• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Yet another feedback for Legend

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
Hi fam,

Months ago i've received my JF 15400 V4, but sadly didn't had time to post a feedback about the work done by legend

Work was thinning, rotor silencing, markers realignment.

Thinning is such a hugh improvement for the JF 15400, it looks and feel so good when wearing it, rotor silencing as well, chopper sounds is gone (lol), and markers alignments was neeeded.

I was wondering if i should go for the zf 15400 or stick with the jf, my choice is done, i'll stick with jf even if the dial is not good as the zf one, but for the case and bracelet jf remain the best (for now)

Btw, I don't have caliper, so can't give you the thickness size post thinning process.

Pardon my english, I try to do that without translator, anyway, place for some pictures!

photo-2019-12-09-15-59-15.jpg

hebergeur de photos

photo-2019-12-09-15-59-13.jpg

hebergeur de photos

photo-2019-12-09-15-59-06.jpg

hebergeur de photos

Last edited:

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
"Swiss like" "perfect" ... hmm. I am finding it increasingly strange to read these feedback reviews of legend on a brand forum. It might just be a matter of information architecture and tidiness, but wouldn't these belong better in a dedicated "trusted modder" section for legend at RWI? As legend knows, I have recently tried to encourage him to become a trusted modder here at RWI for many reasons, this amongst one of them. Or are all modders now permitted to boost their reputation by redirecting glowing reviews from their clients to this section as a means of self-promotion? Or is legend somehow a special case?

Reactions: gilrob and d3xophen

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
"Swiss like" "perfect" ... hmm. I am finding it increasingly strange to read these feedback reviews of legend on a brand forum. It might just be a matter of information architecture and tidiness, but wouldn't these belong better in a dedicated "trusted modder" section for legend at RWI? As legend knows, I have recently tried to encourage him to become a trusted modder here at RWI for many reasons, this amongst one of them. Or are all modders now permitted to boost their reputation by redirecting glowing reviews from their clients to this section as a means of self-promotion? Or is legend somehow a special case?

Well, i'm not the first to post feedback about their modded watch, just wanted to show the work done on my watch and at the same time providing a feedback to the guy who did the job.
Btw, Legend never asked me to post a feedback.
For the rest, can't tell you more.
If there's any issue with my feedback, or if there's a better place to post it, a mod can certainly move it to the appropriate subforum.

Reactions: Raddave

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
"I am not the first"--yes, precisely, there are others as well, and I am happy you are happy with your watch modification by legend: in some regards, that is all that matters. And by proclaiming your happiness here in a general brand forum, you probably reach alot more eyeballs than by reviewing him in a dedicated modder or watchmaker or dealer forum for legend. However, if it is meant to be an objective review of a case thinning modification and a high quality marker re-alignment, it would be nice to have some caliper measurements of the mid-case width measurement before and after (with equal finger pressure on the calipers in both), and close-up macros of the finishing of the sides and back of the caseback, and also a frontal view of the dial before and after. From the pictures included, one cannot really get a good and accurate idea of precisely what was done and how it was done and to what level of quality. From what I can see for instance (and I am wondering if I see it correctly, the photos are unclear, to the point I do not even want to say this for sure) the caseback does not look much thinner than the recent run of stock V5 casebacks, and the side angles of the caseback look polished over and rounded. As for the dial, I really do not know much about the quality of the realignment as there is no straight-on frontal view of it in your picture sequence. I really do not get much of an objective view of the quality of legend's work through these photos except through this "perfect job" review text. This was also the case of another review of legend's work on a 15400 posted a few weeks ago--yes,"I am not the first". As a modder I am naturally examining photos to see the work of other modders, but the photos were not really very helpful in understanding what quality was achieved, and are not as good as the macros people obsess over when sizing up a new release. In the end, I am asking myself why these reviews are being posted in a brand forum, when most all modders and dealers have a section for this in their own little sections--that is all.

Last edited:

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
This is gonna be good folks. :popcorn2:

I do not know if this discussion is going to be good, but I imagine you posted that because you expect some entertainment and drama. I have reassured the OP via PM that I do not want this thread taken down. I think the time has come to evaluate what is going on here in the AP forum lately. If anything, it is very encouraging: the number of positive reviews of legend's work and his popularity indicates that legend needs to become a trusted modder here at RWI: it would benefit his clients and he himself in information organization, price transparency, accountability, etc. We would all have a dedicated section where we can "talk to legend." It would also increase competition for people like me, as if I need that. Or is it better for legend to remain without a dedicated section and with the title "resident dragon." I do not know. Maybe others can chime in.

Reactions: gilrob

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
I do not know if this discussion is going to be good, but I imagine you posted that because you expect some entertainment and drama. I have reassured the OP via PM that I do not want this thread taken down. I think the time has come to evaluate what is going on here in the AP forum lately. If anything, it is very encouraging: the number of positive reviews of legend's work and his popularity indicates that legend needs to become a trusted modder here at RWI: it would benefit his clients and he himself in information organization, price transparency, accountability, etc. We would all have a dedicated section where we can "talk to legend." It would also increase competition for people like me, as if I need that. Or is it better for legend to remain without a dedicated section and with the title "resident dragon." I do not know. Maybe others can chime in.

Yeah, I was expecting a little bit entertainment and drama, did the popcorn give it away;)? I also wonder why legend and a couple of others, namely Spongebob and ziczac leather, don't have a dedicated section. I guess they have their reasons but it would be nice to know why.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
QueTip Raddave please delete my thread. Thanks
We don't delete threads. There'll soon be an official statement on this behalf. If you want and still can (I'm not sure re permissions) you can edit your review however you feel like, if not, PM me and I'll do it for you.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
FWIW we have never outlawed backdoor modders , we have lots of them on the board , and if members feel OK to use them , they do so at their own risk , and they know that .

I personally feel there is nothing wrong with this review , and it can stand

Or are all modders now permitted to boost their reputation by redirecting glowing reviews from their clients to this section as a means of self-promotion? Or is legend somehow a special case?

this ^^^^ is out of line , legend did not post this review

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Such a GENius :picard2:

Whats wrong with a bit of entertainment while getting informed of the modders involved of their opinions, its what makes this forum fun. We are talking about two most popular AP modders BTW.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

Firstly, thank you to SHB for your kind review, I appreciate it and recognize the intention behind your post. Merci Beaucoup!

slaughterer62 I neither posted this nor did I request or instruct SHB to post anything like this, directly or otherwise. He did this entirely of his own volition, and I am a reader of the post like you are. So I don't quite get the "self-promotion" bit. Feel free to look through my posts, and see if any attempts at self-promotion exists. If your intention is to disparage me or my efforts, albeit in an somewhat eloquent and subterfuge manner, I am not bothered or hassled by it. At the end, we will ultimately continue doing what we do. SHB had some issues with his watch which I helped by fixing it, months back. It is a matter I have forgotten about, until his post.

But yes, I shall give serious thought about what you mentioned, being a trusted modder and having my own section.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
I can understand the interest in seeing work by backdoor modders and reading reviews from past customers who had work done be them. Feedback on a backdoor modder is probably more valuable than feedback on a trusted modder in order to help a prospective client to decide whether it is worth the risk of working backdoor with them. As long as RWI policy permits backdoor modding that is fine with me. I like seeing the work of other people, and I am not disturbed if reviews of their work appear from time to time.

Re. "Or are all modders now permitted to boost their reputation by redirecting glowing reviews from their clients to this section as a means of self-promotion?"

My question here is in part rhetorical and directed at "all modders", and does not target legend in particular or even try to imply he commissioned or encouraged this review or all the other reviews of his work in the AP section (there are a few in this section, and this particular review in fact was posted for a while in the sales section before somebody moved it here). In principle, by "all modders" we can include Aflop, SSTEEL, Sprongebob, Tickleshoes, Domi, me and all other people who work on APs commercially in the subject of the sentence. Given my curiosity about techniques and quality, I am actually not against the prospect of seeing reviews of all of the work being done by all of the modders here, but it would definitely change the whole focus of the section and make it a little more difficult to navigate. I do not think however everybody would agree with this reorientation.

