• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

XF New AP Royal Oak 15202 Releasing Soon!

JohnnyDangerous

Known Member
29/3/19
Does anyone have a comparison between this XF 15202 and the ZF 15400 in regards to quality and closeness to the original?

I want to buy one, but wish it to be as good as possible :)

roflwaffles

14/4/19
San Francisco
My mini (actually not so mini) review:

Photos cannot do this watch justice, it is so much more stunning in person! This is by far the best out of box rep that I ever purchased.

All the tiny minuscule imperfections that were pointed out on the highly zoomed in magnified photos are non-issues in real life, the watch looks incredible on the wrist.

And I finally understand now what people mean when they say that the proportions of the 15202 is much more balanced and pleasing to the eye than the proportions of the bigger 15400. I never got the amazing WOW feeling when looking or wearing my 15400, yes it was a great looking watch but it always just looked too big for me and almost like a Diver and it just lost a bit of that elegant Royal Oak look. I always ended up selling my 15400’s after a while because of this. But the proportions of this 15202 which XF replicates so well is just magnificent and even on my large wrist it looks and feels perfect! The watch indeed wears larger than its advertised 39mm.

I may have gotten lucky but the movement in my watch is dead silent and I cannot hear it even after shaking it right next to my ear.

I love the thin profile (I could never get used to the thickness of the 15400) and the way it just sits so effortlessly beneath the cuff of my shirt.

The dial is just beautiful, I don’t know exactly how to describe it but I LOVE the understated dark navy/grey color! Much better than the flashy light blue of my JF 15400!

The crystal is perfect and the AR is actually very clear!

I don’t really notice the different lume colors in regular every day wear, the markers are just so thin that it doesn’t stand out to my eyes. From wrist length they all look pretty white. Maybe in direct sunlight the hour markers take on a drop greenish tinge.

I prefer this thinner bracelet over the 15400, it’s so much lighter and finer and still feels very solid.

The date setting is a pain compared to the quickset watches but it’s just not such a big deal, it took me about two minutes to move through the whole month using the “wind back 15 markers at 12” trick.

The way AP put the logo at 6 looks so much better now than the way the 15400 squashes it in on top of the brands name at 12.

The unique rotor adds so much character to the underside of the watch, they did a great job replicating it!

So to summarize, I am thrilled with the XF 15202 and urge you all to order it for yourselves and prepare to be amazed.

Like I said, photos cannot do this watch any justice, but here are some quick indoor shots from today to wet your appetites...

I want you to know that I am upset with you now because I was deadset on waiting for ZF first but now you're selling me on this XF.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
The color of the lume depend if it starts glowing or not. the gen is in fact white, but markers are that thin, that i doubt you'll ever see a difference on that point without a gen next to each other or even with a gen under sunlight....
-->the way the dial is reflecting light is more a topic (sunburst, colors changing and so on...), and this is the Main topic of this watch which takes light like nothing else.....

Your input as a gen owner is valuable to the community. It’s a lot more direct for you to share your observations rather than having guys google pics of the watch, especially if the pics are rendered graphics of the gen.
I own gen 15500 and 15400 (for royal oaks) and I know what they look and feel like. But when it comes to 15202, my experience with them is limited, having spent mere minutes with the gen and rep both in hand. Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge, I do read what you’ve written as I always believe that gen owners will eventually know the intricate and fine features of their watches if they take time to study and appreciate them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure

Erinoush

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
10/7/19
UAE / EUROPE
Your input as a gen owner is valuable to the community. It’s a lot more direct for you to share your observations rather than having guys google pics of the watch, especially if the pics are rendered graphics of the gen.
I own gen 15500 and 15400 (for royal oaks) and I know what they look and feel like. But when it comes to 15202, my experience with them is limited, having spent mere minutes with the gen and rep both in hand. Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge, I do read what you’ve written as I always believe that gen owners will eventually know the intricate and fine features of their watches if they take time to study and appreciate them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if my inputs are that valuable but it is a pleasure sharing experiences on this forum ...,

Erinoush

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
10/7/19
UAE / EUROPE
On my opinion if we think at the price difference is a is a stunning watch!

