• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

**** V5 - What AP are you wearing today??? ****

Status
Not open for further replies.

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
fb2717adaf7ed309aae9e33d8418e442.jpg

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
What do you mean by interesting? :D
What should he mean lol. It's an interesting project, that's it :p
But I'm wondering also, how did you go on with the fact it's open CB since it doesn't have a gen cal. Did you leave the open cb and have the LWO peaking or did you put a close caseback on it?

Reactions: legend

Limpy

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
3/7/16
EU
i would go open Caseback with LWO shining through. either way: A closed CB would be incorrect for that model and raise questions - why would you want to hide the nice AP Caliber?! LWO showing will also raise questions. only thing that would work is a Rep rotor of the gen cal. fitted to the LWO movement. Workload would be reasonable and withstand the short peak of an untrained eye. Only few would go and look for balancewheel positien etc.

on the other hand I heared voices that some rework the decoplate for fitting it to LWO - that will most definately make the builds a bit thicker but its a sh*t work to do

Tbh - the watch is on your wrist and Caseback is not revealed unless you take the watch off. just leave it there sitting on the wrist and no one will see this flaw..

Hublot1704

I'm Pretty Popular
26/5/17
I still go with open caseback :) I don't want to pass it as gen and Tommy had the nice idea of plating the rotor in yellow gold :) of course the lwo movement is not as beautiful as the gen caliber, some would say it is miiiiiles away from being even nice to look at :D but I like it as it is and if somebody asks the reaction that this one is built out of different parts, even gen parts, is always a wow factor :)
e5e7d954e5da13a23e8bb87f84938e8c.jpg

Gesendet von meinem COL-L29 mit Tapatalk

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I still go with open caseback :) I don't want to pass it as gen and Tommy had the nice idea of plating the rotor in yellow gold :) of course the lwo movement is not as beautiful as the gen caliber, some would say it is miiiiiles away from being even nice to look at :D but I like it as it is and if somebody asks the reaction that this one is built out of different parts, even gen parts, is always a wow factor :)
e5e7d954e5da13a23e8bb87f84938e8c.jpg

Gesendet von meinem COL-L29 mit Tapatalk

A franken project is always a conversation topic with the right people. It isn’t about whether your watch is gen but rather what is gen in it. Nobody will despise a franken if it’s presented appropriately. Some may even find the build interesting or fascinating.

The first things franken owners need to know is that with builds like this, it’ll never look gen. That’s why it’s called called a franken in the first place. A project watch to wear rather than a true luxury watch for collectors . As long as you like it, then it is a good watch for you to own and wear.
Secondly I do agree with your decision to use an open caseback. Yes the movement is nothing to look at BUT it shows you’re not trying to hide the story of the watch. I’m more into the way a watch is presented rather than the watch itself. Here I’ve seen frankens which look like cheap watches bought off the night markets, the top-tiered ones which can pass off as gen on the wrists upon casual glance, and everything in between. My own gens do not impress me (I see them as my watches nothing more), and nothing I see here will. It’s not about the cost of the watch but rather the story of the build and that was why I said I follow builds like Limpy’s and Flying-Tommy’s. Every AP franken has a story and some owners take time to share theirs with us and I appreciate that a lot. In the same way thank you for sharing yours as well. An AP franken is a personal statement but not something to impress others with. It is a story to share and I’ll rather hear about that specific story than large hi-res pics putting all the imperfections of the watch on show without an introduction.
This is a forum and if you do not tell your own story it is inevitable that someone will form his own conclusion on what the watch is about.

Thank you for sharing yours [mention]Hublot1704 [/mention]

Reactions: Allure and QueTip

Hublot1704

I'm Pretty Popular
26/5/17
A franken project is always a conversation topic with the right people. It isn’t about whether your watch is gen but rather what is gen in it. Nobody will despise a franken if it’s presented appropriately. Some may even find the build interesting or fascinating.

The first things franken owners need to know is that with builds like this, it’ll never look gen. That’s why it’s called called a franken in the first place. A project watch to wear rather than a true luxury watch for collectors . As long as you like it, then it is a good watch for you to own and wear.
Secondly I do agree with your decision to use an open caseback. Yes the movement is nothing to look at BUT it shows you’re not trying to hide the story of the watch. I’m more into the way a watch is presented rather than the watch itself. Here I’ve seen frankens which look like cheap watches bought off the night markets, the top-tiered ones which can pass off as gen on the wrists upon casual glance, and everything in between. My own gens do not impress me (I see them as my watches nothing more), and nothing I see here will. It’s not about the cost of the watch but rather the story of the build and that was why I said I follow builds like Limpy’s and Flying-Tommy’s. Every AP franken has a story and some owners take time to share theirs with us and I appreciate that a lot. In the same way thank you for sharing yours as well. An AP franken is a personal statement but not something to impress others with. It is a story to share and I’ll rather hear about that specific story than large hi-res pics putting all the imperfections of the watch on show without an introduction.
This is a forum and if you do not tell your own story it is inevitable that someone will form his own conclusion on what the watch is about.

Thank you for sharing yours [mention]Hublot1704 [/mention]

Thank you legend for your kind words! An AP Franken is indeed an object of creating an own story :) hunting the parts, the waiting until it is all assembled, maybe some customizations, and even some fantasy ideas that are realized. Also getting in contact with different people even from different parts of the world is an aspect of an AP Franken :) it is a very exciting process from a stock rep to a completed Franken build :)

Reactions: QueTip and legend
Status
Not open for further replies.