• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A decade old love.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
We almost never forget our first love. Not even if she (or he) happens to be a pimply overweight teenager who loves her cheeseburgers more than she loves you. 
But for many reasons, we never forget her.

Its the same thing with watches, many of us remember fondly our first watch, or the watch which made us interested in horology. It may not be the most expensive watch in the world, nor may it mean anything to anyone else. But many of us have a watch which have tugged at our heartstrings, or perhaps eluded our ownership for one reason or another, sometimes for years. 

When I first learned of the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Montauk Highway limited edition, (a name which feels almost as long as the eponymous 100mile road connecting Jamaica in the Queens borough in New York to Montauk Point on the south fork of Long Island in the town of East Hampton), it was on a picture on the internet. It was instant desire. I remember calling the AP boutique after reading an article about the watch, and perusing approximately 6000 more pictures, and asking if I could reserve one. I remember the lukewarm and distant voice on the other end informing me, that the Singapore allocated pieces were all sold out. It was the one of the most annoying 10 second phone calls I had and I could even envision the smirk on the face of the sales guy as he said it.

On to the watch and why I loved it, and why I always will. I am no poet, so bear with me while I describe the colors the way I see them:

Encased in the familiar stainless steel case, and ensconced by the masculine octagonal bezel we all love, is a dial of pristine and very slight creamy white, textured of course with the mega tapisserie guilloche pattern which have come to define the modern Royal Oak Offshores. The subdials are a rustic metallic bronze/copper brown and of semi-gloss finish, and the color can change from dark to light brown with the play and scintillation of sunlight, flirting with and reflecting the light off their concentric ringed surfaces unabashedly. The subdials contrast in an almost way with the dial color, separated and enclosed by rose gold subdial rings. The rose gold hands are impeccably finished, and there is no lovelier way to tell time than having the AP rose gold hands announce it silently to you. The same rose gold accents also surround each marker on the dial, perimeters of perfect precious metal finish around the large numerical markers. Prominently, the other color which defines the watch dial is blue. Of the vagaries of hues available, AP chose an aqua pale blue which is dominantly applied on the tachymeter, the hands lume area, the hour markers and the subdial hands. What the color represents is of course open to interpretation. But the conflation of white, blue, gold and brown is undeniably sublime, coming together on a single dial. It evokes for me, feelings of summer, blue skies, and idyllic driving along a long deserted road along the Atlantic ocean. Pardon my digression. It is indeed a dreamy watch, which can be paired with the brown alligator hornback with matching blue stitches for formal or sporty wear, or the perennially favored white rubber straps for that eternal summer look. You cannot go wrong rocking the ROO Montauk Highway in a T shirt and jeans, and likewise, in a white work shirt with sleeves rolled up. The wrist presence of the watch emulates that of a graceful and majestic swan queen, who is nonchalant, poised and beautiful, swimming placidly oblivious to her surroundings. It is a watch which you will embrace, with the cliche "what's there not to love?" looking like it was coined specifically for the perfect response when looking upon the watch for the first time, and for the 8000th time. 
Over the years, I found myself randomly scouring the net for pictures and reviews of the ROO Montauk Highway, and admittedly, the opportunity to buy one. It have been many cases of wrong time, wrong place or wrong price, but in my hearts of hearts, I know that I will one day own this watch, to be the owner of one of the 300 pieces made. 

That day turned out to be today.

Fast forward 10 years, and a local collector friend of mine rang me up yesterday, and offered to sell me his ROO Montauk Highway.This friend is someone I have known for the past 7-8 years, and we have met at several AP events and gatherings, and enjoyed many meals discoursing to each other about watches, life and whiskey. I know that he has in his possession the AP Montauk Highway, but being a fellow hoarder, I would have no sooner asked him to part with his right arm, than I have asked him about selling the watch to me. It turned out that he was selling the watch as he was moving to Australia, and offloading some of his collection. I felt my world, my dreams and my desires coalesce into an utterance of "how much?", two words which bore the burden of sheer disbelief at my serendipity, and also the hope that it will not be yet another instant of wrong price, though the place and time are perfectly aligned this time.