As for attempts at self promotion, I think most anybody who posts a picture of their work on RWI is self promoting, and that certainly includes me as well as you legend and many others. It would not be difficult to look back at the post history and find posts where somebody showed us proudly, with calipers, how much they thinned a 15400, or how an original Diver timing ring was installed in a replica Diverr. These posts exist and in my opinion they are self promotion in some regards, but I am not disparaging this at all, and see it as normal in a forum where there are people building adn they are proud of their achievements.

I think however there is a double standard at work here. Legend looks and comments on other people's work with extremely exacting standards (I am recalling random phrases like "unwearable Franken" "Mikey hands have nothing to do with gen hands" "the usual Franken alignment issues"), constantly comparing modification work to genuine watches, yet the reviews of his work I have seen are very laudatory and general, ie. do not provide exact details and mostly with unclear photos. It would be nice to see a a review in the future that examined legend's work with the same rigorous standards he exerts on others. It is strange now, for instance, in the reframing comments that have flowed out, that the original review implied a case thinning modification and now legend says he simply fixed some issues.

Last comment: I am not trying to disparage legend at all. In fact, I want to see him promoted to a"trusted modder" level and offer his services even more. I think it would be better for the forum. However, upon further reflection and factoring in the official statement from Raddave, I am not bothered now if legend just continues working as he does and his clients post reviews of his work. "I am not bothered or hassled by it" can be said by me as well.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
slaughterer62
For what its worth I've posted my how to thin your case back post. Honestly i was doing it to my watch and i thought people might like to see what actually goes into shaving 0.8mm from a case back. Did I honestly think anyone would ever do it? Not a chance. But i like reading other peoples articles and i hope other people like reading mine. Im not claiming to be in the same league as slaughterer or legend, but i can do the job to an acceptable level to most people at a hell of a lot less money than i have seen quoted in some of the sales posts for work done by others. I think if your slimming the case back anyway, silencing a rotor for example take less than 10 minutes. Anyone charging more than £10 for that, well thats on their conscience. Other more involved stuff though is worth every penny from the pros. I guess peoples willingness to wait a few months is the big deciding factor. If i didn’t have a lot of tool making experience i would of sent the watch to either of you guys, and cost and waiting times would have heavily affected my decision. None of us will ever be able to make it into a gen. That goes for the rogue watchmaker from ap reading this thread too. I do appreciate your standards of perfection, but i’m sure that applies to anyone who works on watches. If you didn't care you simply wouldn't bother working on them. But everyone has their off days, there is a reason none of us work for patek. Bottom line is if the people paying for the work are happy, let it be. I like legend despite his hate for my pink dial ap project and he does have a lot of knowledge of the brand.

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
slaughterer62
For what its worth I've posted my how to thin your case back post. Honestly i was doing it to my watch and i thought people might like to see what actually goes into shaving 0.8mm from a case back. Did I honestly think anyone would ever do it? Not a chance. But i like reading other peoples articles and i hope other people like reading mine. Im not claiming to be in the same league as slaughterer or legend, but i can do the job to an acceptable level to most people at a hell of a lot less money than i have seen quoted in some of the sales posts for work done by others. I think if your slimming the case back anyway, silencing a rotor for example take less than 10 minutes. Anyone charging more than £10 for that, well thats on their conscience. Other more involved stuff though is worth every penny from the pros. I guess peoples willingness to wait a few months is the big deciding factor. If i didn’t have a lot of tool making experience i would of sent the watch to either of you guys, and cost and waiting times would have heavily affected my decision. None of us will ever be able to make it into a gen. That goes for the rogue watchmaker from ap reading this thread too. I do appreciate your standards of perfection, but i’m sure that applies to anyone who works on watches. If you didn't care you simply wouldn't bother working on them. But everyone has their off days, there is a reason none of us work for patek. Bottom line is if the people paying for the work are happy, let it be. I like legend despite his hate for my pink dial ap project and he does have a lot of knowledge of the brand.

Nothing bothered or offended me in this thread at all and you had to go dig up the pink dial project reference. That is simply unacceptable. :p

But what I want to say is simply this:
Demographically, the watchmaking/modding talents are well spread and as such, members will often choose who to use for mods based on their location. Courtesy and respect among this relatively scarce group should exist. I am not fazed or concerned about whatever was written here (except for the pink dial project reference), and I will continue doing what I do. To each his own, and nobody here should be subordinate to the opinion of another. Feel free to disagree/be offended/express your opinion. This is a forum, made up of very different individuals. We exchange facts and opinions and this is the way it will continue to be.

Thank you slaughterer62 for your opinions. It is well taken, but it will not change the way I do things. Nevertheless, it is useful for giving me new perspective, and nothing more can be said without turning this into a public spectacle. I am sure a man of your caliber will not debase yourself to that level, I see the "trusted dealer/modder" tag on your member profile, and not "public entertainer", though I am sure your posts have been entertaining to the readers of late. :rolleyes:
There is enough room for all of us to co-exist amicably without you trying to tell me what to do. I will still call it as I see it, and anyone who feels offended can report my posts.If they are out of line, I will respect the RWI crew like Raddave to stop or edit my posts.

The ultimate purpose why guys build AP frankens is to emulate the gen, vs creating a custom build. So there is a definitive benchmark of comparison, and that benchmark should be the gen counterpart, as opposed to how much it is better than the A7750 sec@12 stock watch. So when someone calls it "super duper most gen-like AP franken in the history of mankind" or something along those lines, that is as much a deviation from the center line as someone pointing out why it isn't. You can be a well-respected modder slaughterer, and I do acknowledge your knowledge and skills. That is unquestionable. But make no mistake, your eloquent verbosity will not stop, or even lightly nudge me. Like I said, I can take criticisms of the watches I post as good as I can give them. Feel free to call my watches out the same way if you see something amiss. I will not be offended.
I will suggest we move along in a parallel way, with mutual courtesy and minimal friction. Respect and courtesy given to you should not be misconstrued for me being a sycophant. You are one guy with an opinion, like me, and everyone else here. I don't subscribe to your brand of superciliousness.

cherry1989

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/9/19
Singapore
I’ve seen his works myself too. There’s a lot of good reviews and referrals to him. Thumbs up for this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Princewilliam

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/7/15
Nothing bothered or offended me in this thread at all and you had to go dig up the pink dial project reference. That is simply unacceptable. :p

But what I want to say is simply this:
Demographically, the watchmaking/modding talents are well spread and as such, members will often choose who to use for mods based on their location. Courtesy and respect among this relatively scarce group should exist. I am not fazed or concerned about whatever was written here (except for the pink dial project reference), and I will continue doing what I do. To each his own, and nobody here should be subordinate to the opinion of another. Feel free to disagree/be offended/express your opinion. This is a forum, made up of very different individuals. We exchange facts and opinions and this is the way it will continue to be.

Thank you slaughterer62 for your opinions. It is well taken, but it will not change the way I do things. Nevertheless, it is useful for giving me new perspective, and nothing more can be said without turning this into a public spectacle. I am sure a man of your caliber will not debase yourself to that level, I see the "trusted dealer/modder" tag on your member profile, and not "public entertainer", though I am sure your posts have been entertaining to the readers of late. :rolleyes:
There is enough room for all of us to co-exist amicably without you trying to tell me what to do. I will still call it as I see it, and anyone who feels offended can report my posts.If they are out of line, I will respect the RWI crew like Raddave to stop or edit my posts.

The ultimate purpose why guys build AP frankens is to emulate the gen, vs creating a custom build. So there is a definitive benchmark of comparison, and that benchmark should be the gen counterpart, as opposed to how much it is better than the A7750 sec@12 stock watch. So when someone calls it "super duper most gen-like AP franken in the history of mankind" or something along those lines, that is as much a deviation from the center line as someone pointing out why it isn't. You can be a well-respected modder slaughterer, and I do acknowledge your knowledge and skills. That is unquestionable. But make no mistake, your eloquent verbosity will not stop, or even lightly nudge me. Like I said, I can take criticisms of the watches I post as good as I can give them. Feel free to call my watches out the same way if you see something amiss. I will not be offended.
I will suggest we move along in a parallel way, with mutual courtesy and minimal friction. Respect and courtesy given to you should not be misconstrued for me being a sycophant. You are one guy with an opinion, like me, and everyone else here. I don't subscribe to your brand of superciliousness.

Jeez someone swallowed a thesaurus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
I had to look up "superciliousness" in the Dictionary because I wanted to know what the meaning of that last sentence legend wrote about me meant: "I do not subscribe to your brand of superciliousness" I have not heard the word "Supercilious" in a long time, but also because I am not using English much these days in my daily work, I had forgotten what this word meant. I thought a word begining with "super" might mean legend was complimenting me, but when I got to the definition online this is what I found.
behaving as if you are better than other people, and that their opinions, beliefs, or ideas are not important:

He spoke in a haughty, supercilious voice.
Synonyms haughty disapproving
imperious
sneering disapproving
snide
sniffy informal

Thesaurus: synonyms and related words Showing arrogance and conceit

Translations of supercilious

in German
hochmütig…
See more

... and all the time I thought I was a rather humble and self-effacing person. :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: lolo1972sg

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I had to look up "superciliousness" in the Dictionary because I wanted to know what the meaning of that last sentence legend wrote about me meant: "I do not subscribe to your brand of superciliousness" I have not heard the word "Supercilious" in a long time, but also because I am not using English much these days in my daily work, I had forgotten what this word meant. I thought a word begining with "super" might mean legend was complimenting me, but when I got to the definition online this is what I found.
behaving as if you are better than other people, and that their opinions, beliefs, or ideas are not important:

He spoke in a haughty, supercilious voice.
Synonyms haughty disapproving
imperious
sneering disapproving
snide
sniffy informal

Thesaurus: synonyms and related words Showing arrogance and conceit

Translations of supercilious

in German
hochmütig…
See more

... and all the time I thought I was a rather humble and self-effacing person. :eek:

Lol, I think that you knew very well the meaning of the word "supercilious" Mr Slaughterer given your language mastery. With regard to "self-effacing", I see most of your aggression directed toward me, and guys who liked my work. If this thread review had been a positive one about your work, I doubt you would have responded in such a manner. In that situation, you would have been able to be self-effacing in your response, and I have no doubt you would have done so.

Grace and humility can only be expressed meaningfully when there is an opportunity for you to do so, like for example when receiving compliments or an accolade. To quote someone's twitter post, "Total lack of pride--absolute humility--is worth more to me than eternity." Humility will otherwise always be a passive and inert trait, when you have no choice but to be humble, or has no opportunity to express humility. Given your set of knowledge and skills, I agree with you that you have ample opportunities to choose to be humble and most of the time, appeared to be so. I, on the other hand, never claimed to be a humble person but neither am I given to exaggerated claims. Mostly, I tell it like I see it, and I am totally fine with anyone disagreeing with me.

I am going to simply disregard the exchange in this thread as aberrant behavior acutely triggered by something you read and I am not interested or concerned about your triggers. But please kindly do not take courtesy and goodwill as a show of weakness or subordinate behavior. I am restrained because I do not want this to become a circus debacle for everyone, and a show which everyone involves degenerates into clowns while the rest lap up the drama while stuffing popcorn into their mouths in between grins (I think there is a meme for this, someone bring it on please lol)

SHB I thank you again for doing a review of my work. I do feel bad that you felt compelled to change it, but thank you all the same.

Have a good day Mr Slaughterer.

Reactions: Allure