• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

XF New AP Royal Oak 15202 Releasing Soon!

reptime101

15/9/18
incorrect dial color and case back decoration, too bad because I got excited with the custom movement and thinness. Quality of the steel looks great from the pictures.

Last edited:

XLR8R

Renowned Member
16/8/18
incorrect dial color and case back decoration, too bad because I got excited with the custom movement and thinness. Quality of the steel looks great from the pictures.

Well that can be caused because of lighting and the filters image filters they use its kinda pointless to argue about dial color without seeing it in flesh.

Reactions: mydnytrydr

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Well that can be caused because of lighting and the filters image filters they use its kinda pointless to argue about dial color without seeing it in flesh.

Yes, or at least a proper production model picture. Early prototypes often differ from production pics when it comes to color and other details.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thé movement will always be a flaw. Don’t look at it. It’s on your skin when wearing.

I cannot see other flaws

Well with some of the posts citing movement tells, you do wonder if the watches are worn with the caseback facing up lol.

I do care about movement functions as opposed to decorations and details. Stuff like instant date changes, beat rate, power reserve, and stuff like quick date sets, quick hour sets etc. Yes these are mostly not visible or obtrusive when wearing the watch normally. It’s just a pet peeve of mine. I’m a weirdo. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure

Kmmas

7/4/15
Note sure how reliable the “custom” movement will turn out to be. Too eRly to say unless we some real time pics, but none the less looks a notch above the JF release. *fingers crossed*.... been waiting for a good 15202 release since ages. Hope this one passes.

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
To me bezel screws are a total giveaway. They are so close to the edges.

Yep i saw that too and the whole bezel looks wrong compared to gen maybe its because of the custom movement? Could be.

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
Yep i saw that too and the whole bezel looks wrong compared to gen maybe its because of the custom movement? Could be.

I would never call this a dead giveaway but yes the distance from the screws to the bevel of the bezel is indeed a fraction of a mm too small.

the reason is a different angle of the bevel compared to the gen.

it can be that they purchased a used gen - once a poorly done service was performed to the bezel the material that is lost will result in the same lack of distance to the edge.

easily seen if you have a look at used and serviced 15202/5402 on C24.

that said it is not completely off considering what is out there in the gen world - but indeed it doesn‘t look like a freshly received 15202 from 2019 haha

anyways - we should never expect some factory to be considered a real competitor to the gen. That they achieved such a thinness while not completely messing up the over all look of the movement is a great effort and that is what is to embrace as that circumstance was the reason for merely everyone to hate the JF 15202. now you got near gen thickness, nice side profile and a much better dial.

Regarding the dial we again have to keep in mind what is out in the gen world - and that is quite a broad variation of blue tones and looking at the different series of older 5402 references also different finishing stages of the tapisserie pattern.

XF got the squares better that JF by peoducing a bevel to each square instead of just embossing flat planes which also destroyed the print.

Also the hand base is smaller with a nice bevel to it - again not comparable to gen hands but better than the large pizza center on the JF.

real life pictures and personal reviews will reveal how the over all feel is until then it is more than refreshing to see a respectable competitor like XF to step into the game right before ZF is going to launch another product to destabilize JFs monopoly or even let it vanish completely if they don‘t step up their standards.

tired of reading words like „cheap, dead giveaway, instant tell... etc.“ in a thread regarding a more than welcomed new product which is not just a brain fart like so many other releases in other sections. It produces a biased atmosphere which doesn‘t leave much room for optimism.

my 2ct for today :)

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
But they use an old layout of the 15202 which is not correct for 2019 thats the problem and the whole dial looks "cheap" in the pictures. So iam waiting for real life pictures :) the JF 15202 looks shitty on pictures too but looks amazing in real life because the dial is really beautiful (except the shitty printing). The squares are not from a 2019 production looks more like pre 2013/2014 not sure. That could be the reason why the bezel looks different.

Last edited:
Reactions: vcappp

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
But they use an old layout of the 15202 which is not correct for 2019 thats the problem and the whole dial looks "cheap" in the pictures. So iam waiting for real life pictures :) the JF 15202 looks shitty on pictures too but looks amazing in real life because the dial is really beautiful (except the shitty printing). The squares are not from a 2019 production looks more like pre 2013/2014 not sure. That could be the reason why the bezel looks different.

The tapisserie is not the reason why the bezel looks different - didn‘t you read my post? :D

the JF tapisserie is utter garbage compared to the gen. The XF is much better because of named reasons.

Maybe it will help to explain the word cheap to us.

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
I hold the JF against a gen and i must disagree the tapisseries isnt that bad. The printing is yes. The XF looks really like some plastic dial and thats what concerns me.

JF matched the color almost 1:1 its the best blue ive ever seen for a 15202 rep thats why i wait for QC pics of XF.

Last edited:
Reactions: vcappp

N0tail_

1/6/17
I for one, am stoked to see the new AP reps (mostly the RO) coming out as of late. Used to just be JF and now there are so many more competitors.

Printing looks nice and thick for a rep and the dials are definitely getting better. If this tappisserie was slightly flatter like the JF V5J it would the closest dial to gen imo.

Last edited: