• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen VS ZF rep comparison: grey 15500

Alan2411

Horology Curious
19/5/20
Compared to XF 15202, which watch is better finished? You wrote the ZF 15500 is the best royal oak rep, so you mean it is a better rep overall than the XF 15202 V2?
I just sold my XF V1 today and am considering to buy this ZF 15500 now or buy the XF V2 as the bezel screw positioning really annoyed me on my V1 together with the green dial marker lume.

I gave the XF a baby oil bath and it felt incredibly good afterwards. I can‘t imagine how an AP rep can feel even better than what this rep did.
I have seen the gen 15500 of a friend of mine and from close distance you see the hands pinion has no hole while on some pictures of ZF 15500 I have seen the ZF has a hole.
The whole hands base on XF 15202 is way too wide and can be called out from wrist distance imo.
Is this one of the reasons why you say ZF 15500 is the better rep?
For the movement the XF 15202 looks closer to gen than the ZF 15500 or am I wrong?

Hey mate! So did you get the answer XF or ZF for 15202? I was scrolling the thread to find the reply, unfortunately couldn't find it. Appreciate your reply.

jeremyhuang13

OG and a Supporter
Supporter
4/10/13
Loved this thread. 15500 is now my second favorite outside of 15400. They all look gen to me!!

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
Great tread, this one convinced med to get my first AP rep :)

legend on this tread and on the big one form Kobe, you talk about different mods to soften the bracelet etc.

would you mind sharing a couple of your techniques for us diy people :) I would also love to hear about your plan to recolor the dial

drgjsi

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/2/16
HK
Compared to XF 15202, which watch is better finished? You wrote the ZF 15500 is the best royal oak rep, so you mean it is a better rep overall than the XF 15202 V2?
I just sold my XF V1 today and am considering to buy this ZF 15500 now or buy the XF V2 as the bezel screw positioning really annoyed me on my V1 together with the green dial marker lume.

I gave the XF a baby oil bath and it felt incredibly good afterwards. I can‘t imagine how an AP rep can feel even better than what this rep did.
I have seen the gen 15500 of a friend of mine and from close distance you see the hands pinion has no hole while on some pictures of ZF 15500 I have seen the ZF has a hole.
The whole hands base on XF 15202 is way too wide and can be called out from wrist distance imo.
Is this one of the reasons why you say ZF 15500 is the better rep?
For the movement the XF 15202 looks closer to gen than the ZF 15500 or am I wrong?

i am also looking for the answer for this.

perhaps you should buy both and do a comparision!!!!

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
My black dial arrived today. It really is a beautiful watch, but the bracelet is very sharp. I’m thinking a 3M pad on the backside edges would do the trick. Anyone tried something similar to soften up the edges?

museguy

19/10/12
Yes, you are right. Good spot. I went back to check after your post and confirm that the gen bracelet is slightly thicker. But you will understand that without the gen to compare to, this isn’t a tell in real life.
Z6CW5b.jpg

Dear legend,
Thank you for the very helpful review of the ZF 15500 and your feedback;
"I personally think that the zf15500 is the best out of the box royal oak rep which can be purchased today and that zf did a superlative job. I hardly wear my 15500 and I will consider getting a rep and modding the dial color to match the gen better"​

I understand that there are always tradeoffs with replica watches. Funny how details grab me, but now that I see the difference in the thickness of the bracelet, I cannot unsee it.

Now I am looking back and it seems the same for the ZF 15400 is also thinner than the genuine bracelet by 1mm ?

Is that correct about 1mm thinner ?

Thank you for your as always excellent insights !

Cheers

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Z6CW5b.jpg

Dear legend,
Thank you for the very helpful review of the ZF 15500 and your feedback;
"I personally think that the zf15500 is the best out of the box royal oak rep which can be purchased today and that zf did a superlative job. I hardly wear my 15500 and I will consider getting a rep and modding the dial color to match the gen better"​

I understand that there are always tradeoffs with replica watches. Funny how details grab me, but now that I see the difference in the thickness of the bracelet, I cannot unsee it.

Now I am looking back and it seems the same for the ZF 15400 is also thinner than the genuine bracelet by 1mm ?

Is that correct about 1mm thinner ?

Thank you for your as always excellent insights !

Cheers

Thank you for your kind input and the bracelet thickness difference is closer to 0.5mm. It is not a deal breaker for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure and museguy

Hydrostormpro

Horology Curious
10/2/21
is it actually possible to buy a ZF rep that has been further refinished to be even closer to a gen?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
is it actually possible to buy a ZF rep that has been further refinished to be even closer to a gen?

One definitive trait of the gen Royal Oak is definitely the finish (when new) but over time, like all other stainless steel products, it is not immune to deterioration of luster, marring, scratches etc.
To answer your question, yes the ZF royal oak can be refinished and polished as per gen visually. I doubt that you can request for ZF to do this, but there are modders in the community who can do this work for you.

Reactions: Allure

Hydrostormpro

Horology Curious
10/2/21
One definitive trait of the gen Royal Oak is definitely the finish (when new) but over time, like all other stainless steel products, it is not immune to deterioration of luster, marring, scratches etc.
To answer your question, yes the ZF royal oak can be refinished and polished as per gen visually. I doubt that you can request for ZF to do this, but there are modders in the community who can do this work for you.

cos i saw you mentioned the dial colour not so good and bracelet is rough... thought some minor mods could make it better

modders in the community?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
cos i saw you mentioned the dial colour not so good and bracelet is rough... thought some minor mods could make it better

modders in the community?

The dial color can be modded, and refinished to give a good texture too. And of course, case and bracelet edges can also be smoothened out.
You may be surprised to learn that my gen 15500 bracelet edges had to be softened by me as well, they were also a tad too sharp for my liking.

Hydrostormpro

Horology Curious
10/2/21
The dial color can be modded, and refinished to give a good texture too. And of course, case and bracelet edges can also be smoothened out.
You may be surprised to learn that my gen 15500 bracelet edges had to be softened by me as well, they were also a tad too sharp for my liking.

I highly doubt I have the ability to do the dial

But probably can handle Hand dreamel to get a better finish...

do you do commission? ????

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I highly doubt I have the ability to do the dial

But probably can handle Hand dreamel to get a better finish...

do you do commission? ????

If you’re doing your own bracelet refinish and don’t feel comfortable doing the dial mod yourself, then you need to seek another modder to do the dial mod for you. I prefer not to take on a watch just to do the dial, it won’t be worth my time hope you understand.
There are many talented modders in the community you just need to find one you’re comfortable with all the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hydrostormpro

Horology Curious
10/2/21
ap202101050312.jpg

Is there a reason why they dont use all purple rubies? i noticed some of them are obviously red...

P..DR..D

- Pátrún Bródúil -
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
Thanks a million for this whole thread, starting with the excellent comparison from mid-last year, followed by the subsequent discussion, debate and in depth back and forth.

Have ordered a V2 and cant wait for it to arrive.

Have read through this whole thread and the reassurance its given me just reinforces my choice of my first purchase.

ROYAL OAK 41MM 15500 SS ZF 1:1 BEST EDITION BLACK TEXTURED DIAL ON SS BRACELET A4302 V2

Wristshots to follow, in the appropriate thread of course.