratch resistance compared to steel (I guess?).
                            Con:
                            - not NWBIG status. Less close to gen than steel.
                            - Forged carbon is less attractive to me than steel or ceramic.


                            Question: which is the best version in your opinion? I thought about JF V6. Is there a difference to JF 1:1 ultimate edition?

                            Option 3: 15707
                            Pro:
                            - lighter to wear that steel.
                            - Higher scratch resistance compared to steel (I guess?).
                            - I always wanted a scratchproof ceramic watch.
                            - Movement 9015 better reliability than Asian 2824-2.

                            Con:
                            - open case back.
                            - not NWBIG status. Less close to gen than steel.

                            Question: which is the best version in your opinion?

                            Am I missing anything? Thanks for your help!
                            Short answer:

                            1. Best 15703 ==> ZF with mod (cyclob and A2836 with modern DW and low beat mod)

                            2. XF 15706 v3/15707 best with A2836 low beat mod.

                            U choose!

                            Good luck

                            Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Kingquest_s View Post
                              Short answer:

                              1. Best 15703 ==> ZF with mod (cyclob and A2836 with modern DW and low beat mod)
                              I think this sums it up, for the SS diver reps.
                              Really no other mod needed.
                              Today is the Tomorrow you were worried about Yesterday.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Kingquest_s View Post
                                Short answer:

                                1. Best 15703 ==> ZF with mod (cyclob and A2836 with modern DW and low beat mod)
                                Yes, because blurred vision is a known side effect of Cyclobenzaprine and the perfect rep is best seen with blurred vision...err that’s what you meant, right?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X