• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Beast appreciation thread

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
This thread is dedicated to pictures, information and comments on the most iconic ROO ever, the first ROO created in 1993 and nicknamed the Beast, for its then imposing dimensions.
Of course, the AP ROO today blends in with the other large caliber watches, though the shape remains iconic and distinct among watch collectors and enthusiasts alike.
There have been 3 iterations of the Beast, namely the 25721ST "original" Beast released in 1993 as the first Royal Oak Offshore, the 26218ST 20th Anniversary model released in 2013 with the see through caseback, and the 26237ST released in 2018 as the 25th anniversary model, with a reversion to a closed solid caseback.
So whatever iteration of the watch you own, and be it rep, modded, franken or gen, please share pics and specs of your watch with us. The blue dial color, baton markers and petite tapisseries will remain iconic features and tributes to the original beast model, and make the watch and its lineage, classic and timeless staples in the evolving line-ups of ROO models.

I will kick off the thread with a post of my 26237ST

First, what came with the package
beastset.jpg

Then a wristshot
beast2019.jpg

The blue used in Audemars Piguet dials for flagship models are always artfully beautiful, and the tone and richness of the color changes whimsically under different lighting. What appears to be a vibrant metallic blue in full sunlight can fade to navy or near-obsidian in dim lighting. The variety of blue colors take turn to manifest like different personalities, depending on lighting and angle. The texture of the petite tapisseries dial is painstaking detailed and possess an almost tactile quality of luxury, even if it is separated from touch by the sharp single AR crystal. The classic white gold hands, and rubber pushers and crown pay tribute to the original ROO construction. Though these have been replaced by ceramic from 2014 onward along with a slightly beefier ROO case, new type of hands and see through casebacks, I understand why AP has chosen to stay with rubber (along with classic hands and the classic case)for the 26237ST, to keep its heritage and character intact and true to its roots. 25 years later, this model has not only endured the passage of time, but flourished in its beauty like a rose in perennial bloom. The dial is by no means symmetrical, but a lot more balanced with the implementation of short baton markers in place of large numeric ones used in the modern ROOs, with some of the numbers being cut off by the subdials. There is no question that the Beast still rules the roost, in terms of simplicity, desirability and timelessness.

Little has changed in its evolution, but that is perhaps because little needs to. You have heard of Beauty and the Beast, and this watch is a confluence of both subtle beauty and rugged masculinity.

I know others here own variations of this model, like tosoboso, Revolper, slaughterer62, SuperLory and some others I may have missed. Please share your watches/builds. I think that The Beast deserves its own thread as it is a quintessential encapsulation of what the Royal Oak Offshore is about.

iwantaprettywatch

Known Member
1/8/16
Insane Al, thank you for the write up and sharing. While it has the moniker of “the beast” this is a stunning beauty to all of us

Reactions: legend

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
legend hey A., thanks a lot for creating this thread. Of all my AP frankens (incl. the 26320 and the 5402/15202 hybrid) I get to wear my Beast the most. There is something so special and so essential when it comes to its design and heft, it’s hard to put in words. It should have been called the Brick as it’s 1/4 of a kilo, but hey I hear platinum AP weigh almost double that :)

Mine says hi:
2958-C1-F3-4695-4548-92-DE-E5-B4-D74-C21-E3.jpg

rool the dice

Last edited:
Reactions: Danii and legend

Revolper

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/7/18
A., thanks for creating this thread. I promised you to contribute as well and I will when I find the time, bear with me.

mskwatch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/15
EU
Hopefully my beast will arrive soon. Thanks for the great thread, a lot of eye candy

mskwatch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/15
EU
The one you bought from Micasol? That is a nice piece, I agree. Please update the thread with pics when you get it!

Oh yes, with great pleasure, now I need to decide bracelet or strap (which one). Probably will land on a black leather to have a dressier look..

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Oh yes, with great pleasure, now I need to decide bracelet or strap (which one). Probably will land on a black leather to have a dressier look..

Coincidentally I changed out the bracelet on mine for rubber.
But yes it’s a versatile piece which is able to take both bracelet and straps depending on your mood and preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure and mskwatch

mskwatch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/15
EU
So I sent my beast for servicing to Master Domi and already miss it... Hopefully will come back soon like new

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Yes of course, but strangely my feeling is that there are more frankens than reps of the 25721/26237 lol.

Nice thread and thanks for the link, but, while I have made a few Beast Frankens for others, I have never had time to make one for myself, therefore no photos. The Beast is a nice design, as Offshores go, certainly, and it is amusing to see the price appreciation on the original 1993 series, especially the Tropical ones, but, truth be told, I am gravitating towards smaller off-the-radar JLCs and VCs these days as collectibles.

Reactions: Jurgenk and legend

AP2003

Known Member
15/11/19
I love my beast. Its one of the coolest watch ever made. This is the rep of the 25TH ANNIVERSARY 26237ST JF
119d118158ef67ca95b7a0931cb37683.plist
8f08dc60d1c991ab849a8d8f480d2073.plist
025d30b270f30831db92f93da1bace6d.plist
434203abfa1e1bcda2430a437cfcf0d7.plist
0dcff1d96afc2deac90c5db72db3e8b0.plist

Skickat från min Sputnik satellit
Did your beast come with black pushers and crown? From these pictures, they look black. Mine can with blue ones.