• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

XF New AP Royal Oak 15202 Releasing Soon!

barth

Put Some Respect On My Name
5/10/12
Very interesting... finally a decent 15202: what a time to be in the rep game !

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
I agree with you, that it is a winner, for a 15202 rep.
And yes, I have seen the gen one multiple times in person, though no I do not own the gen 15202.
I agree with your implied statement that guys tend to over-analyse based on zoomed pics.
Yes, this is not 1:1 and no, it certainly has its flaws but is it a winner? IMHO yes it is, for the price and for what it is.

There will always be only one factory who makes 1:1 15202, it’s called AP factory :p

We really need to begin to be happy with what we got. It’s for sure one hell of a time to be in the rep game, given the level the factories have reached.

Everybody should keep in mind that what we’re comparing it’s a 40k watch with a 400 bucks one.

How anyone dare to say “hey, but this is not 1:1”. Come on guys it can’t be, stop nitpicking and be happy!

Inviato dal mio iPhone 11 Pro utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Page

Revolper

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/7/18
There will always be only one factory who makes 1:1 15202, it’s called AP factory :p

We really need to begin to be happy with what we got. It’s for sure one hell of a time to be in the rep game, given the level the factories have reached.

Everybody should keep in mind that what we’re comparing it’s a 40k watch with a 400 bucks one.

How anyone dare to say “hey, but this is not 1:1”. Come on guys it can’t be, stop nitpicking and be happy!

Do you think the makers would keep improving if we start being happy with what’s available?

All the complaining may be annoying to some but ultimatively is the reason for reps being as good as they are/will be.

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
Do you think the makers would keep improving if we start being happy with what’s available?

All the complaining may be annoying to some but ultimatively is the reason for reps being as good as they are/will be.

No need to complain for any factory running a business to keep improve.

So let me reverse back your question: Do you think the makers will stop improving even if we’re happy with what we have?

Even who’s happy, by time, will upgrade to the latest version.

I mean, all the people (most of us, actually) keep buy the latest version of literally everything we can afford. Cars, phones and all kinds of stuff..

How many advertising from any sort of factories have you heard in your life saying “the best xxxxxxx ever”?
Yet every year the story starts over and over again.

Reactions: Yadda Yadda

RockerArm

Known Member
2/10/19
EU
On my opinion the XF case and dial are at a good level, at the opposite the movement must be improved a lot, because the lack of decorations as well as the overall looking who is quite different.

Anyway I've already ordered the watch and I can't wait to have it in my hands!

Reactions: vcappp

bill33

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
12/5/12
UK
On my opinion the XF case and dial are at a good level, at the opposite the movement must be improved a lot, because the lack of decorations as well as the overall looking who is quite different.

Anyway I've already ordered the watch and I can't wait to have it in my hands!

The genuine movement only has engravings in the balance bridge. The rest is wheels and Geneva stripes. Pointless making the watch thicker just to stick on some fake winding gears, which isn’t fooling anyone, plus you’ll end up with JF levels of thickness.

Last edited:

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
Also consider, when looking at dial color, that on gen 15202 we have different marks.
Pic for reference
d2645ead067b648b91257604ea322592.jpg

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
That's what I wrote JF as an example did use an old gen. Because there was an video were the same Chinese guy showed the gen and the JF and the gen had almost the same blue.

XF used the new gen with the darker blueish/greyish dial.

Reactions: vcappp

Kmmas

7/4/15
It’s not a clone it’s a modified Miyota so will only wins one way.

How reliable will this modified miyota be? Miyota I know is v reliable, but I’m not sure how the modified Miyota will be! Anyone have experience with a modified Miyota before?

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
How reliable will this modified miyota be? Miyota I know is v reliable, but I’m not sure how the modified Miyota will be! Anyone have experience with a modified Miyota before?

Actually I could have cared less about the mod they did to have the same date behavior. I would have preferred a gen untouched reliable miyota :( My only complaint.

Reactions: rabl253 and Kmmas

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
Actually I could have cared less about the mod they did to have the same date behavior. I would have preferred a gen untouched reliable miyota :( My only complaint.

100% agreed. I mean, it’s not that you’re going to set the date in front of someone and get called out for that

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17

My two cents: modified or not if it breaks you can buy a new standard Miyota for 80$ and drop it in easily. It won't have the same gen-like date change but it will still work like a charme. Actually the lack of decorations on the bridges or modifications of the mainplate makes a drop-in replacement even easier.

In terms of comparable modifications you could look at what ZF is doing in their Aquanaut line or their JLC moonphase, which are holding up pretty well

Reactions: vcappp and Kmmas

RockerArm

Known Member
2/10/19
EU
The genuine movement only has engravings in the balance bridge. The rest is wheels and Geneva stripes. Pointless making the watch thicker just to stick on some fake winding gears, which isn’t fooling anyone, plus you’ll end up with JF levels of thickness.

...yes of course no-one need to have some fake winding gears... I'm thinking to a beautiful "clone" movement joust like what we have seen in other watches, at least the few engravings on the balance bridge it would have been welcome!

I think that this is only one more step to get a bit nearer to the gen one!

Reactions: Danii

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
...yes of course no-one need to have some fake winding gears... I'm thinking to a beautiful "clone" movement joust like what we have seen in other watches, at least the few engravings on the balance bridge it would have been welcome!

I think that this is only one more step to get a bit nearer to the gen one!

it won't get closer to the gen by engraving the balance cock or a tiny "2121" when every plate and gear that exists on the 9015 is on the wrong position compared to the gen. It would only add costs which are unnecessary as long as you don't try to fool someone who knows the 2121.

Reactions: vcappp and legend

RockerArm

Known Member
2/10/19
EU
Well... here I'm not analyzing the economical efficiency, since I've seen in other watches some beautiful "clone" movements... this is joust my hope!

P.S. The 2121 is used by AP only in the 15202??

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
it won't get closer to the gen by engraving the balance cock or a tiny "2121" when every plate and gear that exists on the 9015 is on the wrong position compared to the gen. It would only add costs which are unnecessary as long as you don't try to fool someone who knows the 2121.

Agreed.

The rep movement is just that, a rep low-cost caliber which won’t fool anyone who cares to spend more than 10 seconds studying it. For me I am impressed with this XF iteration as it is. The movement is something which won’t be seen on the wrist and it’s unrealistic to expect too much at this price level. This is a good rep already and maybe movement will be improved for the next iteration if it proves popular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure and vcappp

raytron

Known Member
28/6/19
I wonder if you can switch the movement from the JF to the XF case. Cuz the JF looks much better. I am wondering if the two movements are the same