• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

XF New AP Royal Oak 15202 Releasing Soon!

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Wanna check how long does the watch last for you guys without winding? I wind the watch around 40 times and put it in a watch winder, and it actually stopped after 2 days..

Could there be something wrong? Will be great as I am trying to understand more about the watch..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a personal opinion:

Don’t use watch winders. In the past, winders were useful to keep the oil from settlement/coagulation when the gears stop moving. With the modern lubricants used in watches this is no longer necessary and all they do is to accelerate wear and tear on your movement parts as they are kept turning and moving non stop. Like everything else mechanical, the parts are subject to wear and tear and running watches in a winder accelerates the rate of wear and tear as you can logically imagine. It’s a little like switching on your car engine and leaving it 24/7 for days in the garage. If you won’t do that to your car, don’t do that to your watch.
The lubricant used in your watch will not settle and coagulate even if left unworn for weeks or even months.
Furthermore, in an unserviced and unregulated movement, you are circulating potentially dirty/gritty oil among movement parts at an accelerated rate by placing it in a winder. If your watch is not regulated, it will gain or lose time over days anyway and you will still need to adjust it.
Winding your watch and setting the time and date should be part of the hobby and something you take time to do and enjoy doing. Even with a watch winder, you will ultimately have to do that for the time gained/lost and for the calendar month with 30 days in a month instead of 31. My advice is not to use a winder but to each his own, ultimately. What I stated was just my opinion and like all opinions it can be subjective and debatable. In my short past experience, using a winder often creates or reveals more issues than provide convenience for me.

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
Wife offered me a very good looking winder two years ago, she ask me why i never turn it on... lol.
Do you think her objective was to ruin my rep movements?
:hehehe:

Akilles

Lord Commander
Certified
11/6/17
The North
Wife offered me a very good looking winder two years ago, she ask me why i never turn it on... lol.
Do you think her objective was to ruin my rep movements?
:hehehe:
Just put a cheap quartz watch on your winder and tell her you use it everyday. My wife wouldn't see through it for sure:)

Last edited:

Firecomet

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/5/18
It should not stop after 2 days as you described, something is wrong with your movement. I suggest you have a modder look at it, or get it serviced. Best of luck.

Thanks! I will monitor it. :)

Firecomet

13/5/18
Firecomet
2 days is 48 hours. That‘s more than a Miyota 9015 movement is supposed to run when fully wound and not touched anymore. Or am I understanding something wrong? Because Miyota 9015 movements have a power reserve of 40 to 42 hours.
Did you let the watch wind on the winder and it stopped while winding after 2 days? Then maybe you were winding in the wrong direction as the miyota 9015 rotor only winds the movement in one direction and in the other direction it doesn‘t wind anything.

Yeah probably I put it in the wrong direction. I shall take a look and see if clock wise works. Thanks for the tip!

Firecomet

13/5/18
Just a personal opinion:

Don’t use watch winders. In the past, winders were useful to keep the oil from settlement/coagulation when the gears stop moving. With the modern lubricants used in watches this is no longer necessary and all they do is to accelerate wear and tear on your movement parts as they are kept turning and moving non stop. Like everything else mechanical, the parts are subject to wear and tear and running watches in a winder accelerates the rate of wear and tear as you can logically imagine. It’s a little like switching on your car engine and leaving it 24/7 for days in the garage. If you won’t do that to your car, don’t do that to your watch.
The lubricant used in your watch will not settle and coagulate even if left unworn for weeks or even months.
Furthermore, in an unserviced and unregulated movement, you are circulating potentially dirty/gritty oil among movement parts at an accelerated rate by placing it in a winder. If your watch is not regulated, it will gain or lose time over days anyway and you will still need to adjust it.
Winding your watch and setting the time and date should be part of the hobby and something you take time to do and enjoy doing. Even with a watch winder, you will ultimately have to do that for the time gained/lost and for the calendar month with 30 days in a month instead of 31. My advice is not to use a winder but to each his own, ultimately. What I stated was just my opinion and like all opinions it can be subjective and debatable. In my short past experience, using a winder often creates or reveals more issues than provide convenience for me.