He named the price and my heart sang. I will finally get to own this watch. It is a little like watching a famous actress you desire on the silver screen, and finally being able to waltz with her under the moonlit night for real. OK the feeling is a lot like that. 

I have never seen the AP Montauk Highway in person before today, and I only say that the watch in the flesh (ok in the metal) is more beautiful than any pictorial depiction of the watch which I have seen. The decade long wait has been worth it.

​​​​​​​Welcome home baby.

First look

d6847e022e23572997c345d93eaa5196.jpg

Fun in the sun, where the colors come alive
d570466317f31269baef8e586ea5b9ff.jpg

Resting and beckoning
708e75c609844cbd3ddc8274ac2d6893.jpg

A portrait of desire

72d1afc1ac222ab9b04bb2be01401a78.jpg

And home in the wear rotation box.
04de034ac6f06d930447bded9e13f50f.jpg

Thank you all for reading this.

For the people who care
@quetip
@ tango258
@blackboxes
@yngchrn
@shortlegs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
Congratulations brother, it's such an amazing feeling to finally get something that you've been waiting for so long. I'm very happy for you

Reactions: legend

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
The Montauk Highway... :drool:

I can absolutely second everything that legend has said. It's a beautiful, and hell, I'd even go out on a limb and say THE most beautiful out of all the Offshores in my opinion. I seldom share my personal thoughts on watch models because it's always subjective to each owner and fan respectively and whatever one says, you'll find people agreeing and disagreeing with you but with this piece, I have to chime in.

Why? Because just like Legend, it has also been my all time grail for a long long time. I had the gen MH a fair while back but ultimately made a big mistake and sold it because at that time, I didn't believe the whole sentimental aspect some watches can have on one. Let me tell you, it's a thing. It exists and it's damn real. After I've sold said gen and the sellers remorse kicked in, I was on the hunt for genuine parts to make a build of one for YEARS until a dial has finally found it's way to be gotten, thanks to someone I know who knew how obsessed I am with this combo, you know who you are.

I then have converted it into a special and very customised piece that is very likely to never leave my collection anytime soon. This coming from a serial flipper like me means a lot. And I am happy to be able to call myself a member of the 1% club as there are a total of three (gen and franken) pieces of this 300 limited edition on RWI.

And at last, I want to congratulate my brother legend again on an absolutely stunning piece.

GBB_19NHS

Known Member
12/2/15
UK
amazing write-up. congratulations. I hope one day I will get my dream watch as well. working on it

dullidulli

Certified
3/6/13
Quite a couple of years ago, a Munich second hand watch store sold a used MH. I remember having seen it in the shop window.
That time, I did not really know what it was all about, sadly enough.

Congrats Legend, wonderful piece.

KerwinKey

13/4/19
Congratulations Al legend on the rare beautiful AP.

Very sentimental words that made me went back to take a look at my first watch I purchased in secondary school.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Sometimes it takes awhile to get a sought-for watch. It is fortunate to finally get one of these models as the market for the MH is very hard as people finally caught on to the attraction of this model ten or so years later. Just a little thing in your write up: You describe the hands as rose gold, but on all gen MH models I have seen the h/m hands were always yellow gold. I always liked the write up for the MH on the prozine site: https://www.watchprozine.com/audema...-highway-on-the-wrist-review-by-daos/4045016/
Also, the You Tube video of the launch parts in Long Island with the La Perla models wearing MHs on white rubber is a fun video, with the young Bennahmias (then a North American rep, not yet the CEO) demonstrating his dance moves. QueTip I would be curious to see a pic of your MH Franken build--you can PM me if you want. Personally I have built 2 of them, but I will likely build no more.

Swiss_goupil

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
Congrats [mention]legend [/mention] and thank you for sharing this story with us

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Beautiful story delivered in nice words. Congrats legend, it's an achievement to finally own the timepiece so desired.
Enjoy!

Envoyé de mon ELE-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk