• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF 15400 - First pictures

Naughtylus

18/4/19
What about the white dial??? Is it worse than the JF white dial?? Or it’s ok to go with white dial?? I want to sell my JF V5 RG and get the ZF now!!

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

neeeechlas

I'm Pretty Popular
18/10/15
Having seen both the ZF black and blue dials in person, I am going to say that I definitely prefer the blue.
The black one has the wrong texture and finish, more so than the blue. Yes both are flawed but the gen black dial has a sheen and very refined finish which can only be appreciated in person.
Comparing the gen and rep black and blue dials in person, I can only say that I personally think that the blue dial is closer and accuracy aside, it looks better too.
I do not claim that what I’ve written is an absolute fact, but rather my personal observation and preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am wondering if there are also newer version gens, like the blue that are more matte in finish. I’ve been looking through pics online and seem to find some which are more matte in finish. Not sure what your experience is on this.

neeeechlas

I'm Pretty Popular
18/10/15
46d4f5aa6b35828633c5e179f30526b7.jpg

Reactions: Lorne Malvo

krkqm2008

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
29/4/18
Dallas Texas
So I got my ZF blue from VAC-LUME, full service and all. I don’t get what the fuss is all about with this blue issue. Different spectrum different blue, it’s like the ocean , where ever and how ever the sun shines it gives it a different blue color. Just enjoy the watch for what it is and enjoy it. The dial changed colors like 10 times, I went from the mall lights to sun light to restaurant light it changed the blue constantly

JUST ENJOY THE WATCH

Reactions: smegma and legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
So I got my ZF blue from VAC-LUME, full service and all. I don’t get what the fuss is all about with this blue issue. Different spectrum different blue, it’s like the ocean , where ever and how ever the sun shines it gives it a different blue color. Just enjoy the watch for what it is and enjoy it. The dial changed colors like 10 times, I went from the mall lights to sun light to restaurant light it changed the blue constantly

JUST ENJOY THE WATCH

I agree with this sentiment. The comparisons to gen are mostly done with references to google pics under different lighting and angles. There is a guy here who built his “expertise” mostly on YouTube and google pics and even engaged in arguments against guys who own the gens lol.

You summed up the entire thread arguments very succinctly: just enjoy the watch indeed. Even if the dial colors are 1:1, the watch still isn’t.

Reactions: Allure

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Am wondering if there are also newer version gens, like the blue that are more matte in finish. I’ve been looking through pics online and seem to find some which are more matte in finish. Not sure what your experience is on this.

From what I know (which isn’t everything) the new K and L series have a richer and deeper blue which is glossy in person when viewed straight on but can appear less so from certain angles. The color tone has definitely changed from the earlier series but I do not get the impression that they are matte in any way.
This is my opinion and there is always a chance that I’m wrong. Your research will not be any less valid than mine.

Reactions: Allure

neeeechlas

I'm Pretty Popular
18/10/15
From what I know (which isn’t everything) the new K and L series have a richer and deeper blue which is glossy in person when viewed straight on but can appear less so from certain angles. The color tone has definitely changed from the earlier series but I do not get the impression that they are matte in any way.
This is my opinion and there is always a chance that I’m wrong. Your research will not be any less valid than mine.

Oh haha was actually referring to the black. I don’t know much about the blue so thanks for the info.

I’m pretty happy w my black tho
ac27d7243ff6eb7e859ceff3ee10efb4.jpg

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Oh haha was actually referring to the black. I don’t know much about the blue so thanks for the info.

I’m pretty happy w my black tho
ac27d7243ff6eb7e859ceff3ee10efb4.jpg

My apologies. It was I who misread. The K series black is also different from the I series. I’m unsure about the J series.
I have seen at least 3 variations of the black 15400 in person in terms of tone and finish but I’ve never seen a matte looking black dial yet.
Like I said I will be the first to admit I do not know every variation of dial color there is.

Reactions: Allure and Nivka

neeeechlas

I'm Pretty Popular
18/10/15
My apologies. It was I who misread. The K series black is also different from the I series. I’m unsure about the J series.
I have seen at least 3 variations of the black 15400 in person in terms of tone and finish but I’ve never seen a matte looking black dial yet.
Like I said I will be the first to admit I do not know every variation of dial color there is.

