• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob 44mm AP Offshore with forged case

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Indeed a far off look from the gen but like you’ve also mentioned as long as the owner likes it the accuracy to gen is negligible.

“The usual argument used is that the double AR makes the dial pop, makes the dial look much better etc. Obviously these guys have never handled or owned a gen AP ROO.” I have to say this statement is rather strong? Have handled gen AP since maybe 2002? How would that have any relevance?

The crazy thing about double ar is that it certainly makes the dial better. Whether it deviates from the accuracy of the gen is still up to the owner’s preference.

In my opinion it’s simply a no right no wrong situation where one wants to have his cake made.

Yes having a dbl ar will alert maybe the people on the replica forums that it’s a replica but not to many who plays only gens but who heavily mod their gens. Not uncommon to have a totally custom made diamond crusted bezel for a RM or any other make when the gen of that version does not exist. Would anyone then say it’s a rep? I honestly think not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the “as long as the owner likes it” statement. But I know my APs and none of my 13 gens have double AR. So where the crystal is concerned, there IS definitely a right and wrong type. Preference is subjective but fact is not.
Also, customized bezels, dials, cases etc are fairly common and I’ve seen them and accept them as commonplace in gens. No argument there. But crystals, not a single one.
Here is a pic of my gen GP. It is what an AP looks like. Clear single AR.
9c0bbcf4c4ed4a8b22f89eef2883186b.jpg

You may have handled APs since 2002 but I handle different ones on a daily basis. The relevance is that some of us know how APs are supposed to look and others, not a single clue. So if you like your double ARs, it is of course your right. The fact is a rep will always be a rep no matter how you mod it, so why does it matter to anyone but the owner right? I’m sure that nobody around you in real life will point out that the C&W gp looks totally off compared with the gen but here on the forums, the knowledge and cognition level is somewhat more unforgiving.
But if you’re looking to make your watch look more accurate to gen, then it’s simple, the benchmark to follow IS the gen. So fantasy or a more accurate rep, decision is entirely yours. No arguments there lol.

littowun

Known Member
1/6/19
Not Applicable
Here is a pic of my gen GP.

Beautiful GP! As a quick aside, because nobody really wants the power ranger yellow stock JF v3 GP and the Zorros, Stevenlees, C&Ws, and heavily modded Noob v2s all seem to go for around 3k, I started browsing the current market price of the Gen FC GP.

The current market price of the FC GP seems like a bargain for a Limited Edition? All the other Formula 1 non-RG watches are going for nearly double that. Would you have any insight or speculation why this is?

And in an attempt to bring this back to topic, I've found I really like AP watches with a "3D Effect", like the GP, RB2 RG, and the subdials of the RG Schumi also give a 3D Effect in some angles. If I can kindly pick your brain further, are there any other AP watches that give this "3D Effect"?

Thanks so much as always!

Aurasash

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/7/19
I agree with the “as long as the owner likes it” statement. But I know my APs and none of my 13 gens have double AR. So where the crystal is concerned, there IS definitely a right and wrong type. Preference is subjective but fact is not.
Also, customized bezels, dials, cases etc are fairly common and I’ve seen them and accept them as commonplace in gens. No argument there. But crystals, not a single one.
Here is a pic of my gen GP. It is what an AP looks like. Clear single AR.
9c0bbcf4c4ed4a8b22f89eef2883186b.jpg

You may have handled APs since 2002 but I handle different ones on a daily basis. The relevance is that some of us know how APs are supposed to look and others, not a single clue. So if you like your double ARs, it is of course your right. The fact is a rep will always be a rep no matter how you mod it, so why does it matter to anyone but the owner right? I’m sure that nobody around you in real life will point out that the C&W gp looks totally off compared with the gen but here on the forums, the knowledge and cognition level is somewhat more unforgiving.
But if you’re looking to make your watch look more accurate to gen, then it’s simple, the benchmark to follow IS the gen. So fantasy or a more accurate rep, decision is entirely yours. No arguments there lol.

Agree with that. Will send you a pm later inregrds to the various mods available for different models. Should be mostly 44mms to create a clone for my gens for good comparison. Thanks for this informative discussion which is good.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Agree with that. Will send you a pm later inregrds to the various mods available for different models. Should be mostly 44mms to create a clone for my gens for good comparison. Thanks for this informative discussion which is good.

and I will help where I can. Perhaps it is even better that we speak to avoid misunderstandings. Sorry if my previous post came across as harsh in any way. That was not my intention Aurasash

Reactions: Allure and Aurasash

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Beautiful GP! As a quick aside, because nobody really wants the power ranger yellow stock JF v3 GP and the Zorros, Stevenlees, C&Ws, and heavily modded Noob v2s all seem to go for around 3k, I started browsing the current market price of the Gen FC GP.

