• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF start to make the 1:1 AP 15202

velox

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/5/15
We can never, ever compare a 40K watch with a $500 rep, its just very unfair. The complicated 2121 caliber is a masterpiece. The XF 15202 is what, externally 85-90% close to gen ?

barbo

Looking Around
29/3/18
Where is the official announcement from ZF? You also edited the post and removed a few things

raytron

Known Member
28/6/19
We can never, ever compare a 40K watch with a $500 rep, its just very unfair. The complicated 2121 caliber is a masterpiece. The XF 15202 is what, externally 85-90% close to gen ?

I have to agree but AP and others work as if a construction worker has to build a house with dentist tools only. Automated cnc production is super precise. Of course the manuel enhancement of AP cant be made. I believe that even a mass produced caliber can be as good as one from AP. Anyways, there are reasons why AP is 40 K but I too believe a 500 USD watch can be a bit more accurate and executed than most replicas.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

Yes.
When we talk about a replica we speak of a watch visually resembling gen in various degrees. Often the movements of the gen and rep (especially AP) are completely different and modified replacements. It is good enough that the rep is produced to resemble the gen visually. Any movement or function replication is a bonus. Like you say this is a $500 rep and hence it should be assessed as one and not a $40k watch. Anyone who wants a $40k watch should spend that money to buy one. Anyone who buys a $500 watch should not have unrealistic expectations about it being able to replicate the gen 1:1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure

thrillofhunt

Gold Patron
Certified
8/2/11
Where is the official announcement from ZF? You also edited the post and removed a few things
What "official announcement" are you talking about?

Like the kind of advertisement Mercedes makes when they start producing a new model?

Factories has never made official announcements until the product is ready. So strap on, it's a long ride.

velox

1/5/15
Yes.
When we talk about a replica we speak of a watch visually resembling gen in various degrees. Often the movements of the gen and rep (especially AP) are completely different and modified replacements. It is good enough that the rep is produced to resemble the gen visually. Any movement or function replication is a bonus. Like you say this is a $500 rep and hence it should be assessed as one and not a $40k watch. Anyone who wants a $40k watch should spend that money to buy one. Anyone who buys a $500 watch should not have unrealistic expectations about it being able to replicate the gen 1:1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am just amazed how well the XF did with the 15202 as for first try. Lets not forget that we are looking into pictures 10x what you see on the wrist. We shouldnt worry to much.
Damn, i cant even tell the date on my 16600 without my glasses, and impossible for me to see any dial fails etc. wrist lenght :)

Reactions: aristole and legend

cassapanca

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/12/16
I am just amazed how well the XF did with the 15202 as for first try. Lets not forget that we are looking into pictures 10x what you see on the wrist. We shouldnt worry to much.
Damn, i cant even tell the date on my 16600 without my glasses, and impossible for me to see any dial fails etc. wrist lenght :)

I agree. The overall look of my xf 15202 is very good. I’m very happy!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Reactions: ssr905 and velox

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
This upcoming 15202 from Z+F will not be as thin as the XF iteration according to kobe24, unless they make some changes before its introduction. However if Z+F produces a better bezel with correctly aligned/positioned bezel screws than XF, it may compensate for its thickness discrepancy. A potential buyers dilemma. We still have to wait for the final product to arrive for a proper evaluation. Looking forward to it.

m1994

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
18/7/17
Cant wait for it!

Last edited:

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
Whats interesting that the gen bezel here are also very close to the edges :D seems like all the new gen watches have this "feature".

BIONONE

28/4/17
They just started like the title says - while XF already released some decent results you don‘t really know how long it took them to achieve this level of build quality.

If you look at other announcements it can take up to 6 or even 12 month to get something simple right. And in many other cases it can take years to release a finished product (ZF RM011...324 SC clone... and so on)

Be patient as always :)