• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

**** V5 - What AP are you wearing today??? ****

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tompa

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
8596a3ae4ed4d1ab40afcf3a55c9ded4.plist

Skickat från min Sputnik satellit

AP2003

Known Member
15/11/19
You haven’t gotten the large tachy/bezel gap fixed yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legend, question on this. What causes that large tacky bezel gap?
I know some Noob ROO came with a bigger crystal, 32.5 compared to 32 I believe. Does that cause the gap or does it also happen on the JF ROO with the 32mm crystal?

Tompa

Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
You haven’t gotten the large tachy/bezel gap fixed yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its the same issue on gen so i dont bother to mutch. Maybe its smaler on gems but its a gap there. Se pictures, but offcourse i want to fix it but its not somthing that bothers me.
Gen:
f364e3a25526e1aa2ef96750738ae649.png

d5e19444d0ecfa5267c6f5ecc4a12e44.png

And my RC:
2ae4af46d9bd32389cbef7c6f640b280.plist

525de97f04789574f199e5fb3ebcaaae.plist

Tompa

Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
Legend, question on this. What causes that large tacky bezel gap?
I know some Noob ROO came with a bigger crystal, 32.5 compared to 32 I believe. Does that cause the gap or does it also happen on the JF ROO with the 32mm crystal?

On a franken its because the movment/dial sits deeper in the case than standard rep does. Its a lot thinner movment. Some have fixt it with thicker crystal. Diver crystal or gen crystal. And some other have fixt it with shave the bezel a little bit. Maybe legend can tell any other tricks :)

stanevo6

computer says no
29/5/17
The Low Lands
Tompa if the franken movement sits deeper in the case, does that not give problems with the stem? And Why has my XF DIver FC the same thickness as the Gen? Has that something to do with the movement?

Oh here we read in the newspapers that your government is planning to forbid to store wood in the garden (even if it is your own garden) for heating purposes in the house , is that true??? Co2 Shit and so on

happy new year to all the AP lovers. Lets make it a good year.

Last edited:

Tompa

Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
Because your diver uses a a2836/24 movment and Not a chronograf movment :) chronograf movment is thicker.
But i have no clue about the steam issue. Maybe your are right

AP2003

Known Member
15/11/19
On a franken its because the movment/dial sits deeper in the case than standard rep does. Its a lot thinner movment. Some have fixt it with thicker crystal. Diver crystal or gen crystal. And some other have fixt it with shave the bezel a little bit. Maybe legend can tell any other tricks :)

So is the crystal supposed to sit on the tacky?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Its the same issue on gen so i dont bother to mutch. Maybe its smaler on gems but its a gap there. Se pictures, but offcourse i want to fix it but its not somthing that bothers me.
Gen:

Yes, gaps actually exist in the gen between the tachy and bezel, dnd yes, on the gen rubberclads, the gaps are larger due to the different movement used (2326/2840 instead of 3126/3840) so you do have a point there. My point is simply that the gap should not be so large.
Even my gen 26470s have the same gaps, but my point is that you should seek to lessen it a little, to preserve the geometry of the watch when viewed from multiple angles.
But at the end of the day, if you are happy with it, its your watch to wear and love.
I am just sharing what I know to help make your franken look better. I am working on a rubberclad franken now, and will share pics when I am done. There is a proper distance between the dial surface and the inner surface of the crystal, and having the proper distance creates the proper appearance for the watch, instead of having it deeper down. If you place a gen rubberclad next to any franken, you can see this. It is not obvious, but it is there.

Reactions: Allure and Tompa

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Tompa if the franken movement sits deeper in the case, does that not give problems with the stem? And Why has my XF DIver FC the same thickness as the Gen? Has that something to do with the movement?

Oh here we read in the newspapers that your government is planning to forbid to store wood in the garden (even if it is your own garden) for heating purposes in the house , is that true??? Co2 Shit and so on

happy new year to all the AP lovers. Lets make it a good year.

AP2003 Tompa stanevo6

Tompa is mostly right about the cause of the gap in AP frankens.
The diver case is different Stane. The crystal, bezel, midcase and caseback all differ from the ROO, and the parts are generally thicker and more robust to accommodate the pressure of prolonged water submersion. So divers are generally slightly thicker than ROOs.
In all AP frankens, the original crown opening is welded and then a new one reopened lower. A movement holder secures the movement and aligns the stem to the new opening.

At the end of the day, its just a hobby building frankens, and we try to give suggestions on how to improve an already nice looking watch like Tompa's RC franken. Tompa, if I manage to resolve the gap issue in the current RC franken to my satisfaction, I will be happy to do the same for yours.

AP2003

Known Member
15/11/19
legend
Thank you for the explanation. What is the proper way to fix that gap? Is it best to shave the bezel and make the bezel thinner ROOs with SS bezel. For the Rubberclad, I don't know how shaving the bezel would be possible, so do you do something different for those. The extent of my skills is being able to change the band and take the caseback off. But I am always curious how you modders work this magic and love seeing the end results.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
legend
Thank you for the explanation. What is the proper way to fix that gap? Is it best to shave the bezel and make the bezel thinner ROOs with SS bezel. For the Rubberclad, I don't know how shaving the bezel would be possible, so do you do something different for those. The extent of my skills is being able to change the band and take the caseback off. But I am always curious how you modders work this magic and love seeing the end results.

The rubberclad bezel is actually a stainless steel bezel "clad" in rubber, and hence the name. On the rose gold RC, the bezel is rose gold like the case.
But no, shaving the bezel will not help, or modifying the tachy, as we will be replacing one flaw with another. I work with the movement positioning instead and adjust the rest of the components around this.

Reactions: Allure
Status
Not open for further replies.