• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

the best ap rep ever

Toscana

I'm Pretty Popular
Gold Patron
Certified
27/8/16
Looking to my collection these days i realize dont have any ap at the moment,
searching in the forum i see the only model awarded like super rep is the diver v9.5,
how is possible that only 1 model of ap is listed in super rep ?
and this diver v9.5 is really so gen closet han other version ?
there isn’t now project for some new roo for next months release from the factory ?

Revolper

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/7/18
There are lots of threads on pretty much everything you mentioned already. Take your time and enjoy the read.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Looking to my collection these days i realize dont have any ap at the moment,
searching in the forum i see the only model awarded like super rep is the diver v9.5,
how is possible that only 1 model of ap is listed in super rep ?
and this diver v9.5 is really so gen closet han other version ?
there isn’t now project for some new roo for next months release from the factory ?

I personally do not regard the v9.5 diver as a super rep. Not even close. But that’s just my opinion. Many will think differently from me and ultimately what matters is how much you like your watch. If you care about accuracy based on general consensus, get the gen. Else get what you like and be happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kameelperd

30/4/19
The v9.5 is pretty near. But not close to perfection. It still needs a gen dial and in my opinion gen (or prof) crystal, gen buckle (this is a big tel) and gen strap (also big tell).

And there is also the beats per minute issue...

It is a awesome candidate for a cheap franken that can look indistinguishable from
Gen when finish.

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12
The v9.5 is pretty near. But not close to perfection. It still needs a gen dial and in my opinion gen (or prof) crystal, gen buckle (this is a big tel) and gen strap (also big tell).

It is a awesome candidate for a cheap franken that can look indistinguishable from
Gen when finish.

For me on pictures. The rotating inner bezel is the biggest tell on REP Divers. On the Gen the Lume is applied very distinctively with a printed white border surrounding the lume, and on 9.5versions of the Rep factories are not even close it very sloppy.

This is coming from a Owner of a Fully Modded (short of going franken) JF V7, that I love and enjoy very dearly.

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

Gen when finish.

So are you suggesting that if you take a v9.5 and change the crystal, dial, buckle and straps, it will be indistinguishable from gen?

Sadly that’s not true. I can still immediately call it out as a rep based on the dive bezel numbers, cyclops and datewheel among other minor features. The “tells” you named are all minor: straps and buckle you can easily replace, not that they matter at all. Crystal and dial of the rep are close enough since both have variants in the gen through the different series/batches. But on the wrist, you can still call out any rep diver by the dive bezel numbers like what MasterWatch said.

All AP reps are flawed and relatively low cost novelties compared with their gen counterparts. Wear them for fun and without pretense that they’re anything at all like the gen and it’s a great hobby to indulge in.

Last edited:

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14

Gen when finish.

Yup. Strap and buckle or let alone crystal is a MUCH bigger deal than the diving scale or the horrific replicated from a replica date wheel.. Not. Please, have you even looked at that watch before or are you just venting out hot air?

kameelperd

30/4/19
Yup. Strap and buckle or let alone crystal is a MUCH bigger deal than the diving scale or the horrific replicated from a replica date wheel.. Not. Please, have you even looked at that watch before or are you just venting out hot air?

I've got a gen AP Diver, a franken 9.5 and several gen APs. I cannot tell it from wrist. Nor anyone has in quite a while (and I do frequent places where watch aficionados are). I bet if you get really close and with a vernier caliper I'm sure you will get all sort of variations.

Also, sorry, gen dial with gen dw of course is a must.

kameelperd

30/4/19
So are you suggesting that if you take a v9.5 and change the crystal, dial, buckle and straps, it will be indistinguishable from gen?

Sadly that’s not true. I can still immediately call it out as a rep based on the dive bezel numbers, cyclops and datewheel among other minor features. The “tells” you named are all minor: straps and buckle you can easily replace, not that they matter at all. Crystal and dial of the rep are close enough since both have variants in the gen through the different series/batches. But on the wrist, you can still call out any rep diver by the dive bezel numbers like what MasterWatch said.

All AP reps are flawed and relatively low cost novelties compared with their gen counterparts. Wear them for fun and without pretense that they’re anything at all like the gen and it’s a great hobby to indulge in.

Yes, sorry, when I changed dial, gen dial came with gen cyclops and dw so yes I was infering to that too.

Rep dial in 9.5 is for me the instant tell, the tapisserie is not right. I bet it is hard to get it right.

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
I've got a gen AP Diver, a franken 9.5 and several gen APs. I cannot tell it from wrist. Nor anyone has in quite a while (and I do frequent places where watch aficionados are). I bet if you get really close and with a vernier caliper I'm sure you will get all sort of variations.

Also, sorry, gen dial with gen dw of course is a must.

And while you're at it, get a gen cal 3120 as well to fit the gen date wheel.

