• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF 15400 - First pictures

Rolemars

Renowned Member
13/1/19
EU
My first impression is very good, specially the case and dial. Not bad at all for V1. The black dial looks very decent.
The screws are very poorly finished it seems...

Reactions: Swiss Maiden

noname511

Horology Curious
25/9/18
and what's up with the big white gap between the AP logo...that's a huge tell

XLR8R

Renowned Member
16/8/18
My first impression is very good, specially the case and dial. Not bad at all for V1. The black dial looks very decent.
The screws are very poorly finished it seems...

Swiss made printing is awesome. Screws can be refinished so thats good. If i recall correct ZF replicated black dial 15500 idk if 15400 and 15500 has the same shade of black but dial and hands are really good. Case is good aswell. Nice one zf only thing is missing 15500,15202 and RM011

Reactions: Arigab

XLR8R

Renowned Member
16/8/18
image posted above showing pitting on the inside, improperly cast, screws are the first give away in my opinion.

Oh i just thought it was finishing issue in that case do you think jf screws can be installed to this guy?

Last edited:

sn95

Renowned Member
29/7/18
Oh i just thought it was finishing issue in that case do you think jf screws can be installed to this guy?

if they're the same size they should be able to get installed, I sold my JF off a while ago and don't plan on getting another 15400 until they iron out some of their issues.

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Some notes
  1. Most notable is thickness. JF is 10.5mm, gen is 9.8mm. Z+F got 10mm. This is great news!
  2. The movement is still plated, but much better than JF’s attempt
  3. Dial: blue color is not great (too bright), but tapisserie is good - has 11 ‘bumps’ per square, and JF up until V5 had 9-10 bumps per square. Black dial looks good.
  4. Hands look good, particularly the seconds hand (to my eyes)
  5. Date font looks a bit small. I need to see the single digit dates to see how well they executed overall
  6. Case profile looks way better than all others on the market.
  7. Sunken bezel screws!
  8. Bracelet and finishing looks great

Last edited:

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
i dont like the tapiseries they are pimpled like the JF V1 and looks nothing like gen sadly, JF did a good job on the new V5 (or V5J or whatever its called) but here it looks so offf and cheap :( rest looks very good (i like the case and thickness) but the dial pattern really looks off.

Maybe its just the pictures lets wait until a video is up.

Last edited:
Reactions: roadtofreedom

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
Let's see 1st batch of QCs, sometimes TDs samples doesn't looks really good (lately the Noob Daytona V3 pics posted by PT was atrocious, but QC was top knotch looking).

Johnny Depp

WATCHMAKER
Gold Patron
Certified
30/12/14
ITALY
Some notes
  1. Most notable is thickness. JF is 10.5mm, gen is 9.8mm. Z+F got 10mm. This is great news!
  2. The movement is still plated, but much better than JF’s attempt
  3. Dial: blue color is not great (too bright), but tapisserie is good - has 11 ‘bumps’ per square, and JF up until V5 had 9-10 bumps per square. Black dial looks good.
  4. Hands look good, particularly the seconds hand (to my eyes)
  5. Date font looks a bit small. I need to see the single digit dates to see how well they executed overall
  6. Case profile looks way better than all others on the market.
  7. Sunken bezel screws!
  8. Bracelet and finishing looks great

in fact I took a jf v5 blue and this zf, I assemble the best parts of one and the other... I hope it fits well without modification

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Tompa

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
in fact I took a jf v5 blue and this zf, I assemble the best parts of one and the other... I hope it fits well without modification

Please let us know the result. Im verry intrested if it works.

Skickat från min Sputnik satellit

Reactions: Johnny Depp

Fervid

I'm Pretty Popular
5/5/19
Down under
So do we assume buying one is a lottery? Or wait for more QC posts to see whether or not the dial color is consistently off or not.

cassapanca

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/12/16

Dear Johnny, i will buy the white dial and i will send you because I have a gen dial to install and a prof crystal. Get ready!

rayz20

Renowned Member
29/6/17
Really curios how the QC pics will look.

ZF vs JF let’s see who wins.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Really curios how the QC pics will look.

ZF vs JF let’s see who wins.

Neither will be perfect, it is a matter of which is less flawed.
As you likely will agree, in most X vs Y factory scenarios, one will have advantage over the other in specific aspects. It is rare for any one model to completely dominate the other in every area.
I am not saying that this will not be a possibility here, but there will likely be areas which each model is better in. A combination of both models may be necessary to get the "best" replica money can buy without going franken.

Reactions: Allure

CK23

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/8/18
legend hello sir, I was wondering if hands on ZF is any better from the JF version? There is still no high quality photos yet but I was curious about your idea. Thanks.

Reactions: XLR8R