• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP 15400 JF V5 came slightly scratched.. not a big deal but can it be brushed?

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
Now I don't mind dinging it myself and living with it but OOTB a tiny scratch probably during shipping is just triggering my OCD...

Captureb8e3024f540e3cb3.png

e2bsWIo4dbf336aeec563f6.jpg

It's not a big deal if nothing can be done about it.... but... can something be done about it? Scotch bright pad? Send it to a smith here o RWI?

I'm open to suggestions or if I should just leave it be...

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
The 15400 is a watch which WILL get scratched when you wear it enough. If you’re upset by such an infinitesimal blemish then it’s the wrong watch for you.

If I were you I’ll “accumulate” a lot more scratches before sending to a modder for polish. Of course you’re always at liberty to DIY the refinishing yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dat231

Horology Curious
19/6/19
right, the AP 15400 is a godly scratch magnet !!! I just put it in a plastic holder to size my bracelet and it got scratch ... from the plastic holder (none of my watch got scratch from that holder before) !!! i would just wear it until it's completely ruined until thinking about polishing or ...replace the bracelet completely ;)

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
I would certainly leave that alone, you won't match the factory finish so will end up trying to do the bracelet to match, it will end in tears

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
Thanks for the replies everyone. I suppose sending it in for one scratch to a modder is a bit insane. Thanks for the level headed responses.

to SHB , thanks for the interesting read! But for some reason I couldn't find the correct grain sandpaper mike00 uses. Does anyone know?

The hard part in that guide is removing the bezel and crystal... My issue is on the side of the case so the hard part does not apply to me. I can probably just try applying the sandpaper on the case and do as he instructs on it. I just can't seem to find the gain size?

If I had to take a guess I'd say its 240 grit? Would love someone to confirm.

Last edited:

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
I would certainly leave that alone, you won't match the factory finish so will end up trying to do the bracelet to match, it will end in tears

I was under the impression using the correct sandpaper from the mike00 guide would take care of the same brush finish. But if I'm misinformed then I suppose I'll leave it alone.

edit:

So, my plan is, buy 240 grit sandpaper. I have 4 extra links that I removed from the bracelet to fit my wrist. I'll scratch one up, and use this 240 grit sandpaper on it. I'll see if it works well, if the brushing seems the same or similar. If a success, I'll try it on the case where the issue is.

How about this plan, fellas?

Last edited:

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
I was under the impression using the correct sandpaper from the mike00 guide would take care of the same brush finish. But if I'm misinformed then I suppose I'll leave it alone.

Try it, it might be fine, but personally I wouldn't risk it for such a small mark.

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth

edit:

So, my plan is, buy 240 grit sandpaper. I have 4 extra links that I removed from the bracelet to fit my wrist. I'll scratch one up, and use this 240 grit sandpaper on it. I'll see if it works well, if the brushing seems the same or similar. If a success, I'll try it on the case where the issue is.

How about this plan, fellas?

I follow Spitfire63 advice, I wouldn't risk to destroy the whole watch for such tiny default but you can still give it a try on a extra link and ofc to post feedback there :) in two words "good luck".

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
Well I have 4 links to practice on. I'll rough one of them up badly and apply the 240 grit. If it looks comparable to the others after brushing and I feel confident I'll do it on another extra link for more practice until I feel like it would be worth a shot. If it looks like dog poop I'll just leave it alone.

Last edited:

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
Can you prove that your wife is still alive?

I only half-believe you. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could record her snoring with a tagged pics next to his nose if you really want to :D

Well I have 4 links to practice on. I'll rough one of them up badly and apply the 240 grit. If it looks comparable to the others after brushing and I feel confident I'll do it on another extra link for more practice until I feel like it would be worth a shot. If it looks like dog poop I'll just leave it alone.

Looking forward to it then

Last edited:
Reactions: legend

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
Try it on a spare link and see how it turns out, no harm done if it doesn't work

Last edited:

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
Will let you guys know the results when I try it! Thanks for all the feedback guys.

WATCH HACKER

I'm Pretty Popular
MULTI ACCOUNT
24/4/19
Currently in South Hampton
I have a AP 15400 as well on RG, it has a hairline scratch on the left side already that can be seen on a specific angle only and I don't know where the F I got it haha. And on the right side everytime that I wind it, I noticed some scratches as well in a circular motion, so probably from my skin, or Should I SAY ROUGH SKIN hahaha. Dang. What's important for me is that the Upper part of bezel don't get any scratches as this was very noticeable.

So I suggest only wear 15400 for some occasions only like formall gathering etc. Don't use it as a daily beater.

I'm glad I have a HBB Ice Bang that serves as my Daily beater. And it doesn't have any scratch as all. (^_^)

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
my 240 grit comes today. Let's hypothetically say I feel confident enough to brush the watch itself after doing the spare links.

Do you guys think I should remove the link to the braclet and brush the area itself? Or leave it on?

For some reason I feel leaving it on would help me with the brushing but I'd like some feedback.

WATCH HACKER

I'm Pretty Popular
MULTI ACCOUNT
24/4/19
Currently in South Hampton
my 240 grit comes today. Let's hypothetically say I feel confident enough to brush the watch itself after doing the spare links.

Do you guys think I should remove the link to the braclet and brush the area itself? Or leave it on?

For some reason I feel leaving it on would help me with the brushing but I'd like some feedback.

For me just leave it alone. It's part of the history of your rep heheh

Reactions: Duckber

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
So here is an update:

I have gotten a variety pack of sandpaper online.

Scratched a spare link. Used 240 grit. I have no idea if my sandpaper manufacturer has a different interpretation of 240 grit than the norm, but this looked really bad and just scratched up the link more. I kept going up until 800 grit was used and that seemed to match the finish of the other links. 800 grit gave a similar brushing for me to be satisfied and did not seem out of place.

Except for one thing. The link lost its luster. It did not shine and play with the light as brightly as before. It still did, but when comparing it to the pre-sanded links, it just didn't sparkle like it used to, even with the same looking brushed finish.

I have no idea how to counteract that. So the process of using it on my actual watch has stopped for now...

If anyone has any idea how that sheen comes back from brushing I'm definitely interested.