• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

XF New AP Royal Oak 15202 Releasing Soon!

d3xophen

Renowned Member
15/9/18
Having received a member's XF15202 in hand for modding a few days back, I must say that I am happy with the quality and build of the watch at its given price.
Yes little bits and pieces can be improved, but nothing screams "sub-par" to me. Close to gen? That is subjective and a topic best debated on the forums between more discerning members than myself but for me, I am happy with how it looks in real life.

Will I wear it? Yes, after a few mods made (for personal preference and not because they make it more accurate to gen).
This is subjective and my own preference for how I like the watch to be. This will not apply to anyone else who isn't me, and may not apply to another specimen of the same piece too.

1. The bezel screws of the piece are a little misaligned in their grooves. I will remove them and have each one aligned properly and also polished in the meantime (not necessary for the polish but a "by the way" thing out of habit)

2. The rotor bearing assembly is noisy as a lawnmower on steroids. This is easily improved through a proper lubrication of the bearings. I do expect the gen cal.2121 to have some mechanical whir too, and to sound less refined than the cal. 3120. I do not own the AP 15202 so I am unable to comment. Maybe tosoboso can as he owns the gen equivalent.

3. I will realign the slightly crooked logo on the specific piece in my possession. This is not a design or batch flaw but rather, something which varies from piece to piece.

4. Thinning for this model is not strictly necessary for "on the wrist" thickness accuracy. Yes I am aware that this is not strictly gen spec but thinning is not necessary for its current thickness

5. Lume "mismatch" between hands and dial markers: Yes a slight variation exists, namely the hands are very slightly a creamy green but it is not enough to bother me. A relume is optional in this case.

It is in short a watch almost good enough to wear out of the box for me. Regarding bezel edge-decorative screw head distance, I am not bothered by what I see. I wholeheartedly agree with you that for a $500 rep, it is just a few breaths away from being impressive, but it can be made to look very good with simple mods. For those expecting more out of this release, you may be disappointed but I think it is something the majority in the community can be happy with.

No need to thin Hand base pinion?

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
The portion of the video that shows the date changing at midnight was excellent. The procedure to change the date, although gen-like, seems long compared to the more traditional way. Something that could be easily made to be used to.

The bezel screws looks better than some previous ones I've seen. As bill33 and BIONONE mentioned in previous posts, it is the bevel angle on the bezel that can make the bezel screws appear too close to edge.

Johnny Depp

WATCHMAKER
Gold Patron
Certified
30/12/14
ITALY
15202 XF
68c14981a7243eeb6de904b8bf51d528.plist

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

velox

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/5/15
These are some replacement hands for the Miyota 9015 I want to experiment with to get a thinner hand dimensioning on the replicas of the 15202.

That sounds exiting. Keep us posted. Im getting my XF this week, QC pics pretty spot on but always room for improvements :)

Reactions: rosxeal

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
Maybe it helps i have 19/20 cm (which is 7.5/8 inch) and i needet 2 extra links for my JF version. So 3-4 links would be good. One reason why i dont buy the XF version :D because i have enough with all this buying extra links and stuff :D and i love the 15202 (in Gen) but its just a pain in the ass when the bracelet is not fitting well.

Reactions: mydnytrydr

dharma

F.a.i.g.a. addicted
13/11/14
The Hive
Excuse me, maybe i am in error, but seems that the @12 indices are not alligned, they are a little converging.....or not???

.....probably an optic effect, mate, sorry for the hasty judgment, it is really a beauty, and i am waiting my QC PICS now..;-)