• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is it worth it to go GEN on rubber straps?

uphoto

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
5/6/18
I don't mind spending the money if it's worthwhile, what do you guys think? I've got a 15706 and would like to go towards the franken route with a low beat movement too.

Is it worth spending around $200 for a lightly used gen strap?

littowun

Known Member
1/6/19
Not Applicable
I don't mind spending the money if it's worthwhile, what do you guys think? I've got a 15706 and would like to go towards the franken route with a low beat movement too.

Haha that's entirely a "you" question!

Here is my *subjective* rationale: there is a certain threshold I don't want to cross, otherwise I feel I might as well just make the leap to go gen. For me, that threshold is a maximum of 5% of a watch's current market value.

The 15706 is actually my favorite watch! I bought a new XF v3 and later a lightly modded "v2". So total all-in including fees/etc was $950. You can get a gen 15706 for as low as $17,000. So I already spent 5.58% of the market value of a gen already. No matter how close to gen I make the watch, it is still a rep at the end of the day, and for me, under my current perspective, the greatest allure of a rep is the value proposition of its low entry. Especially the XF FC 15706; I feel this is a watch that can be enjoyed OTB and further investments offer greatly diminished returns.

However, because the Schumacher, for example, commands such a high market price currently, that would be a watch I would probably have much more flexibility with in terms of mods / etc. In contrast, I have also been looking into the FC GP. The stock JF v3 FC GP is not that great OTB. But any decently modded one is around 3k USD. A Gen goes a low as $22k so I'm having a hard time justifying getting the modded rep since it would be 13.63% of the Gen's price already.

On the other side of the coin, I understand that instead of just looking at the numbers, there is a passion and a journey aspect involved in modifying / going franken--a value which cannot be quantified in mere numbers.

Again, this is all just my current opinion. If you asked me just a few weeks ago, I would have been very adamant in enjoying a rep purely in its stock form.

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12

I was same as you thought JF rubber strap is great. And don't get me wrong JF rubber strap is great for a rubber strap. But the Gen rubber straps are on another level.

It's night and day difference. The Gen is so much better. I can't describe in words. Go to an AD or a Boutique near you and try on the a Gen rubber strap you'll notice the difference right away.

uphoto

Banned
5/6/18
That's a great guideline actually, I've seen people set their limit at 5% and some even at 10%.

I'm in about $500 with watch and crystals, say another $500-$700 for low beat movement and strap is worth it to me IF the strap is something that takes the watch to another level. Again not really caring about how much I'm spending but what I'm spending it on and if it's worth it. If the REP strap is 90% as good as the GEN then probably not worth it but if it something that you can see on the wrist as being GEN then I'm all on board.

uphoto

Banned
5/6/18
I was same as you thought JF rubber strap is great. And don't get me wrong JF rubber strap is great for a rubber strap. But the Gen rubber straps are on another level.

It's night and day difference. The Gen is so much better. I can't describe in words. Go to an AD or a Boutique near you and try on the a Gen rubber strap you'll notice the difference right away.

That's what I thought and the exact info I needed! Thank you.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

If you like the watch and will wear it often or daily, then $200+ is worth the money. Take the cost difference between the gen and rep straps, say $250 - 50(for the rep) = $200 and divide that by the number of days you will wear this, say, 365 days or about 1 year worth of days in total. You are paying about $0.68/day for the gen straps, or $0.54 MORE per day you wear the watch on the gen straps, but getting a lot more comfort and quality out of it. I will say that the maths and sensibility both work out.

Reactions: Nivka and littowun

dat231

Horology Curious
19/6/19
I think about rubber strap after wearing my 15400 JF v5 for a few days, the bracelet is very shiny and beautiful but d*mn it's heavy, again the bracelet is the most beautiful thing and is 50% the value of the watch IMHO and the gen strap is half the price of a rep watch so.... hard to convince :) Still thinking about a rep rubber but not sure where to find a full kit (end link + strap).

dullidulli

Certified
3/6/13
I think about rubber strap after wearing my 15400 JF v5 for a few days, the bracelet is very shiny and beautiful but d*mn it's heavy, again the bracelet is the most beautiful thing and is 50% the value of the watch IMHO and the gen strap is half the price of a rep watch so.... hard to convince :) Still thinking about a rep rubber but not sure where to find a full kit (end link + strap).

Me thinks the 15400 looks best with the bracelet. Use rubber for ROO both 42 (including Diver) and 44, especially during summer.
And for the cold months get yourself a nice collection of leather straps for diversification.
But for 15400 it is bracelet all the way, at least for me.

Reactions: dat231

Pdatoon

Renowned Member
2/2/19

Same here. I have the Gen strap on my diver. It's way more comfortable than the stock strap.

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
Great to read some feedback about rep rubber strap, placed my order on a 15202 by DC with the rubber strap (SS bracelet looks aweful on the lastest batch), I hope the quality is not worse than the JF.

Reactions: gilrob

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Great to read some feedback about rep rubber strap, placed my order on a 15202 by DC with the rubber strap (SS bracelet looks aweful on the lastest batch), I hope the quality is not worse than the JF.

If you can, please show us some pictures and give us a review of the strap. Thanks.

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18

Here is my *subjective* rationale: there is a certain threshold I don't want to cross, otherwise I feel I might as well just make the leap to go gen. For me, that threshold is a maximum of 5% of a watch's current market value.

The 15706 is actually my favorite watch! I bought a new XF v3 and later a lightly modded "v2". So total all-in including fees/etc was $950. You can get a gen 15706 for as low as $17,000. So I already spent 5.58% of the market value of a gen already. No matter how close to gen I make the watch, it is still a rep at the end of the day, and for me, under my current perspective, the greatest allure of a rep is the value proposition of its low entry. Especially the XF FC 15706; I feel this is a watch that can be enjoyed OTB and further investments offer greatly diminished returns.

However, because the Schumacher, for example, commands such a high market price currently, that would be a watch I would probably have much more flexibility with in terms of mods / etc. In contrast, I have also been looking into the FC GP. The stock JF v3 FC GP is not that great OTB. But any decently modded one is around 3k USD. A Gen goes a low as $22k so I'm having a hard time justifying getting the modded rep since it would be 13.63% of the Gen's price already.

On the other side of the coin, I understand that instead of just looking at the numbers, there is a passion and a journey aspect involved in modifying / going franken--a value which cannot be quantified in mere numbers.

Again, this is all just my current opinion. If you asked me just a few weeks ago, I would have been very adamant in enjoying a rep purely in its stock form.

Out of curiosity do you arrive at 5% rule? Is it based on interest rates? Gut feeling?

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19

Very eloquently stated Litto!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: littowun

andman

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/11/13
I personally don’t see the benefit or Value in the gen strap . 1st and most importantly the rep strap looks perfect . The texture is good but it is not quite as rigid as the gen .

I have two gens 44’s both on gen rubber and several 44 Roo reps on rep rubber and I would happily change them over .

I actually had an AD change a rep strap for me on a gen . The watchsmith didn’t have a clue .

If youre going to mod spend your money where it makes a difference,

Reactions: Luvwatch

JLFast

12/1/17
Great thread! I learned a few things. I had often wondered if it was worth going gen strap on my AP? This thread has convinced me the quality difference is worth the investment. Thanks for all the knowledge!

Aspherical90

Known Member
22/11/13
Does the GEN rubber strap leaves any "gaps" when installed on a Noob V4 Carbon diver?