• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF 15400 - First pictures

Davideilre

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/10/19
Got my first rep in yesterday, AP 15400 ZF from PT. Completely amazed by the quality and detail for a 99% discount. I've got quite some gens but never expected this level of accuracy from a rep. Changed my mind on rep game and made more orders :)

Can’t really understand the tone of this blue , and it is the same of the gen , Which do u suggest me black
Or blue ?

IF*

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

replikmaster

I'm Pretty Popular
19/1/11
Had the opportunity to handle this ZF 15400 today at my dealer's office and it's amazing

6c0179e847af8dc210d806793bae7a27.jpg
ce3af7b7d9b24aebeee2dd54bfb428af.jpg
eb8020ddf3c918a1e526a488d1ea8f03.jpg
93e1c3da8ffd5e89921afce2f08e6428.jpg

Enviado de meu SM-N975F usando o Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: babymilox

ubi

Known Member
9/9/19
shortlegs - I would say that my personal preference is for the ZF, but not because it is more or less accurate than gen; rather, my reasons are purely personal and subjective :) I like the ZF because it just fits my wrist better. The slim, low profile case and fluid bracelet just conform to the wrist in a very positive way for me. The JF is very good for what it is...But the thicker case gives the watch a bit of an imbalance (IMHO), and the stiffer bracelet seems to bind up and is a bit unyielding compared to the ZF; comparatively, it feels a bit rigid, like a cuff. Maybe my thinking would be different if not comparing back to back and I just didn't know any better? Again... Purely just personal musings, and may not be the same as what another owner of either watch may feel. I am a big proponent on the comfort and ergonomics of how a watch fits; if it's not a comfortable watch, I tend not to wear it :)

As for details, I think both JF and ZF have very attractive details. The dials are both nice, but very different... And each has it's own character. Which do I like more? Is it wrong to say that I appreciate both?

The case and bracelet finish on both is also well done. Gen like? Maybe not quite, but I think the details (polished and beveled edges, brushing, etc.) are executed quite well, all things considered. Especially at this price point. I dunno... Maybe I am getting less picky as I get older...

I suppose that if someone wanted a super 15400, combining the best parts from each would produce a watch that is closer to it's gen counterpart. But I feel the ZF does a pretty good job as-is. It's not perfect, but neither model is, especially if viewing from the back.

Just this guy's thinking for whatever it's worth :)

Reactions: legend

W47chl0v3r

PM for 5402 inquiries
Supporter
Certified
29/8/19

What is gen thickness of glass to glass/ metal to metal. Can anyone measure theirs?? Also wondering what the ZF comes in at for both metal to metal and glass to glass. That would really determine which is best. ZF is hands down the best out of the box. My slimmed JF v5 is 9.7mm metal to metal and 10.3mm glass to glass.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
What is gen thickness of glass to glass/ metal to metal. Can anyone measure theirs?? Also wondering what the ZF comes in at for both metal to metal and glass to glass. That would really determine which is best. ZF is hands down the best out of the box. My slimmed JF v5 is 9.7mm metal to metal and 10.3mm glass to glass.

From your pics, yours look accurate enough. Let’s not worry about fractions of 0.1 millimeters VS gen, they won’t be discernible to the eyes.
The important thing is that your watch thickness looks spot on. If you have to worry about details at such a level then there is a lot more significant differences to pick on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure and Rolemars

dalp

23/7/19
I have both the JF blue dial and ZF blue dial and had also owned a gen 15500 blue before. The ZF blue dial is a lot closer to the gen blue dial. The ZF’s bracelet feels a lot more smooth like a gen bracelet than the JF too.

wei915 I am not able to understaind if the bracelet of ZF pops better than JF bracelet. Could you help me in understanding? Many thanks.

Mikio17

19/10/19
How are your power reserve guys? Mine is just 12 hours.

Mikio17

19/10/19
It rotates flawlessly but a little noisy. It sounds like it's scraping against something.

Oc0W8Mh

I will have it checked soon. I got a PPF 5711 as well at it has 36H of PR.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
How are your power reserve guys? Mine is just 12 hours.

This depends on a lot of factors, how you arrive at a 12hr reserve. Did you wind the watch beforehand before wearing it? How many times? Also did you move your wrist enough when wearing the watch? Wearing it does not automatically mean it’s gaining power reserve.
Lastly, forget about pre-shipment timegrapher shots. The shipping process may have affected the movement one way or another. TD QC pics are often good for only showing you that the watch is working. Take the movement accuracy and amplitude with a liberal pinch of salt.

I’m more interested in how you arrived at the 12hr power reserve.

Reactions: Allure

Mikio17

19/10/19
legend thank you for your reply. Yes, I wound the watch around 30 half turns before using. I also move my wrist quite a lot for the whole day. I've tried monitoring it twice (winding and wearing) and still got the same 12 hour PR.

dalp

23/7/19
Gentleman, I put my money on ZF 15400 blue, I will compare it with my JF V5

Reactions: Mikio17

Davideilre

16/10/19
Hi legend what do u think about the ZF 15400 blue? Everyone has different opinions about that , and I wanna know ur opinion .. (given that u own gen audemars) thank u

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Hi legend what do u think about the ZF 15400 blue? Everyone has different opinions about that , and I wanna know ur opinion .. (given that u own gen audemars) thank u

Hello Davideilre thank you for wanting my 2 cents lol.

I have handled a few ZF15400 recently and I am impressed with the watch. The blue is believable, and emulates the J series blue closest. I know that there are complaints on the bracelet, and yes, the edges can be quite sharp to the touch. But this is easily taken of, having the edges softened and buffed to make it buttery smooth.
At the end of the day, we can discuss to death the merits and shortfalls of the ZF15400 here but it is a very well replicated watch and in real life, it is convincing on the wrist.
Pulling off a watch is about confidence and attitude (and yes having a decent looking one in the first place). I know guys who can make a rep look gen and vice versa. It is mostly about attitude.
The watch is well made compared with the JF iteration. Any rough edges can be taken care of, and the bracelet can be refinished to be as good as the gen one, visually.

So the only mods I have done/will do for the ZF 15400 are: silencing of the rotor, refinish of the bracelet/clasp and perhaps, realignment and polish of the bezel screws in some cases.
If you like the 15400, buy it, and there will be no regrets. If you decide to wear it long term, get the basic mods done, and the wear-feel will be essentially close to gen.

The miyota movement is of course not comparable to the gen 3120 caliber but this is a $500 watch and not a $20k one. If you are buying one to wear it, then the ZF (any color) will serve pretty one.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
legend thank you for your reply. Yes, I wound the watch around 30 half turns before using. I also move my wrist quite a lot for the whole day. I've tried monitoring it twice (winding and wearing) and still got the same 12 hour PR.

Then you may want to get it serviced. That will help the timekeeping and power reserve.

Reactions: Allure