• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Code 11.59

Prince.Pam

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
2/2/20
The CEO claimed the AP Code 11.59 is impossible to replicate. Is this true, or just a marketing claim?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
The CEO claimed the AP Code 11.59 is impossible to replicate. Is this true, or just a marketing claim?

It’s a very subjective statement. A more accurate way to ask is: how well can they rep the code 11.59?

Look at it this way, they’ve replicated the ROO, diver, and RO including the 15500 and none of them are perfect. But they’ve still repped them, flaws and all. Likewise, they can rep the code 11.59 too, along with flaws. The result will probably look like the 11.59 but I’m guessing without the double curved crystal and other intricate details. So no gen is “unreppable” but rather, how flawed the rep is VS the gen. It is up to the market and individual owners to accept the rep and its flaws and for the rep factories to improve the rep from v2 to Vx. Some features they’ll likely never get right and other details will be passable.
The code 11.59 isn’t a well received watch anyway, despite AP’s aggressive marketing and claims that it’s sold out everywhere. Guys who bought it, like I did (I was a brief code 11.59 owner!) likely did so to bump their client profile and gain allocation rights for the watches they REALLY want to buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prince.Pam

Banned
2/2/20
Thanks for the knowledgable feedback. Actually I do not like the 11.59 design, but the details are amazing. I would love to see a factory that can replicate this. Just for curiosity. It would be a interesting challange.

Reactions: legend

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Perfect response from legend. I think the CEO is undervaluing Chinese “innovation” :) The level and quality of talent is pretty amazing both in Le Brassus and Guangzhou :) :)

Prince.Pam

Banned
2/2/20
Wow, having seen the complexity of the Code 11.59 construction paired with the exceptional love to detail, I would truly love to see the result of a replica.

Any information if a factory is currently attempting a try?

Lobster2010

Supporter
Certified
4/9/10
Doubt they will make this piece considering it isn't the most popular AP on the market. Royal Oaks remain the bread and butter in the AP rep game.

Reactions: legend

Shadow_

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
Banned
11/6/09
i really wonder when factories are going to start replicate complicated watch such as the perpetual calendar moonphase....

monkeypie

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/12/08
i really wonder when factories are going to start replicate complicated watch such as the perpetual calendar moonphase....

What movement would you recommend they use?

This is often the biggest limiting factor.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
What movement would you recommend they use?

This is often the biggest limiting factor.

If you look at the 15500 rep, they used the miyota as a replacement. The code 11.59 uses the same cal 4302 in the basic models and cal 4400/4401 in the chrono models. Rep makers have been using replacement movements all these years in replicas, that is not a concern nor a limiting factor. The gen AP ROO movement is the 3126/3840 stacked chrono and it’s been replaced by the A7750 sec@12 movement in the rep ROOs. Same applies for the gen VS rep royal oak chrono models. Gen plates, jewels and decorations are replaced by faux ones in the rep. Transfer gears are used to create the second hand in the correct position.
The Chinese are good at innovating solutions to overcome the natural barriers put up by the watchmakers for the movements, we must concede. So even for the moonphase and perpetual calendar models, they have come up with watered down versions of these models. Laughable, but you can see them all over lol.

On the wrist the functions remain largely the same. The real limit in repping the code 11.59 will be the double curved crystal, the midcase/bezel construction and the lugs. These are very intricate in design and this is one of the few watches which does better when the fine craftsmanship are admired off the wrist, rather than having it appreciated on the wrist, at least for me.

Anyway I agree with what the guys above said: the code 11.59 isn’t aesthetically pleasing at all and it does not have the same appeal as the royal oak and offshores which we’ve come to adore. I am not looking forward to seeing it repped and even the gen wasn’t a watch I kept for more than a week lol.

Last edited:

Daher

3/7/19
This watch is so ugly, I doubt it would even sell good as a replica LOL.

RockerArm

Known Member
2/10/19
EU
... 'when' and 'if' the 1159 will be as famous and appreciated on the market like the Royal Oak actually is, so we will have a nice rep from our Chinese fabrics.... maybe with some flaws... to be improved in the V2... ;)

By the way, I have a double doomed sapphire crystal on my Seiko Sumo diver bought fron a specialized guy in HK.

wei915

Horology Curious
21/10/19
Recently, I had some thoughts about the Code 11.59. I think this watch would be so much better if the traditional RO dial layout is implemented onto the Code 11.59's dial - Date window at 3, double batons at 12, AP logo at 6. Perhaps that could be a good franken/mod project for legend :sFun_mischieviousbi

Last edited:

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
The other factory (oxf if I recall) did a kinda better job to my eyes.

No one reviewed this new release.

For being honest I only know 1 guy who bought a Code and he ended to C&R it. lol.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
AP is mostly using the code 11.59 as a bait for consumers to be allocated the watches they REALLY want. The series is something which is quite unpopular among collectors though AP will never admit this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Allure

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
Sounds like a major watch manufacturers doing the same thing since years now.