My watchsmith did a service to a gen perpetual 25820 and he gave me the chance to take a photo of the two watches side by side... of course they are two different watches but they have the same size case!

This watch has an obvious problem on the bezel, it is not machined correctly...

Phantomtech

I'm Pretty Popular
28/12/12

This particular example has a very obvious issue with the brushing being clockwise a couple of degrees. My bezel doesn’t have that issue. It’s important for everyone to double check this on the qc, it seems XF has quite a few like this!

Phantomtech

I'm Pretty Popular
28/12/12
I want you to know that I am upset with you now because I was deadset on waiting for ZF first but now you're selling me on this XF.

So was I at first. But the more I looked into the XF the more I saw how awesome of a rep it is, and to wait for the ZF which can be months out and will probably have a few issues of its own (the thickness for example) made me take the plunge.

And I’m thrilled because it really is the best out of box rep I ever bought.

Reactions: roflwaffles

assssiate

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
15/12/19
EU
First you have to unscrew the screw and then push out the pin - for the safest results use a pin pusher tool to avoid scratches on the side of the bracelet or deformed pin ends.

if the screws are too tight to unscrew them without damaging them - keep in mind that they used some sort of locktite or other substance to secure them from falling out.
I had some trouble too but gently heated the screws to soften the locktite.
Temperatures of 70-140°C should do the trick based on my experience with all other bracelets in the past and those chinese screws that are soft as butter.
Thank you very much, that's exactly how it worked. My XF arrived yesterday. I am really excited. The problems with the screws are not noticeable on the wrist. Here are some pictures:

Reactions: BIONONE and Neo_7

RockerArm

Known Member
2/10/19
EU

Dear friends, I did the photo of the two watches, I could see an touch the two watches at the same time, I could do a trough real life comparison!
​​​​​
​The matter is always the same... analyzing the photos at a full laptop resolution (who gives you a 10x or a 20x magnification) is a wrong approach!

I've noted in my watch the brushing flaw... of course I did!
And I've noted (with a lupe) some other few flaws, but I have clearly in my mind that I have a 500 USD rep and the gen price is ( 50.000 USD) hundred times more expensive!
This 15202 rep is excellent!

Reactions: Tompa

Erinoush

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
10/7/19
UAE / EUROPE
these doesn't mean it is not an excellent rep watch, the sample shown by assssiate above doesn't have this problem, that's simply a QC problem on the sample you shot.
Btw, it this watch is brushed like an original, you don't need a *10 lens to see it...

RockerArm

Known Member
2/10/19
EU
these doesn't mean it is not an excellent rep watch, the sample shown by assssiate above doesn't have this problem, that's simply a QC problem on the sample you shot.
Btw, it this watch is brushed like an original, you don't need a *10 lens to see it...

Specifically after having compared the XF rep with the gen 25820, and considering also the flaws my watch has, I'm happier than before!
On my point of view the 49500 USD difference in price are unexplainable.

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
Because so many people are talking about the screw positions...

13302857_xxl_v1576933940459.jpg

Source: https://www.chrono24.de/audemarspig...in-blue-dial-ss-15202st-33588--id13302857.htm

Its a Gen, XF just bought an Gen with the same Screw Position and thats it. They did nothing wrong, sure it looks maybe not so good but its also presented on Gens so yeah.

bunny123

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
18/7/18
Hi guys , just got my QC pictures from PureTime
not sure what to do not to happy with screws and date alignment but definitely need a second opinion.
is it ok if post QC pictures here?

baadibaadi

Horology Curious
20/12/19
Because so many people are talking about the screw positions...

13302857_xxl_v1576933940459.jpg

Source: https://www.chrono24.de/audemarspig...in-blue-dial-ss-15202st-33588--id13302857.htm

Its a Gen, XF just bought an Gen with the same Screw Position and thats it. They did nothing wrong, sure it looks maybe not so good but its also presented on Gens so yeah.

The color-difference of the hands and hour markers is quite striking to me when comparing XF with this picture. Also from a distance and to the naked I recon this would be noticeable. Reason for me to wait until ZF or improved XF.