• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A tale of two 15400s

Modificata

I'm Pretty Popular
23/9/14
London, England
I don’t know if this has been shared before but thought I would. Recently been reading a lot of posts about the colour of watches and accuracy to gens. The blue 15400 is often spoken about and we assume the white and black are more accurate.

This video is about two gen white dial 15400 made in the same year yet still different. You would assume the watches would all be uniform but they are not. Worth a check.

https://youtu.be/XojNFSYi6ec

Blue Ocean

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/12/17
I knew there were different shades but it seems more related to production QA than AP strategy to introduce dial variations

Modificata

I'm Pretty Popular
23/9/14
London, England
I knew there were different shades but it seems more related to production QA than AP strategy to introduce dial variations

Yes I don't think its a deliberate difference. Maybe something to do with batch consistency. I actually prefer the colour of the left watch, but like the hour markers of the right. Interesting I thought.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I don’t know if this has been shared before but thought I would. Recently been reading a lot of posts about the colour of watches and accuracy to gens. The blue 15400 is often spoken about and we assume the white and black are more accurate.

This video is about two gen white dial 15400 made in the same year yet still different. You would assume the watches would all be uniform but they are not. Worth a check.

https://youtu.be/XojNFSYi6ec

The silver and black dials also come in variants on the gen, sometimes even in the same series.

For example, there is a semi-matte dial version of the 15400 which is more white than silver. There is also a charcoal variant of the black 15400, and one which is more obsidian in tone and shine.
I even own a 15400 I series with a semi-matte dial and it looks totally different from my friend's J series blue.
The guys here obsess too much about color differences seen on screens. But color interpretation is subjective and even more so when viewed off the internet.
I have never belonged to the majority who think that the blue is less accurate than the silver or black. Firstly, I can say that the rep black and silver dials can be equally "inaccurate" in hue and finish vs the gen (depending on the version) and even compared with the closest gen counterpart, variance still exists when viewed in person.
To everyone who wants a 15400, just buy the color you like. If you want an accurate dial color, the only way is to buy a gen, instead of expecting the rep color to look gen, or trying to spend time to seek confirmation that a certain color is more accurate than others.