Thanks Legend! I put on a winder recently as I also gotten a custom NH36 seiko and trying to toggle some airtime for both especially this pandemic period is hard to go out to. Was trying to monitor if I can see the time accuracy having to let the movement move for one week.

I should have it relume and service soon. :)

roadtofreedom

Renowned Member
26/12/18
Just a personal opinion:

Master.

shortlegs

31/5/19
Just a personal opinion:

Amen.

Although I guess if you have a perpetual calendar, then I suppose that's a reason for using a winder?

But otherwise, yeah. What Legend said.

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Amen.

Although I guess if you have a perpetual calendar, then I suppose that's a reason for using a winder?

But otherwise, yeah. What Legend said.

If I could afford a perpetual calendar, that thing in not leaving my wrist :D:D

stanleebobyolo

Known Member
2/10/19
Not to disagree with the experts, but part of the fun of reps is having a varied collection. I find the few manual winds I own get far less wrist time than the automatics because I like to put on a new watch every day (sometimes two a day if they're unlumed!), and the time and effort it take to wind and set them just makes me not rotate in enough. I like having my watches ready to go at any time, so that I can just match a watch to the outfit or just grab one I haven't worn in awhile without thinking about it.

I also regulate my watches so that they don't usually need much adjusting even if they've been sitting for a week or two

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
Not to disagree with the experts, but part of the fun of reps is having a varied collection. I find the few manual winds I own get far less wrist time than the automatics because I like to put on a new watch every day (sometimes two a day if they're unlumed!), and the time and effort it take to wind and set them just makes me not rotate in enough. I like having my watches ready to go at any time, so that I can just match a watch to the outfit or just grab one I haven't worn in awhile without thinking about it.

I also regulate my watches so that they don't usually need much adjusting even if they've been sitting for a week or two

I do exactly the same

Reactions: gilrob

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada

I agree,, when you're in hurry you want a watch that is ready to go. As far as wear and tear on a movement, I haven't experienced it so far. I've had Miyotas and gen movements on my winders for 20 years, without requiring a service. If a rep 2824, 2836 etc. goes bad, they're inexpensive enough to replace, gen movements off course is another story.

Reactions: freediver

ATHOS

28/1/19
Germany
Interesting thoughts about watchwinders in the AP section ????
good to know that we dont need them. So we can save the expenses and buy another watch.
Back to the topic I get a XF 15202 from Legend yesterday and at first want to thank him for his work on it and for the extra links so that it fits on my 19,5 to 20,0 cm wrist:

because I was in fear the watch could not fit, I ordered a rubberB:

I personally like both.

Thank you Legend for your work ... I appreciate your pesonal attitude

Greetings to all of you

ATHOS

Lariram

Renowned Member
24/2/16
Interesting thoughts about watchwinders in the AP section ????
good to know that we dont need them. So we can save the expenses and buy another watch.
Back to the topic I get a XF 15202 from Legend yesterday and at first want to thank him for his work on it and for the extra links so that it fits on my 19,5 to 20,0 cm wrist:

because I was in fear the watch could not fit, I ordered a rubberB:

I personally like both.

Thank you Legend for your work ... I appreciate your pesonal attitude

Greetings to all of you

ATHOS

Thanks for posting.
Is it possible to get some pics of Legend's work on the base of the hands.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I agree,, when you're in hurry you want a watch that is ready to go. As far as wear and tear on a movement, I haven't experienced it so far. I've had Miyotas and gen movements on my winders for 20 years, without requiring a service. If a rep 2824, 2836 etc. goes bad, they're inexpensive enough to replace, gen movements off course is another story.

yes sir, to each his own. As long as they work for you and suit your current lifestyle its all good.
What I said about winders apply primarily to my lifestyle and beliefs only.

Reactions: Allure