The current market price of the FC GP seems like a bargain for a Limited Edition? All the other Formula 1 non-RG watches are going for nearly double that. Would you have any insight or speculation why this is?

And in an attempt to bring this back to topic, I've found I really like AP watches with a "3D Effect", like the GP, RB2 RG, and the subdials of the RG Schumi also give a 3D Effect in some angles. If I can kindly pick your brain further, are there any other AP watches that give this "3D Effect"?

Thanks so much as always!

Demand and collectability affects the prices of AP timepieces, and in fact, luxury timepieces in general. Models like the Schumi, and Lebron James command sky high premiums whereas the GP prices are relatively tame, despite all being limited edition, out of production models. One plausible reason is the forged carbon construction of the red dial GP. It is difficult to find a piece in immaculate condition, most have the bezels or even cases chipped or eroded in some ways. There is a GP v2.0 where it has a ceramic bezel and a black datewheel. Those are relatively rare and cost a lot more.
I am sorry but I do not quite understand the 3D effect you were referring to.. this is highly subjective, given that most of the ROO dials have similar layout, and are constructed in similar manners (except for the RB2 which has a skeleton dial). If it is the color theme which makes the visual difference, you need to ascertain which dial appears 3D to you and which do not.

Reactions: Allure and littowun

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
my 2 cents on a solely subjective matter as personal preference is, but there are beauty canons out there and frankly speaking a Schumy or, more so, a Lebron are way better looking than the GP imho hence probably the higher appetite of the market

Reactions: littowun

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
my 2 cents on a solely subjective matter as personal preference is, but there are beauty canons out there and frankly speaking a Schumy or, more so, a Lebron are way better looking than the GP imho hence probably the higher appetite of the market

The build quality of either the Schumi or LBJ does exceed the FC GP by far. It is the happy meal toy among the AP limited editions.

Reactions: Allure and QueTip

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Indeed a far off look from the gen but like you’ve also mentioned as long as the owner likes it the accuracy to gen is negligible.

Let me also bring this a bit further- Are you saying your C&W is closer to gen than these Schumi's legend posted? If you do, you're making more of a fool of yourself than I thought. The Schumi is probably the best repped AP in terms of build quality (MUCH superior to any available and unavailable Grand Prix just solely by build quality) and with mods done by the legend himself it gets better mod by mod. Like I said, if you say any GP is better than a stock JF Schumi, you're being delusional.

If I had a Zorro, C&W, StevenLee GP and a stock JF Schumi on the table and had to pick one, I'd pick the Schumi every day and time.

Reactions: legend

Aurasash

Banned
6/7/19
Let me also bring this a bit further- Are you saying your C&W is closer to gen than these Schumi's legend posted? If you do, you're making more of a fool of yourself than I thought. The Schumi is probably the best repped AP in terms of build quality (MUCH superior to any available and unavailable Grand Prix just solely by build quality) and with mods done by the legend himself it gets better mod by mod. Like I said, if you say any GP is better than a stock JF Schumi, you're being delusional.

If I had a Zorro, C&W, StevenLee GP and a stock JF Schumi on the table and had to pick one, I'd pick the Schumi every day and time.

Either you need reading glasses or need to learn to read. Far from gen I was referring to the double ar crystal as compared to the gen crystal. There wasn’t even a single schumi word involved. That particular long post was entirely about double ar so don’t pick out just part of it and make silly insinuations which more so making a fool of your delusional self.

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Either you need reading glasses or need to learn to read. Far from gen I was referring to the double ar crystal as compared to the gen crystal. There wasn’t even a single schumi word involved. That particular long post was entirely about double ar so don’t pick out just part of it and make silly insinuations which more so making a fool of your delusional self.

QueTip is a super moderator here and I think that like it or not we need to exercise some deference. I do that in here even if he and I are personal friends.
We were discussing the merits and shortfalls on the double AR crystal and it will be good if it does not become a case of personal attacks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Allure

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14

You don’t want me to reply to you. I can read that wish from across the globe. Believe me when I tell you. You’re knowledge of AP pieces is below an average reader on here so I’m debating whether or not you’re even worth the time but that’s none of my business.

