• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen vs Rep DW Position Question

CosmoKat

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
9/1/19
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I was wondering whether anyone knew the precise measurement differentiation in date position from the AP ROO 44MM JF 1:1 to a gen 44MM.

As we know the rep date wheel is slightly too far to the right, as apposed to the gen, being further from the tachy.

Any input is as always greatly appreciated!

Regards.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
You may wish to explain why you are asking. Like what you said, everyone knows the rep DW is a tad too far to the right, and you are asking what "a tad" is.
Its a little like asking the hour or min hand width, or height of the numbers in the date font. I suppose all these can be measured, but the obscurity of your question begs enlightenment lol

Reactions: Allure and CosmoKat

CosmoKat

INMATE
9/1/19
United Kingdom
You may wish to explain why you are asking. Like what you said, everyone knows the rep DW is a tad too far to the right, and you are asking what "a tad" is.
Its a little like asking the hour or min hand width, or height of the numbers in the date font. I suppose all these can be measured, but the obscurity of your question begs enlightenment lol

Hey Legend.

It concerns my custom 44MM dial project.

I'm having one of my contacts that specializes in custom dials create a 44MM dial that is aligned with the A7750, with gen style config.

For this to be done accurately as you know, I would need to know the precise date window alignment difference, to avoid any date wheel miss-alignments.

Apologies, was just wondering if anyone had this information.

If not, I would have to personally obtain a gen dial & rep dial, then measure.

Reactions: legend

CosmoKat

INMATE
9/1/19
United Kingdom
Oh btw legend, would you know if the 42MM uses the same dimensions as the 44MM?

Because I have a gen and rep dial at hand now I could make the measurements myself.

LMK

CosmoKat

INMATE
9/1/19
United Kingdom
VqJ4xs.jpg

VqJ3pq.jpg

I measured a difference of 0.55CM from the left of the date window to the end of the dial to the right.

Sounds right?

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
First of all i would recommend you a precision caliper of good quality if you want to measure within those tight tolerances.

then it isn‘t necessary to create a dial according to the A7750 specs but to create a built with:

A) a custom DW/DWO for the A7750
B) custom movement (LWO283... etc.)

i would measure the specs for the cut out on the backplate of the gen dial and then try to use the left over space on the stock A7750 Date wheel to create a matching font.
as you don‘t got the gen back plate for your beautiful dial it won‘t do it‘s thing just to measure the cut out for the cyclops.
Believe me - when it comes to date wheels and matching fonts every fraction of a mm counts. legend also knows his profession better than anyone else.

the thing with the 7750 is that it is simply not made for this dial layout and the sub dial positions and their function don‘t correspond with a smaller diameter of the date wheel.

the only way i could imagine is to use the bespoken leftover space on the inside of the date wheel (which should be about 0.5-0.4mm) and reprint it while trying to align everything so it won‘t look too improvised.

keep in mind that there will remain other problems with the A7750 and a custom dial won‘t change the specs of the stock DW without resulting in the same disaster as what the stock JFs are.

in the end i would say it will be cheaper to acquire a gen dial and LWO283 + modified new style JF hands or mikey hands according to the dial than designing a custom dial just to handle the abominations of specs of the A7750...

hope that helps.

Reactions: CosmoKat

CosmoKat

INMATE
9/1/19
United Kingdom
Hi there, BIONONE, I appreciate your input greatly.

I do not have these tools to measure very accurately and yes of course I'd need to know the most accurate measurement to the millimeter.

Creating a custom date wheel that is purposely misaligned to accommodate the LWO-A7750 difference just isn't possible since I do not possess the resources myself.

The only option I have with my 44MM project is to use the newest JF 1:1 44MM (I think its V2), date wheel (since I think its replicated 1:1 from the A7750 Mikey date wheels that are now discontinued).

The custom dial is based of a gen 44MM dial, but because my base is the JF A7750, the dial maker is able to modify this for me, but asked if I knew the right shift in dimensions exactly.

I think 5.5MM seems pretty logical, even though it isn't to the highest of accuracy.

Would be great if someone possessed these tools to find out for the highest level of accuracy, but of course this is a high demand.

Thanks for your help

CosmoKat

INMATE
9/1/19
United Kingdom
I can relate. Dont know if OP understood what this is all about...

My bad if I wasn't clear guys, I made this post at 5AM GMT.

To make things clear, its a custom diamond dial, using the JF 1:1 A7750 base.

I needed to know the date window alignment difference.

I can't send the dial maker the rep dial to use as a base because they're professionals that do not deal with reps and would refuse the work.

If I used the gen spec dial date window, the date wheel would be miss-aligned, so to avoid this I would need to use the rep date window measurements.

Hope I've made more sense here.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
My bad if I wasn't clear guys, I made this post at 5AM GMT.

To make things clear, its a custom diamond dial, using the JF 1:1 A7750 base.

I needed to know the date window alignment difference.

I can't send the dial maker the rep dial to use as a base because they're professionals that do not deal with reps and would refuse the work.

If I used the gen spec dial date window, the date wheel would be miss-aligned, so to avoid this I would need to use the rep date window measurements.

Hope I've made more sense here.

You need to know the dimensions of the dial and it's date window position. If a professional is making the dial then he'll probably want to work from a Vector image, which would be infinitely accurate. Measurements in millimeters for a dial are about as much use as giving him the dimensions in yards - he wants to know down to 1/100 of a millimeter.

If he can create a dial from simple measurements taken down to 1/100 of a millimeter then you need to buy a digital caliper - measuring with a steel ruler is of no use at all.

Reactions: CosmoKat

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
I would come clean and just send the rep dial. More to the point, why would you spend good money adding diamonds to a rep dial or custom dial fitted to a rep? Not sure you’re going to get the mileage you hope to be getting from this. My $0.02. I’d even be skeptical about doing this to a franken, but to show my bias I think these are abominations when done to gens.

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
This is a little convoluted lol.

Basically, why don't you reach out to QueTip , the guy has a wealth of experience in this kind of project, and you won't have to worry about the watchmaker rejecting work, and directly get things done without confusion?

Reactions: Allure and CosmoKat