• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The first salmon dial 15202BC automatic watch from XF

monkeypie

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/12/08
Apologies for the necromancy, but just saw another gen for sale if anyone is interested.

The gen color is basically a dull-gold / mustard color - almost like a musty old carpet. Audemars Piguet text is very thin and almost invisible from a distance. This was looking through the store window with showroom spotlights, and bright noon-time sun on my side.

The XF that I had for a while is too yellow in any lighting. Ironically it looks better or more vibrant compared to the gen, which looks very 'dull' or washed out even.

Compared to the newest green 15202 (or any other 15202), this was extremely underwhelming in person and almost makes you feel AP was just 'dialing' it in, and that the main selling point is the 150 units per year.

Accord11

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
2/12/20
I did not buy this 15202 because the dial color is intolerably off and miles different from the gen. I’m waiting on a V2 with a correct dial color before I’m a buyer of this.

It’s a rep and I’m not expecting perfection, but they couldn’t even get remotely close with the dial color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: monkeypie

monkeypie

9/12/08
You are right there Accord. I thought a lot of it was due to lighting, which many posts in this thread have shown. But the gen itself is so underwhelming.

It is probably one of the instances where the rep is probably better than the gen (dial wise at least).

Granted most people won't see a gen, but once you do, its way too obvious.

Accord11

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
2/12/20
You are right there Accord. I thought a lot of it was due to lighting, which many posts in this thread have shown. But the gen itself is so underwhelming.

It is probably one of the instances where the rep is probably better than the gen (dial wise at least).

Granted most people won't see a gen, but once you do, its way too obvious.

The gen itself is spectacular and the dial color is what tells people this is a very special timepiece, a very rare white gold Royal Oak. This is not an appropriate first Royal Oak, most gen owners of this timepiece are prolific AP collectors with many other Royal Oaks as it is not even possible to purchase the gen unless you have a long-standing relationship and deep purchase history (at least a half million dollars) with one of the AP boutiques.

If a gen dial was available, this would be an unbelievable franken. But a gen dial is likely unobtainable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raytron

Known Member
28/6/19
No serious factory recently tries to work on that watch. A bummer. I’d like to see more and perhaps buy an updated version with a more gen like dial

Reactions: monemone71

raytron

Known Member
28/6/19
I wouldnt mind if they try again and give that thing an update but lately nothing is happening with that model.

jkrw247

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/21
XF 15202BC

On RIGHT = Rhodium plated, with custom dial
On LEFT = Stock XF

Notice how the case and bracelet of the modded watch look remarkably brighter​

3DklV4.jpg

3DkQwj.jpg

Sunburst comparison between stock dial and custom dial​

Last edited:

Qoqa

22/2/21
It does look really good, but the screw at 11 is off :)
Dial and polishing seems almost perfect, even if it's hard to tell without the gen aside

Thanks for sharing !

jkrw247

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/21
It does look really good, but the screw at 11 is off :)
Dial and polishing seems almost perfect, even if it's hard to tell without the gen aside

Thanks for sharing !
I have fixed the screw alignment. I will share more pics later.

And yes, it resembles gen very much! I like this watch very much now, and I am clearing out my normal Daytonas so that I may wear this more! :D

jkrw247

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/21
Looks pretty good in certain light conditions, and at other times it’s way too yellow. A decent attempt at a 100k+ watch
Yes the dial color is not 100% gen spec but it's more salmon-ish looking than stock and has better sunburst too which makes it more dazzling. Adding to the dazzle is the rhodium plate which shines even brighter than white gold.

On the gen, the dial transitions between the colors of salmon orange-pink and honey gold depending on the lighting.

Under some specific lightings, the custom dial can be indistinguishable from gen.

This is an extremely extremely exclusive watch with only 40pcs listed on Chrono24 and which goes for around 200K usd. Even some very experienced people have never seen one IRL and if needed you can easily convince them that your rep is really a "variation" of gen

I will say it again, this is the most beautiful AP I have ever had! :D

After CNY I am going to get the blue dial version done

Last edited:

jkrw247

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/21
Your watch would deserve a hand base fix or custom/gen hands.
It definitely could. I might consider upgrading the hands later on, but right now that level of detail doesn't bother me.

The thing that bothers me, however, is the rigidness of the endlinks. I need to sand them down a little to open up the bracelet more and make it conform to my wrist better.

Last edited:

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
It definitely could. I might consider upgrading the hands later on, but right now that level of detail doesn't bother me.

The thing that bothers me, however, is the rigidness of the endlinks. I need to sand them down a little to open up the bracelet more and make it conform to my wrist better.
Yes, this is a typical modding necessity of APRO and Nautilus reps depending on wearer's wrist.

monemone71

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
2/8/22
Firenze
One of the small flaws is the different clasp, which for the 15202 in white gold, platinum and gold is different from the full steel clasp.

Xf/ZF rep models have clasp identical to steel models

beanie 236

6/8/19
Yes the dial color is not 100% gen spec but it's more salmon-ish looking than stock and has better sunburst too which makes it more dazzling. Adding to the dazzle is the rhodium plate which shines even brighter than white gold.

On the gen, the dial transitions between the colors of salmon orange-pink and honey gold depending on the lighting.

Under some specific lightings, the custom dial can be indistinguishable from gen.

This is an extremely extremely exclusive watch with only 40pcs listed on Chrono24 and which goes for around 200K usd. Even some very experienced people have never seen one IRL and if needed you can easily convince them that your rep is really a "variation" of gen

I will say it again, this is the most beautiful AP I have ever had! :D

After CNY I am going to get the blue dial version done
Is there a post where you have more details about the rhodium plating?