• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF 15400 - First pictures

Philippe.rwi

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/12/19
Hello Davideilre thank you for wanting my 2 cents lol.

I have handled a few ZF15400 recently and I am impressed with the watch. The blue is believable, and emulates the J series blue closest. I know that there are complaints on the bracelet, and yes, the edges can be quite sharp to the touch. But this is easily taken of, having the edges softened and buffed to make it buttery smooth.
At the end of the day, we can discuss to death the merits and shortfalls of the ZF15400 here but it is a very well replicated watch and in real life, it is convincing on the wrist.
Pulling off a watch is about confidence and attitude (and yes having a decent looking one in the first place). I know guys who can make a rep look gen and vice versa. It is mostly about attitude.
The watch is well made compared with the JF iteration. Any rough edges can be taken care of, and the bracelet can be refinished to be as good as the gen one, visually.

So the only mods I have done/will do for the ZF 15400 are: silencing of the rotor, refinish of the bracelet/clasp and perhaps, realignment and polish of the bezel screws in some cases.
If you like the 15400, buy it, and there will be no regrets. If you decide to wear it long term, get the basic mods done, and the wear-feel will be essentially close to gen.

The miyota movement is of course not comparable to the gen 3120 caliber but this is a $500 watch and not a $20k one. If you are buying one to wear it, then the ZF (any color) will serve pretty one.

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

I just received mine (zf 15400, first rep) and am simply amazed by the quality and detail. The only concern I have is the sharpness of the bracelet. I would like to understand the process behind softening it, could you explain that?

I saw that you do the mods for junior members, I would be very interested as this one is a keeper for me, and would like to know if I fit the criteria for a junior member :)

either way, thanks in advance.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

I just received mine (zf 15400, first rep) and am simply amazed by the quality and detail. The only concern I have is the sharpness of the bracelet. I would like to understand the process behind softening it, could you explain that?

I saw that you do the mods for junior members, I would be very interested as this one is a keeper for me, and would like to know if I fit the criteria for a junior member :)

Hello Philippe.rwi

Every modder has different methods of achieving the desired effect for each mod, and as such, it isn't prudent to ask a modder openly how he does x or y mods, as it can lead to a whole level of discussion about method A vs method B, and which is better etc. What you need to know if that I can make your bracelet edges (especially the sharp inner edges of the bracelets) soft and smooth to wear.
I do mods for every level of membership here, as long as the terms and conditions are agreed upon. My statement pertaining to doing the mods for junior and new members apply specifically to the the 15500, IF someone cares to send me the rep for comparison against the gen. In your case, I will be happy to do the mods for you, but you will understand that the usual fee will apply.
Thank you for your understanding.

Reactions: Allure

dalp

23/7/19

COuld you explain your concer about the sharpness of the bracelet in more deatils? Not sharp enough? too brilliant? Did you compare it with a gen and/or with an JF V5? Frankly speaking, according to some pictures uploaded by the users it seems that the bracalet seems to reflect the light and pops better than the JF V5 (which I owwned and I considered a master piece).

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
COuld you explain your concer about the sharpness of the bracelet in more deatils? Not sharp enough? too brilliant? Did you compare it with a gen and/or with an JF V5? Frankly speaking, according to some pictures uploaded by the users it seems that the bracalet seems to reflect the light and pops better than the JF V5 (which I owwned and I considered a master piece).

Please let me hijack the question with apologies to Philippe.
For me the bracelet edges touching the wrist feel sharp and rough and uncomfortable. And you may be surprised if I tell you that the same issue occurred on 2 of my gen Royal Oaks. So... with this in view, it is not exactly something you mod to get closer to gen, but rather something you mod for practical comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure

dalp

23/7/19
Please let me hijack the question with apologies to Philippe.
For me the bracelet edges touching the wrist feel sharp and rough and uncomfortable. And you may be surprised if I tell you that the same issue occurred on 2 of my gen Royal Oaks. So... with this in view, it is not exactly something you mod to get closer to gen, but rather something you mod for practical comfort.

your comments are always highly appreciated Legend, thank you.

Tompa

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
ZF-
20ab6a0ec6dd15dc258cc70449a75ff5.jpg

JF -V5
3850b0f2287178da4ea75380d3135819.plist

Skickat från min Sputnik satellit

Reactions: Rolemars and SHB

Davideilre

16/10/19
Hello Davideilre thank you for wanting my 2 cents lol.

I have handled a few ZF15400 recently and I am impressed with the watch. The blue is believable, and emulates the J series blue closest. I know that there are complaints on the bracelet, and yes, the edges can be quite sharp to the touch. But this is easily taken of, having the edges softened and buffed to make it buttery smooth.
At the end of the day, we can discuss to death the merits and shortfalls of the ZF15400 here but it is a very well replicated watch and in real life, it is convincing on the wrist.
Pulling off a watch is about confidence and attitude (and yes having a decent looking one in the first place). I know guys who can make a rep look gen and vice versa. It is mostly about attitude.
The watch is well made compared with the JF iteration. Any rough edges can be taken care of, and the bracelet can be refinished to be as good as the gen one, visually.

So the only mods I have done/will do for the ZF 15400 are: silencing of the rotor, refinish of the bracelet/clasp and perhaps, realignment and polish of the bezel screws in some cases.
If you like the 15400, buy it, and there will be no regrets. If you decide to wear it long term, get the basic mods done, and the wear-feel will be essentially close to gen.

The miyota movement is of course not comparable to the gen 3120 caliber but this is a $500 watch and not a $20k one. If you are buying one to wear it, then the ZF (any color) will serve pretty one.

So What do u suggest me ( zf 15400)? Black le blue dial? I dont have a preference

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Davideilre

16/10/19
So What do u suggest me ( zf 15400)? Black le blue dial? I dont have a preference

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

M90

Horology Curious
14/1/20
What's the verdict on the ZF white dial? Doesn't seem nearly as popular as the blue dial here but I think I'm leaning to that color as long as it's to the standards of the experts here

FunkyAP

18/11/19
5fb8d125e960643f4189ee5a93ceb134.jpg

This is JF V5 black dial for those who want to compare, I already ordered a ZF 15400 Black Dial also and it will be modded. Once I receive the ZF I will post comparative pictures.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Reactions: dalp

FunkyAP

18/11/19
This is JF V5 black dial for those who want to compare, I already ordered a ZF 15400 Black Dial also and it will be modded. Once I receive the ZF I will post comparative pictures.

4eb48104c1309a39883db0a1b1cd5dba.jpg

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
eb33a23f7c0da38f04caf54fd052a09e.jpg
Letting my black dial ZF go, I think the blue dial looks way better.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Having seen both the ZF black and blue dials in person, I am going to say that I definitely prefer the blue.
The black one has the wrong texture and finish, more so than the blue. Yes both are flawed but the gen black dial has a sheen and very refined finish which can only be appreciated in person.
Comparing the gen and rep black and blue dials in person, I can only say that I personally think that the blue dial is closer and accuracy aside, it looks better too.
I do not claim that what I’ve written is an absolute fact, but rather my personal observation and preference.

Reactions: Allure and Rolemars