• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Will the AP rep get rusted easily ?

dat231

Horology Curious
19/6/19
Hi,
Sorry if this question sounds too dump (newbie , but will the AP rep (ex: from JF) get rusted easily ?
I see on every TD's site that a rep could be 30-50m water resistance but no one garantee that, have anyone tested it with normal activities like shower, washing hands, swimming... ? Can the Rep survive those or got water in and cause rusted bracelet ?

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
Why would you be swimming with an AP in the first place. Unless it's a Diver , why ? Also why would it rust ? Are you living under the sea like Spongebob ?

Reactions: legend and dat231

dat231

Horology Curious
19/6/19
Probably not dive but shower, hand wash, chilling by the pool... i'm a scared noob so just want to be sure that normal washing won't rust it or harm the watch, sorry for my paranoia :(

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Probably not dive but shower, hand wash, chilling by the pool... i'm a scared noob so just want to be sure that normal washing won't rust it or harm the watch, sorry for my paranoia :(

It will survive hand washing, rain showers, an elephant splashing water at you with its trunk, your friend trying to dunk your head in water and the watch getting collateral splashes, you walking on the sidewalk on a rainy day and a passing car causing water to be sprayed on you, you trying to rescue a damsel in distress from the poolside... and so on. You get the idea.
Remember though to always wipe it dry after each encounter. As for rust, they are as likely to rust as the stainless steel spoon you use at restaurants, so don't worry. Just keep the case clean and dry, especially after a binge at the beach, where minerals could corrode the case in the weak areas.

dat231

Horology Curious
19/6/19
It will survive hand washing, rain showers, an elephant splashing water at you with its trunk, your friend trying to dunk your head in water and the watch getting collateral splashes, you walking on the sidewalk on a rainy day and a passing car causing water to be sprayed on you, you trying to rescue a damsel in distress from the poolside... and so on. You get the idea.
Remember though to always wipe it dry after each encounter. As for rust, they are as likely to rust as the stainless steel spoon you use at restaurants, so don't worry. Just keep the case clean and dry, especially after a binge at the beach, where minerals could corrode the case in the weak areas.

that helps a lot ! I'm now confidently wear this AP as my day to day watch and don't have to baby it (I know it's just a rep but it's so beautiful, dare i say as beautiful as a gen, so don't want to hurt it), thanks a ton !!!

dat231

Horology Curious
19/6/19
yeah, it's still $400 and that's more than the average monthly salary in my country, i love the design of this watch so saved up for it (it's only recognized by watch people and don't attract the too many people like a Rolex) :)

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
that helps a lot ! I'm now confidently wear this AP as my day to day watch and don't have to baby it (I know it's just a rep but it's so beautiful, dare i say as beautiful as a gen, so don't want to hurt it), thanks a ton !!!

It may be helpful for you to remember that both the gen and rep steel are made from 316 steel. I have not seen rust on any stainless steel rep case all these years in the hobby. Gasket/seals failures are commonplace. I am glad that you have chosen to undertake this hobby and choose an AP rep. I hope you are happy with it, and if you need help, don't hesitate to ask. Each of our idea of worth, value and spending capability is different and it is important that you enjoy it at the level you are comfortable with. Don't worry the case becoming rusty or general waterproofing issues in your watch, it will very likely hold up well in both aspects barring aberrant circumstances.

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
It is maybe waterproofed by the factory but don't trust thoses words, i do have a 15400 and got it waterproofed so i can chill in the pool, no issue so far with rust.

Reactions: dat231

Repworld

Mythical Poster
27/12/16
I don’t even wash my hand with Rep , i don’t understand pepole asking about swimming and diving with this toys ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seeseoh

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/7/19
I won't suggest you to swim or take a shower with reps,it's unnecessary and just waterproof splash, don't expect too much lol

dat231

Horology Curious
19/6/19
wow no hand-wash is kinda extreme :D rain/shower is kinda common, i know people who never take off their watch, even while sleeping, swimming, taking bath...
I don’t even wash my hand with Rep , i don’t understand pepole asking about swimming and diving with this toys ..
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
wow no hand-wash is kinda extreme :D rain/shower is kinda common, i know people who never take off their watch, even while sleeping, swimming, taking bath...

Just trust me, handwashing or walking in rain are definitely fine. If your watch gets water damaged because of those, send it to me and I will fix it for you FOC, postage both ways inclusive.

Reactions: Allure and dat231

dat231

Horology Curious
19/6/19
Just trust me, handwashing or walking in rain are definitely fine. If your watch gets water damaged because of those, send it to me and I will fix it for you FOC, postage both ways inclusive.

that's very kind of you and very ensuring, thanks a ton !