• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP RO Tourbillon QC

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
I received QC pics for my AP RO tourbillon and everything looks great. On the accuracy test it is showing +-57 seconds a day off. My question is, is this something that can be easily regulated and fixed? Should I reject based on this? I have received other watches with +-15 seconds but can live with that. But almost 1 minute seems excessive. Or am I asking too much?

rolexppapfan

Renowned Member
17/11/18
ITALY
i think the job of a tourbillon is to make a watch more accurate so i dont think that +-57 sec is good i will reject

kobe24

Renowned Member
19/7/16
LOL, I think they don't know how to adjust the tourbillon movement accurate themselves.

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
I have a very good watch shop near me. I'll call and ask how much to regulate the movement.

Any other thoughts?

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
The TD said they would regulate the watch and send an updated accuracy test. Your last comment about them not knowing what they are doing has me worried though kobe24.

The watch is great otherwise from the QC pics. Should I tell them not to regulate it or mess with it and just send it??

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
The TD said they would regulate the watch and send an updated accuracy test. Your last comment about them not knowing what they are doing has me worried though kobe24.

The watch is great otherwise from the QC pics. Should I tell them not to regulate it or mess with it and just send it??

Take dealer timegrapher shots with a dose of salt. If the movement is new it’ll take some time to run in properly. Also there are different grades of timegraphers and the precision of each is different.
Very often, the shipping process changes the accuracy of the watch too and watches very seldom show the same accuracy after they arrive, and after they are placed on another timegrapher. So even if you get a +2s/day movement, it may arrive showing anything between +27 sec to -17 sec/day (arbitrary figures).
With the above factors in mind it may be more worthwhile to get the movement regulated after you receive it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure and Tucker

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
That's a great point Legend. I read a post once that the member said they take every watch they receive straight to their local watch repair shop for a complete service. I guess it is a good way to ensure accuracy and that things are well lubricated.

Should I tell them just to ship it or let them try to regulate the watch over there at the TD?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
That's a great point Legend. I read a post once that the member said they take every watch they receive straight to their local watch repair shop for a complete service. I guess it is a good way to ensure accuracy and that things are well lubricated.

Should I tell them just to ship it or let them try to regulate the watch over there at the TD?

If you can get the dealer to supply a watch with a more accurate movement that will be a good start. Please remember to pay attention to the rest of the watch to ensure that it’s fine too.

Whatever watch you get, it helps to get it properly serviced and regulated anyway if it’s a keeper. Personally I will not accept a 57s/day accuracy. For this movement try for something within 5s/day. I know what I said about TD timegrapher shots earlier but better 5 than 57 for this specific movement.
Then when you get the watch, maintain it well if it’s a keeper and flip it or wear it casually if it’s not.

Reactions: Allure

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
I'm so conflicted about what to do now. The first QC I rejected for badly aligned hour markers. Also with the first QC there was no accuracy test which I asked for but since the hour markers were bad I rejected the first one.

Then I got the second QC and the hour markers are perfect but the accuracy is +-57 seconds a day as shown in the pic above.

Guys should I reject altogether and wait for third QC or wait and let them regulate the second QC they have now? I am worried they will butcher the watch somehow by opening it. Or are they at least semi experienced to do a movement regulation??

I find it strange that with the first one they didn't send the accuracy test since with this TD I have received the pressure and accuracy test with many watches purchased from them.

If I reject this second QC then I may get badly aligned hour markers again. But if I accept it then there could be a larger underlying problem with the movement being so inaccurate.

What do I do??? (First world problems) Lol

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I'm so conflicted about what to do now. The first QC I rejected for badly aligned hour markers. Also with the first QC there was no accuracy test which I asked for but since the hour markers were bad I rejected the first one.

Then I got the second QC and the hour markers are perfect but the accuracy is +-57 seconds a day as shown in the pic above.

Guys should I reject altogether and wait for third QC or wait and let them regulate the second QC they have now? I am worried they will butcher the watch somehow by opening it. Or are they at least semi experienced to do a movement regulation??

I find it strange that with the first one they didn't send the accuracy test since with this TD I have received the pressure and accuracy test with many watches purchased from them.

If I reject this second QC then I may get badly aligned hour markers again. But if I accept it then there could be a larger underlying problem with the movement being so inaccurate.

What do I do??? (First world problems) Lol

I will ask for another piece.
Remember that markers and logos can be aligned easier than a tourbillon movement can be regulated (still doable though).

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
Ok thanks Legend. I will reject this piece. Hopefully the third will be the charm and will look and operate perfectly.

Reactions: legend

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
Ok I just sent them an email rejecting this one. I hope they can source one with better accuracy. The hour markers were spot on though. Oh well I'll update when received. Thanks guys.

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
Here is the new piece. Just green lighted it!

Only 4 seconds off a day. Good to me!

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
Just got this in today! Quick question, on the crown, when I wind the watch, the crown rolls back in the opposite direction after I have wound it up. In other words, when winding the watch in position 1 the crown will roll back in the other direction for a 1/4 to 1/2 rotation as if there is some tension causing it to wind itself back.

Also in crown position 2 it feels like a lot of play or extra movement is in the crown before the hands move. In other words when pulling the crown out to position 2 to adjust the time, turning the crown results in a delay before the hands move.

Could this be adjusted by a watch maker or is this normal for this movement?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Just got this in today! Quick question, on the crown, when I wind the watch, the crown rolls back in the opposite direction after I have wound it up. In other words, when winding the watch in position 1 the crown will roll back in the other direction for a 1/4 to 1/2 rotation as if there is some tension causing it to wind itself back.

Also in crown position 2 it feels like a lot of play or extra movement is in the crown before the hands move. In other words when pulling the crown out to position 2 to adjust the time, turning the crown results in a delay before the hands move.

Could this be adjusted by a watch maker or is this normal for this movement?

The answer is yes, it can, and it has commonly been done before.

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
Thanks Legend, I might have to add this to the ones I send you for mods!

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
Out of curiosity what is causing the crown to wind backwards like that? And how can the crown be adjusted to fix that and the problem of too much play in the crown when you turn it before the hands start to move.