• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen VS ZF rep comparison: grey 15500

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Firstly sorry for taking so long. The rep watch took eons to arrive. Thank you [mention]TidusKun [/mention]for kindly ordering the rep for me to do the comparison. I will do a comparison without the use of a watchmaker loupe because I think what most of you want to know is how the watch appears in real life. On this point, I think that a lot of you will also be interested to know that even gens display manufacturing flaws when viewed under a 10x loupe. I will do a naked eye comparison because this is what matters in real life.

First, let me say that the ZF rep is incredibly well made. The dimensions of the gen and rep are identical to the eyes and the thickness is the same. The bracelet edges are somewhat a little more rough compared with the gen as expected but this is easily taken care of.
0b7dd7b6a497fdfc5055ca22c201be09.jpg

On to a frontal shot

c8ecc70f357da7af4bddf02c96a1714d.jpg

This is where the main difference in the rep is. The color of the gen is lighter, and the tapisseries look slightly different in terms of shape. The color is a tell when placed next to the gen, but it looks very good on its own. For those of you who think that the black dial color is spot on, I can only say here for the record that it is not, and the dial texture for the gen and rep dials will look different no matter what color you choose.

The print on the rep dial is very slightly thicker but AP logo looks identical. There is no difference in the crystals visually. The hands of the gen are noticeably better finished and looks a lot more refined in person, and same goes for the gen bezel screws. The dial markers of the gen and rep watches look identical. There are very subtle differences in the datewheel font but not enough to be a concern in real world. So much for the date font being “unreppable” lol.

The bezel screws are in fact more sunken on the rep than the gen. In the gen the screws are flushed with the bezel surface. On the rep they’re imperceptibly sunken.

6590161ed4add28a3700a468ec54ea5e.jpg

Very slight differences seen in the crown, with the rep one appearing much more polished. But this is not a concern and easily addressed.
The screws attaching the case to the bracelet on the gen are a lot more refined but these are very fine details.

3b2b0815efc799f80f6bf948b2c1e2b7.jpg

Slight but again meaningless difference between the gen and rep clasp plate. As mentioned the rep bracelet feels more rough to the touch (with plastic cover removed of course) the link connectors are equally polished in both the gen and rep. I will recommend the rep edges be softened for comfort of wear, as well as the bevels polished up a little to emulate the gen finish better. No big difference to me however.

The 4302 caliber used in the gen and the miyota used in the rep looks entirely different of course. I did not include this because pics of the movements can be easily googled. The rep I’ve received has a very noisy and tinny sounding movement but I’ll be fixing this for the owner.

Overall, for $500, the zf15500 is exceptionally well made. The main tells of the watch are the dial colors and textures (including the black and blue), the movement and the refinement of details in the hands, bezel screws and bracelet not present in the rep. The last are details which cannot be spotted in real life unless you spend time to scrutinize the watches 30cm from your eyes. If a gen dial is dropped into the rep, I can safely say that it cannot be called out on the wrist unless you’re an AP god like [mention]QueTip [/mention]

If you’re on the fence about this, buy it. It will be an enjoyable watch as long as you don’t try to fool anyone into believing that it’s a gen. The movement looks entirely different though the casebacks are very close. Worn on its own, it is a beautiful watch. It is only when placed next to a gen that the dial color and text differences become apparent.

I personally think that the zf15500 is the best out of the box royal oak rep which can be purchased today and that zf did a superlative job. I hardly wear my 15500 and I will consider getting a rep and modding the dial color to match the gen better for wearing as either one will be blatant scratch magnets.

Please ask the questions you have, and I will try my best to answer them. My review is aimed at being brief and to the point as to where the meaningful differences lie.

If you have a question which isn’t answered in this comparison please ask thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revolper

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/7/18
Nice read, thanks.

Last edited:

James2020

1/6/20
Wow, nice rep and thanks for the review!

im curious about the noise you mentioned. Is it the rotor noise? I’m curious how much you managed to dampen the noise. As per my PM, I’m keen to get one but I’m still deliberating becos I hate noisy rotor

Tompa

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
Good jobb buddy. Thanks! Verry intresting i must say

Skickat från min Sputnik satellit

Reactions: foeshizie

Lawny

23/7/19
UK
I’ve been looking forward to this and it didn’t disappoint. Legend by name and nature. Thank you for the review!

Is the bracelet slightly thicker on the gen or is it just the angle?

Last edited:
Reactions: museguy

Swiss_goupil

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
Thank you for this great comparison A.

When you say modding the dial, do you mean going gen or do you have any other mod in mind?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Wow, nice rep and thanks for the review!

im curious about the noise you mentioned. Is it the rotor noise? I’m curious how much you managed to dampen the noise. As per my PM, I’m keen to get one but I’m still deliberating becos I hate noisy rotor

It is the typical miyota bearing sound but this is an easy fix. Also not every watch will be noisy.

Reactions: Allure

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I’ve been looking forward to this and it didn’t disappoint. Legend by name and nature. Thank you for the review!

Is the bracelet slightly thicker on the gen or is it just the angle?

Yes you are right. Good spot. I went back to check after your post and confirm that the gen bracelet is slightly thicker. But you will understand that without the gen to compare to, this isn’t a tell in real life.

Reactions: Allure and Lawny

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thank you for this great comparison A.

When you say modding the dial, do you mean going gen or do you have any other mod in mind?

I mean I intend to repaint the dial closer to match the gen color. And if Zeula makes fun of my dial mod again I’ve promised to put him in a sharpshooter (the Bret Hart variety)

Reactions: Allure

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Once again, as to be expected by the one and only legend this thread is a class of its own. Absolutely nailed it, very detailed and nicely written by one of the, if not most knowledgable guy on here.
Thanks a lot for this legend

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
The long awaited versus!

We can clearly say ZF did a good job for the 1st iteration!

Don't missmatch the ZF/Gen when shipping it back to the owner, just kidding ofc :<)

Thanks for your time!

nobigdeal2010

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
11/11/13
CONUS
Thank you for the honest review legend. Would love to see some dial comparison shots in natural light!

Reactions: legend

Zeula

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
17/9/17
Harem
I mean I intend to repaint the dial closer to match the gen color. And if Zeula makes fun of my dial mod again I’ve promised to put him in a sharpshooter (the Bret Hart variety)

LMAOOOOOO

FREEWIFI

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
24/2/19
Many thanks for the review!!

Actually I’m thinking of giving a first try to an AP rep :)

asuwere

2/6/19
Bracelet links look slightly thicker on the gen. What's the weight difference?

Last edited:
Reactions: museguy