Repworld

Mythical Poster
27/12/16
I personally do not regard the v9.5 diver as a super rep. Not even close. But that’s just my opinion. Many will think differently from me and ultimately what matters is how much you like your watch. If you care about accuracy based on general consensus, get the gen. Else get what you like and be happy with it.

Let’s waiting for ZF 15703 , your opinion very important v9.5 or v10 maybe vs ZF.

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
I can confirm that the gen dw would fit a PM80. It will not rotate, nor will the movement tell time but it will be close to perfection. The dw is really the one big tell that bugs me. But that’s just me. I don’t like to meet other people and I don’t take photos of my wrist so nobody would ever practically be able to call me out or ask the time

Interesting turn this thread has taken

:popcorn2:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Yes, sorry, when I changed dial, gen dial came with gen cyclops and dw so yes I was infering to that too.

Rep dial in 9.5 is for me the instant tell, the tapisserie is not right. I bet it is hard to get it right.

Well like I mentioned, there are different things we look at, and/or are bothered by.
Actually I am more curious to show how the gen AP datewheel fits the P80 movement without sacrificing function. You CAN technically seat the gen DW on the movement, but like what tosoboso mentioned implied, the teeth of the dw and the gear of the movement will not be compatible, so I will like to know how you fitted it, and how you got it to work.
Are you able to show a picture? This will be for learning sake.

kameelperd

30/4/19
Well like I mentioned, there are different things we look at, and/or are bothered by.
Actually I am more curious to show how the gen AP datewheel fits the P80 movement without sacrificing function. You CAN technically seat the gen DW on the movement, but like what tosoboso mentioned implied, the teeth of the dw and the gear of the movement will not be compatible, so I will like to know how you fitted it, and how you got it to work.
Are you able to show a picture? This will be for learning sake.

I can take a picture of the watch with the DW but I am not able to open it to show. I saw when my watchsmith changed the PM80 for the other movement and the gen dial (which came with the gen dw and cyclops) just fitted there.

I might be wrong and my dw could be a rep, but that would be kinda odd since I bought the gen dial from a good seller in eBay and it is in my opinion in fact a gen (quality is amazing) and it would very rare to assume that the seller sold me a gen dial with a rep dw. I dont know.

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
I can take a picture of the watch with the DW but I am not able to open it to show. I saw when my watchsmith changed the PM80 for the other movement and the gen dial (which came with the gen dw and cyclops) just fitted there.

I might be wrong and my dw could be a rep, but that would be kinda odd since I bought the gen dial from a good seller in eBay and it is in my opinion in fact a gen (quality is amazing) and it would very rare to assume that the seller sold me a gen dial with a rep dw. I dont know.

Post a pic then

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

From what I know, and this is an objective fact, the gen datewheel can only function with the gen 3120 caliber, because like I said, datewheel size aside, the teeth and gears need to be compatible. If you care to show a pic of your datewheel, we will be able to tell you if it is gen or not. Also, if your date does not change instantaneously, and rolls a little before changing, it is very likely not a gen datewheel. So QueTip knew what he was talking about when he told you to get a gen AP 3120 caliber to go with your gen datewheel.

However, I, along with many others here, will be very interested to know how you got the gen datewheel to work with a PM80 movement if that was the case. I am sure you will not mind sharing this with us. Even if the datewheel is not gen, it will at least help you know that you do not have a gen datewheel in your watch, no matter how reputable the seller could have been.

Reactions: Allure

kameelperd

30/4/19
From what I know, and this is an objective fact, the gen datewheel can only function with the gen 3120 caliber, because like I said, datewheel size aside, the teeth and gears need to be compatible. If you care to show a pic of your datewheel, we will be able to tell you if it is gen or not. Also, if your date does not change instantaneously, and rolls a little before changing, it is very likely not a gen datewheel. So QueTip knew what he was talking about when he told you to get a gen AP 3120 caliber to go with your gen datewheel.

However, I, along with many others here, will be very interested to know how you got the gen datewheel to work with a PM80 movement if that was the case. I am sure you will not mind sharing this with us. Even if the datewheel is not gen, it will at least help you know that you do not have a gen datewheel in your watch, no matter how reputable the seller could have been.

Nevermind, you are right, I looked at the original item that I bought and it did not came with a DW, it was just dial and cyclops. I think watchsmith used the PM80 original DW and thats where I got confused. I will still send a picture tomorrow (my house is dark for pictures) and see whay you guys think of. I think it looks good.

Reactions: legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Nevermind, you are right, I looked at the original item that I bought and it did not came with a DW, it was just dial and cyclops. I think watchsmith used the PM80 original DW and thats where I got confused. I will still send a picture tomorrow (my house is dark for pictures) and see whay you guys think of. I think it looks good.

Yes, what is important here isn't whether you are right or wrong, but you need to know clearly what is in your own watch that you painstakingly built.
Do share some pics, and we will help where we can.

Reactions: Allure