Watch your words or you’ll be taught some sense, believe that as well. I know I may be asking a lot but it’s for the better.

Reactions: Tompa

Aurasash

Banned
6/7/19
QueTip is a super moderator here and I think that like it or not we need to exercise some deference. I do that in here even if he and I are personal friends.
We were discussing the merits and shortfalls on the double AR crystal and it will be good if it does not become a case of personal attacks.

Ummm I think u need to tell that to him? He started name calling n personal attacks? I’m innocent till he started it does that mean as a supermod he’s excused? Tq

Aurasash

Banned
6/7/19
You don’t want me to reply to you. I can read that wish from across the globe. Believe me when I tell you. You’re knowledge of AP pieces is below an average reader on here so I’m debating whether or not you’re even worth the time but that’s none of my business.

Watch your words or you’ll be taught some sense, believe that as well. I know I may be asking a lot but it’s for the better.

I don’t get it. You were wrong and u started personal attacks and now I’m to be blamed? Your failure to read caused u to think my knowledge of AP is below average do note that Super moderator.

I have no intention to be rude but your that started the personal attack and to be honest wouldn’t sit very well for anyone who had not been rude in the first place.

Tq

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
I don’t get it. You were wrong and u started personal attacks and now I’m to be blamed? Your failure to read caused u to think my knowledge of AP is below average do note that Super moderator.

I have no intention to be rude but your that started the personal attack and to be honest wouldn’t sit very well for anyone who had not been rude in the first place.

Tq

Im very busy today, will get back on this later or tomorrow.

!remindme 8hours

Reactions: Aurasash

Aurasash

Banned
6/7/19
Im very busy today, will get back on this later or tomorrow.

!remindme 8hours

Haha no worries mate. Had a brief convo with legend.

If somehow I had struck a nerve I apologise but don’t throw mud at me when I’m clean. Lol

Anyways, it’s all good on my end and I sincerely hope this end that earlier crazy spat. ✌️

Reactions: littowun

Orlinski

You're Saying I Can Sell?
NB bottom line question would be - am I on right track to buy current titanium Schumi from PureTime (so far the research led me to this as the best option) and than to kindly ask Legend to check it and suggest reasonable mods?
I understand differences from gen and welcome opinion of experienced fellows whether I missed something badly with above conclusion.
Thanks in advance.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
NB bottom line question would be - am I on right track to buy current titanium Schumi from PureTime (so far the research led me to this as the best option) and than to kindly ask Legend to check it and suggest reasonable mods?
I understand differences from gen and welcome opinion of experienced fellows whether I missed something badly with above conclusion.
Thanks in advance.

I don't see myself as the ultimate guy, there are other modders and knowledgeable guys on the board, but I am happy to share my opinion with you, and for the benefit of others interested in the same watch.

List of mods for this watch:

1. Dial center plate color (I do not know if this has since been updated but the versions I worked on about a year ago has a grey which is too dark)
2. A "Audemars Piguet" dial decal need to be applied after the dial color change
3. The pusher guards and plots need to be sandblasted for the correct finish
4. The tachy needs to be trimmed, and another decal applied to fill in the seconds counter ring
5. The date window ring needs to be thinned
6. Cyclop needs to be upgraded, if not already updated by factory
7. Mikey modern red font DW is ideal for this watch if you can find it. I do not know if it has been updated since.
8. Case needs to thinned.

This is what I remember for now. It has been quite a while, so I may have forgotten some other details.

Reactions: Allure

Orlinski

You're Saying I Can Sell?
List of mods for this watch:

1. Dial center plate color (I do not know if this has since been updated but the versions I worked on about a year ago has a grey which is too dark)
2. A "Audemars Piguet" dial decal need to be applied after the dial color change
3. The pusher guards and plots need to be sandblasted for the correct finish
4. The tachy needs to be trimmed, and another decal applied to fill in the seconds counter ring
5. The date window ring needs to be thinned
6. Cyclop needs to be upgraded, if not already updated by factory
7. Mikey modern red font DW is ideal for this watch if you can find it. I do not know if it has been updated since.
8. Case needs to thinned.

This is what I remember for now. It has been quite a while, so I may have forgotten some other details.

It is fantastic attention to details.
I assume in addition to mods, sort of general cleanup, waterproofing and lubricating can round up such undertaking.
Thanks.

By the way, is case thinning applicable to titan + ceramic combo models ?