• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF 15400 - First pictures

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
I was thinking that the problem in my eyes is that the bezel and top of the case need long, unbroken brush lines. But when you move it side to side like this over the belt that produces a "noisy" brush pattern. That pattern is supposed to be on the sides and bracelet, just not on the bezel. So I was thinking to create a holder and move it in a perfectly straight line over the sanding surface by hand. I'm not sure what grit though. It might need two different grits. One to cut the lines and the other to soften it up a bit.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhHT29zh...=1g2gwwez76aeh

Im 99% the long lines are created by lose bits of grit from the belt. Looking at that is the exact reason im not super keen to get started on the project, making a jig fo hold the case at that angle will be a real pain in the arse!

Reactions: vcappp

asuwere

2/6/19
Im 99% the long lines are created by lose bits of grit from the belt. Looking at that is the exact reason im not super keen to get started on the project, making a jig fo hold the case at that angle will be a real pain in the arse!

https://youtu.be/zn0UHZuOEeY?t=163

Check out his work area. Looks like he's got another finer grit pad in the background. Maybe for finishing it off.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
https://youtu.be/zn0UHZuOEeY?t=163

Check out his work area. Looks like he's got another finer grit pad in the background. Maybe for finishing it off.

Yeah i dont think im going to bother with that haha. Its honestly cheaper just buying a new watch in terms of time investment! Good find though!

legend the rotor idea is a non starter. Whatever they have plated it with (im assuming a copper alloy) its harder than the brass underneath so theres no chance of getting it off without really messing the rotor up. After a few beers and much stress i had a go at it with some polishing compound, i can confidently say it will stand up to a fair amount of polishing without wearing though! I thought jewellers rouge would just demolish it but i had to go all the way to green compound to even touch it.
KeNQP.jpg

KeGnQ.jpg

KeRfW.jpg

KeFhS.jpg

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Nice attempt with the copper cable :lol:

Problem is indeed identifying the material used to plate, if you were able to identify it, you could look at a chemical way of removing it, or you can plate over it once again, but this time with gold, there's some easy way to do DIY metal plating, there's even a tutorial on RWG (well, more a walk through than a tutorial) but still tons of ressources online for that matter.

For the polished line, when I was redacting my dictionary of watch finishes I saw a video (can't remember the brand) doing it, and it wasn't done with a machine, but with a custom jig to hold the watch straight on a simple flat pad with an unknown grit of sandpaper (looked pretty fine, I'd say 800 grit) it was used dry.
And I saw the same procedure from another brand done by hand but very very slowly with long strokes.

I can't imagine how the Instagram video can produce anything straight, it looks more like an initial sanding of scruffs and hairline before a more finer one (given how he wiggle from side to side at the end, he can't have any straight line)

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Glaude yeah i think plating over it would definitely be the easiest way to go about it. I have toyed with the idea of buying some plating equipment, but considering id probably use it for a very select few watch parts and to anodise some bits for my bike i think its probably £1000 better spent elsewhere.

i did wonder how the hell hes got a single straight line on it! I guess thats a gen too! The thing that really scares me about it would be taking too much off and the end links not being flush with the case anymore.

Reactions: Glaude

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Glaude yeah i think plating over it would definitely be the easiest way to go about it. I have toyed with the idea of buying some plating equipment, but considering id probably use it for a very select few watch parts and to anodise some bits for my bike i think its probably £1000 better spent elsewhere.

i did wonder how the hell hes got a single straight line on it! I guess thats a gen too! The thing that really scares me about it would be taking too much off and the end links not being flush with the case anymore.

You can rig up something very cheap, the most expensive part is the platting chemical because of the gold, but they are not even that expensive. Some wires and glass jar can make the rest of the rig easily, have a google of some DIY solutions.

Looking at the video, I don't understand why he's using such a heavy equipment, unless he's working with a 800 or 1000 grit but still, like you, I would be afraid of the amount of material taken, and you are a toolmaker, so you know exactly how fast it can go !

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Sorry people. Nice hands on the zf as kobe said :) hopefully not all the bezel screw slots are off center or scraggly looking. Im still ordering one either way, you can never have enough royal oaks!
Glaude ill look into it but iirc the power pack was the most expensive part needed. For a decent one anyway.

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Sorry people. Nice hands on the zf as kobe said :) hopefully not all the bezel screw slots are off center or scraggly looking. Im still ordering one either way, you can never have enough royal oaks!
Glaude ill look into it but iirc the power pack was the most expensive part needed. For a decent one anyway.

The hands are still off vs gen for me. Something I can instantly call out. I have not compared it in detail to the JF hands, but a glance is enough to tell me that the ZF 15400 hands aren't gen by any measure.

Reactions: Allure and vcappp

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
legend hello sir, I was wondering if hands on ZF is any better from the JF version? There is still no high quality photos yet but I was curious about your idea. Thanks.

hello CK sorry I missed your message.
I have not studied the hands vs the JF ones but they are still not correct VS gen from the ZF pic. As to why so, just do a side by side pictorial comparison and you will see. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure

aristole

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
23/8/19
The finishing of the movement is considerably better than JF, but as previously said on this thread, if you wear it noone will see it and if you see it you can immediately spot it as fake....therefore worthelss effort...
For the rest impossible imo to judge from puretime pics....why this one eover JF V5...we will see...

Who ordered one already?

cassapanca

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/12/16
I will order one with white dial, but it will be available next month.. then I will install a gen dial
0e9fada6d47f5b6c3a3f58b475f33c11.jpg

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Kmmas

7/4/15
I will order one with white dial, but it will be available next month.. then I will install a gen dial

How much does a gen dial cost if you don’t mind me asking?

Last edited:

Swiss Maiden

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/9/19

Questions:

1.) Are you 100% sure the white version is coming?

2.) If you're going to change the dial anyways, why do you care you order the white dial version and not the black or blue already available lol?

Kitosarg

Known Member
13/7/18
That looks like a white datewheel behind the white dial in the picture??

cassapanca

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/12/16
legend has already answered.. I need to buy a white dial because It has a white datewheel.. and yes, I have a gen datewheel but it will not fit.. i have been told that next month they will release the white and the grey dials

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
legend has already answered.. I need to buy a white dial because It has a white datewheel.. and yes, I have a gen datewheel but it will not fit.. i have been told that next month they will release the white and the grey dials

Very nice dial cassapanca. The silver dial has two variants, one which is more "white" (J/K series) and the other like the one you bought, which is more silvery. I prefer the one you have by far, it just is more classy in real life.
As for the gen datewheel, you may want to hang on to it till you find a gen movement. Those are not that rare, but the 22K gold rotor is harder to source. With the slew of black dial frankens in the community, your silver dial one will be a refreshing change, and something I look forward to seeing.

Reactions: Allure