Ah interesting. Thanks for the info! Always fascinating to understand variations for gens

aristole

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
23/8/19
Received today. Without corona virus.

Just quick shots before returning home. I have to say that at first glance the watch looks good, but imho the bracelet is really flimsy, nothing ever near JF and miles away from a GEN, feels toyish compared to JF V5. The thinckness of the watch is a step over JF, but again I think the built quality of JF is superior.
I don't have my JF here now, but will post soon some comparison pics.
Wonder if these 2 watches could be merged: JF case, ZF caseback and bezel screws and JF bracelet. I will maybe try, if someone has already done please let me know or warn me LOL

dalp

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/7/19
Received today. Without corona virus.

Just quick shots before returning home. I have to say that at first glance the watch looks good, but imho the bracelet is really flimsy, nothing ever near JF and miles away from a GEN, feels toyish compared to JF V5. The thinckness of the watch is a step over JF, but again I think the built quality of JF is superior.
I don't have my JF here now, but will post soon some comparison pics.
Wonder if these 2 watches could be merged: JF case, ZF caseback and bezel screws and JF bracelet. I will maybe try, if someone has already done please let me know or warn me LOL

I received mine yesterday. I do not 100% agree with your opinion. The built quality of JF seems to be superior at a first impression. The JF bracelet seems to be compact and heavy but this is its limit also, because the bracelet is stiff and when you wear it such rigidity is clear. In addition, I would say that the satin finish of ZF is better than JF: more accurate and less evident than JF, the steel pops better. Of course this is my impression based on the knowledge I have watching video on youtube, where the GEN bracelet seems to be not so rigid as JF bracelet and the color of the steel seems to be closer to ZF.

dalp

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/7/19
I would be grateful if legend could jump into the conversation to clarify the item and share with us his view, even considering that he owns a Gen.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I would be grateful if legend could jump into the conversation to clarify the item and share with us his view, even considering that he owns a Gen.

Both you and aristole have your valid points. What is less known is that there are variations in the gen bracelets too. The bracelet edges on my 15500 are sharp and rough and I had to soften that myself. The bracelet on my blue 15400 seems better finished than the one on my black 15400, which also had sharp edges.

If variations exist on the gens, then surely such variations must be allowed on the reps. For me both the JF and ZF bracelets, along with some gen ones, need to be touched up to make them
comfortable for wearing and as long as it’s steel, it can be brushed or made to shine. No biggie there. It will eventually boil down to which you feel more comfortable with. What I can tell you is that there are differences in batches for the gen bracelets in terms of finish, shine, detailing, smoothness, flexibility and perceived quality. So either JF or ZF bracelet can be refined and passed off as a gen variant. Right out of the box I remember the JF one being very stiff but well finished. The ZF one seems pliable but has less heft to the feel.
Both can be refined and improved with relative ease.
Video and picture comparisons can give an idea but real comparisons need to be done with the actual items in hand by the same person, especially where tactile aspects are concerned. I never believe in using YouTube or google or even reading the posts of others to discern gen/rep differences. Yes they can serve as references but if you want to really learn, find some ways to get your hands on the gen and rep at the same time. Remember that even then, there will be a lot of subjective conclusions made and the second person doing the same thing may have a different opinion, especially for color perception or quality of feel/finish.

The above is my opinion, just put them alongside yours and Aristotole’s to help your perspective a little more. I do not consider myself the authority on this subject but I’m happy to share my experience.

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
legend out of curiosity, do you think the zf 15400 could be shaved down at all to be thinner (even if thinner the gen)?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
legend out of curiosity, do you think the zf 15400 could be shaved down at all to be thinner (even if thinner the gen)?

Strange that you ask but the answer is yes it can, though you may wish to explain your rationale for wanting it even thinner than its current gen spec thickness lol

Reactions: Allure and Nivka

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
Strange that you ask but the answer is yes it can, though you may wish to explain your rationale for wanting it even thinner than its current gen spec thickness lol

Thank you. My wrist is 6.75, so 39-40mm is the sweet spot for me. The 15450 is a tad too small and the 15400 is a tad too big. The BP 15300 was low quality. I plan to buy the xf 15202, but the lack of seconds hand bugs me a lot. I was wondering if an even thinner 15400 would be a fix. Adding a second date hand to the xf 15202 would be perfect, but I doubt that’s possible