• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

About to pull the trigger on this AP Offshore Panda - help me take a look?

mqwthng

Horology Curious
9/1/13
Hi everyone, about to pull the trigger on this Audemars Piguet Offshore Panda

The specs are Full Set w/ Box and Papers, Serviced in 2016 by Third Party Watchmaker (reputable shop), Date: H Series, Aug 2011

Asking about $13800.

Just wanted to do a quick check here, that by looking at it, it looks original + genuine and in general looks ok?
As a second precaution, I'm meeting the seller on Monday at a watch store (to authenticate the watch), if everything checks out then I'll buy it. If there are any red flags then I wouldn't.
I know this is a replica watch forum, but figured you guys would know best about what is Gen and what is Rep

Photos here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jHtXpmI-R-NRg2772nZ3dV020y0Araac

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Hi everyone, about to pull the trigger on this Audemars Piguet Offshore Panda

The specs are Full Set w/ Box and Papers, Serviced in 2016 by Third Party Watchmaker (reputable shop), Date: H Series, Aug 2011

Asking about $13800.

Just wanted to do a quick check here, that by looking at it, it looks original + genuine and in general looks ok?
As a second precaution, I'm meeting the seller on Monday at a watch store (to authenticate the watch), if everything checks out then I'll buy it. If there are any red flags then I wouldn't.
I know this is a replica watch forum, but figured you guys would know best about what is Gen and what is Rep

Photos here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jHtXpmI-R-NRg2772nZ3dV020y0Araac

Without seeing the movement and papers I can only say it’s very likely gen. But case condition is terrible. Ensure that the serial number on the caseback matches the one on the warranty card.

This may be a replica watch forum but a lot of us own gens. I used to own a H series panda too until I traded it in for something else.

Good luck with the purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revolper

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/7/18
It’s most likely gen. Check for instant date flip at midnight.

Reactions: Garuda

mqwthng

Horology Curious
9/1/13
Thanks both for the replies so far! Will definitely note those down when inspecting the watch!

Wondering why you said that the case condition is terrible? To me (average eye, and buyer of my first AP) - it looks great, and has standard hairlines and some very minor dings but nothing serious.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14

Champsy

15/4/18
UK
Thanks both for the replies so far! Will definitely note those down when inspecting the watch!

Wondering why you said that the case condition is terrible? To me (average eye, and buyer of my first AP) - it looks great, and has standard hairlines and some very minor dings but nothing serious.

Bezel is almost round to my eye?

mqwthng

Horology Curious
9/1/13
Bezel is almost round to my eye?

Sorry, but I can't see it, but then again I have not really looked at AP's and have never been able to tell much about cases (unless they were seriously overpolished).
Is this a dealbreaker? If it's a red flag or according to your experience & it looks overpolished and case condition is bad - should I walk away from this deal?

Seller told me its unpolished since he bought it in 2016, and that the case edges are still sharp. But of course that's just what he says.

Champsy

15/4/18
UK
Sorry, but I can't see it, but then again I have not really looked at AP's and have never been able to tell much about cases (unless they were seriously overpolished).
Is this a dealbreaker? If it's a red flag or according to your experience & it looks overpolished and case condition is bad - should I walk away from this deal?

Seller told me its unpolished since he bought it in 2016, and that the case edges are still sharp. But of course that's just what he says.

The 2 expert opinions I would go off are legend & QueTip but to me it does look like it has been polished at least once maybe pre 2016.

Good luck anyway and look forward to seeing pictures when you do pick one up.

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

Unpolished cases does not allude to the fact that cases are in good condition. It simply means that they have not been polished and therefore the material isn’t worn down. But remember that polishing is just one way of wearing the material down. You can scratch, ding, dent, mar, or otherwise damage a case in any way through physical impact or abrasion. So inspect the case yourself and see if condition is acceptable to you. Also, ensure that date flips instantly and not roll and then flip. The date font looks like an early H series and I will guess 2012-2013? It is 99% gen and only not 100% because I don’t get to see the movement. Take QueTip ‘s advice he’s forgotten about more APs than anyone else.

Reactions: Allure and QueTip

mqwthng

Horology Curious
9/1/13
Hi all, thanks for the reply. I appreciate the responses. Understand, and just want to make sure that I do not purchase an overly polished case - which in this case I believe it is?
The condition to me looks acceptable in person and in pictures - but I will take a look later on before deciding.

Will take note to check on the date change as well, and the shop that I am bringing it to (owner used to be a rolex technician for 20 years) - he will open it up to check and verify the movement.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Hi all, thanks for the reply. I appreciate the responses. Understand, and just want to make sure that I do not purchase an overly polished case - which in this case I believe it is?
The condition to me looks acceptable in person and in pictures - but I will take a look later on before deciding.

Will take note to check on the date change as well, and the shop that I am bringing it to (owner used to be a rolex technician for 20 years) - he will open it up to check and verify the movement.

In a nutshell, to make it easy for you:

1. Over-polished case leads to rounded edges and soft angles, and in severe cases, alters the geometry and shape of the watch case. An AP ROO case is supposed to be sharply angular and well-defined.
2. An unpolished case does not mean anything, the case can be full of scratches, dings, dents, marks, gouges etc and unpolished at the same time. Describing the case simply as "unpolished" tells only half the story. Check for case condition.
3. Turn the hands until the date changes. It should change instantaneously with a soft audible click as opposed to the datewheel rolling a little (you being able to see 2 dates or only part of the current date) before flipping.
4. Check the serial number and model number against the warranty papers. This is an older model so it should be on the first page of the warranty booklet as opposed to being on a card like the modern APs.
5. Just don't buy it if you do not feel comfortable about anything!

mqwthng

Horology Curious
9/1/13
Serial and Model numbers match! :D Other than that I will check out everything else upon meeting.

Thanks very much for all the help!

Revolper

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/7/18
IMO with the amount of experience you show (little) you won’t be able to assess the condition properly without holding it next to another ROO (one which’s condition has been declared as good by a more experienced person).

Ultimatively, buying a ROO is never an investment so don’t treat it like it is. If you like the watch and you can afford it (better you can afford it at least twice) buy it.

If you don’t have the mindset to be confident about your decision pre-owned is not for you.

Reactions: Champsy and legend

mqwthng

Horology Curious
9/1/13
Got it! Thanks! Appreciate the responses. & not treating it as an investment - purchasing purely for me to wear and enjoy :)

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Please find the link with the updated photos of the movement. I have purchased the watch :)
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1jHtXpmI-R-NRg2772nZ3dV020y0Araac

The movement is gen too.
Congrats on acquiring a nice steel ROO. I’ve owned this along with 10+ others at the height of my collection.
I may have moved on to ceramic pushers/crown models now but the panda was one of my most memorable ROOs.

Mine says hi (I no longer own it now)
51d8e11a8e13f02628e258f77c1b0b81.jpg

And what I favor these days (and ironically the only ROO I own with rubber pushers and crown lol)
a8ada9190c3a3d9ee7f922d07263df18.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Allure and QueTip

mqwthng

Horology Curious
9/1/13
Thanks very much and liking it a lot so far!
Now, looking at getting a rep hornback + tang buckle to fit :)

Foo1984

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/12/16
Hi- just bought mine too and was wondering if your date changes at midnight exactly? Mine does flip instantly but a little bit past midnight.

Re the over polish; i suppose one way to tell would be whether the screws are sunken or flush with bezel?

Hope you are enjoying the watch as much as I am and currently thinking of getting a red horus strap to dress it down a bit