• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

XF New AP Royal Oak 15202 Releasing Soon!

Phantomtech

I'm Pretty Popular
28/12/12
.....probably an optic effect, mate, sorry for the hasty judgment, it is really a beauty, and i am waiting my QC PICS now..;-)

No, you are correct. They are a hair misaligned and I know that I will notice it everytime I look at it. I told the td to send it back to the factory to straighten. Here is a closeup:

b75000fc3412d93b070622211ea23c93.jpg

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
These sloppy bezel "screw head" recesses and the hand dimensioning will be the probable causes of many people's dissatisaction when looking at the front (back will never be solved). When factories front-run each other's release, things are left for a future V and the nitpickers are left with something difficult and expensive to mod. I am curious to see how forgiving I will be when I finally receive this watch--probably not very.

Reactions: gilrob and velox

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
2. The rotor bearing assembly is noisy as a lawnmower on steroids. This is easily improved through a proper lubrication of the bearings. I do expect the gen cal.2121 to have some mechanical whir too, and to sound less refined than the cal. 3120. I do not own the AP 15202 so I am unable to comment. Maybe tosoboso can as he owns the gen equivalent.

The gen cal. 2121 is somewhat noisy based on the fact that it has no ball bearing but the rotor rests on 4 rubies that surround the supporting rail. Now, is it that noisy: no, it is not. But a fair question would also be: is the 9015 that noisy? And my answer to that would be: no, it’s not. I haven’t handled the xf 15202 but I’ve played quite a bit with a zf 5167 and I can tell you the rotor is not much noisier than on the real cal. 324. So all those things like ‘I can hear it from the other end of the room” are, well, nonsense.

Last edited:

roflwaffles

14/4/19
San Francisco
Yeah I own 3 Miyotas and I can't hear any of them unless I put my ear right to the watch. The scare of a loud rotor on them is overblown IMO.

roflwaffles

14/4/19
San Francisco
Anyone with a 6.25 inch wrist have this and can confirm if they're seeing lug overhang? I know its variable based on wrist shape but I'd like an idea of how it fits on my wrist.

daft772

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/5/19
Yeah I own 3 Miyotas and I can't hear any of them unless I put my ear right to the watch. The scare of a loud rotor on them is overblown IMO.
I’ve owned 6 ppf/pf nautilus and all those miyotas roar... I have 1 zf aquanaut, whose rotor is much quieter. Good thing is that silencing it is easy. I silenced them all and takes like 10 mins each.

guessit

Known Member
17/11/19
I’ve owned 6 ppf/pf nautilus and all those miyotas roar... I have 1 zf aquanaut, whose rotor is much quieter. Good thing is that silencing it is easy. I silenced them all and takes like 10 mins each.

Can you explain how to do that?

daft772

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/5/19
Can you explain how to do that?

You can search this forum for rotor silencing threads. Tons of useful info that modders have shared. Basically, you open the caseback, pry off the fake screw sticker that covers the 3 screws holding the rotor. Take off the rotor and use möbius D5 or 8200 oil in the bearing to provide more lubrication and resistance so it doesn’t spin crazily.

I use 8200 oil as recommended by one of the modders, sorry for not giving proper credit because I don’t remember which thread it came from. And you can use liquid rubber on the back side of the rotor to dampen the sound

guessit

Known Member
17/11/19
You can search this forum for rotor silencing threads. Tons of useful info that modders have shared. Basically, you open the caseback, pry off the fake screw sticker that covers the 3 screws holding the rotor. Take off the rotor and use möbius D5 or 8200 oil in the bearing to provide more lubrication and resistance so it doesn’t spin crazily.

I use 8200 oil as recommended by one of the modders, sorry for not giving proper credit because I don’t remember which thread it came from. And you can use liquid rubber on the back side of the rotor to dampen the sound

Thanks a lot for your help

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Received my XF a few hours ago. I am at the office, so no timegraph or loupe. I am positively surprised overall. This release is much better than expected. There are little things I am keen to experiment with, but overall the watch could be worn out of the box without modification with pleasure and confidence. No rotor problem with mine. No glaring quality problems with bezel screws or machining (just very little ones). For those with bigger wrists than 7.3 inches you will need extra links for sure. But even the bracelet is a positive surprise. I do not really feel called to rush any mods on it.

velox

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/5/15
Received my XF a few hours ago. I am at the office, so no timegraph or loupe. I am positively surprised overall. This release is much better than expected. There are little things I am keen to experiment with, but overall the watch could be worn out of the box without modification with pleasure and confidence. No rotor problem with mine. No glaring quality problems with bezel screws or machining (just very little ones). For those with bigger wrists than 7.3 inches you will need extra links for sure. But even the bracelet is a positive surprise. I do not really feel called to rush any mods on it.

Congrats mate :) This is what i am expecting with this release. We are all looking at 10-15x times bigger pictures and even comparing it to the 45K gen based on that. Im guessing this is a super-rep.
Mine should arrive tomorrow so i cant wait.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Thanks. I would say this is a very, very good replica--on the same level as the XF Divers. In fact, I do not think it can be called a super rep because of the display caseback and the decorated 9015 staring out from under it--but the CdG deco was done very tastefully even there, and even the rotor is partially acceptable. If it were a wine, I would give it 96 Parker Points--like a Pontet Canet 2004 or a Perrot-Minot 1er from 2008. Because the gen 15202 or 5402 is probably my favorite AP, I cannot say the XF makes the gen NWBIG. I would still want to own the gen, but I would accept just wearing this XF as well and not fretting about hairlines and nicks. If I however see somebody wearing the XF in public, I will instantly be able to tell it is fake because of the hands, but everything else from the front is much more difficult. And how many times are you going to meet an idiot like me in public?

littowun

Known Member
1/6/19
Not Applicable
Didn't do a lot of research going into this one. I thought the date was instant flip like the XF Diver? Mine isn't. More crisp than a JF A7750 date change though

Changing the date is a bit of a pain if you are off by more than 10-15 days even with the 9-12 “shortcut”. I think the process is the case for Gen too.

hadfjnm.jpg

I found this video while trying to determine if I really had a XF or not:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqIiRNz3w0U

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phantomtech

I'm Pretty Popular
28/12/12

Wow, coming from you that's a real enthusiastic endorsement for this rep!

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Wow, coming from you that's a real enthusiastic endorsement for this rep!

Now that I am back at home I see the lume mismatch between dial and hands many members have referred to. I will need to correct that for sure. It is easy for me, and something that personally matters to me: The dial has an ivory lume that is quite strong, but the hands have the cheap imitation Chinese C1 lume that is white and much weaker. Easy to fix, but a little tedious and expensive. Plus, I see my bezel is not brushed vertical. Will have to redo that, and make the edges a little sharper with a sharpening stone. No problem. As for the movement: The timegraph is great at 300amp +/- 10 s/d. No servicing needed. My thickness measures at the typical 8.6mm glass to glass. I will refuse every request to make it thinner--it can, I suppose, be done, for a little more thinness (maybe .1mm) or rather (more truthfully) I do not want to do it (as I do not think it is worth it): the watch wears light and thin enough. I did not have any problem with the screws being loctited (I hate that too), and I kind of admire XF for using the same antiquated system as AP. It is fine with me. The only other thing that bugs me is the crystal. I suppose XF crystals (from their Divers on) are a matter of taste: there is AR, but it is tinted and a little weak. I am not suggesting 2AR, as I do not want to see that dial/hand combination clearer, but a Prof 1AR would be a nice upgrade. Then, of course, there are the hands: that is a big turn-off for me. Admittedly, the XF hands are better than the "flying saucer" hands of the JF 15202, but the deco plate to cover the seconds pinion is off-centered on the deco plate, and the surrounding hand is just too thick to be anything close to a gen hand set--speaking as a person who has spent thousands of dollars on gen 15202 and 5402 hand-sets over the last year, for better or worse (they are very thin around the pinion). The consumer advocate here at RWI will want to do a comparison of the JF and XF (and ZF when it is released). My JF has been laying in pieces under a dust cover since release, so I cannot do this. Will re-post when I re-assess though which is the better base for a 15202/5402 Franken: not that there are many people interested in that, maybe 1 or 2 are. As for the XF dial, hmm, the tapisserie is just circular and the print is not exact, but in this case I am not really thinking the dial is so important for some reason. Good news: the bezel screws did not really irritate me as much as I thought they would, and those who are driving their TDs insane rejecting QC photos because of defective bezel screws need to calm down. Surprise: they are not that bad in real life. (Here an endorsement for the super obsessive): Perhaps send the whole screw set to flying-tommmy for white gold plating, but overall they are a lot better than your QC photos would suggest. But,then, I got one of the first examples from XF, and maybe it is an exception. Still, had to wait a long time for it to arrive. Hope all this feedback helps. Not much more for me to say.

Last edited: