• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob 44mm AP Offshore with forged case

J.B.Thomas

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/10/13
did you buy one?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

No not yet but I just saw your pics and it looks amazing. What are like the main differences these have compared to the authentic ? Like thickness? Or date windows?

Sent from the RWI App

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
No not yet but I just saw your pics and it looks amazing. What are like the main differences these have compared to the authentic ? Like thickness? Or date windows?

Sent from the RWI App

Tells? Here are some of them:

- color of dial is wrong
- position of date window
- date font and magnification
- case is too thick
- movement is completely wrong
- because of date window position, printing missing on dial, right side of date window
- material and weight of watch are off
- date window ring is too thick
- position of crown
- hands shape and finish are different
- other minor details on case, like bezel finish, bezel screws etc

Below is a modded piece I did for someone. The result? Still flawed and I pointed out the differences to the owner, but told him that it’s in many little ways better than the stock one. But no it’s not 1:1. Not even close.
06dce0ca9e0fc5d93e3f47e3e14a4815.jpg

The key thing to be happy in this hobby is not how accurate the replica is, or what mods you can do to the watch to make it look more accurate.
It’s simply to accept that it’s a replica, a relatively low cost novelty which you wear for fun and to please yourself. Nothing wrong wearing reps because you like the look of one and still buying the gen to appreciate the horological craftsmanship.
Both are entirely different kettles of fish and disappointment is inevitable when one tries to bridge the two worlds with mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aurasash

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/7/19
Tells? Here are some of them:

- color of dial is wrong
- position of date window
- date font and magnification
- case is too thick
- movement is completely wrong
- because of date window position, printing missing on dial, right side of date window
- material and weight of watch are off
- date window ring is too thick
- position of crown
- hands shape and finish are different
- other minor details on case, like bezel finish, bezel screws etc

Below is a modded piece I did for someone. The result? Still flawed and I pointed out the differences to the owner, but told him that it’s in many little ways better than the stock one. But no it’s not 1:1. Not even close.
06dce0ca9e0fc5d93e3f47e3e14a4815.jpg

The key thing to be happy in this hobby is not how accurate the replica is, or what mods you can do to the watch to make it look more accurate.
It’s simply to accept that it’s a replica, a relatively low cost novelty which you wear for fun and to please yourself. Nothing wrong wearing reps because you like the look of one and still buying the gen to appreciate the horological craftsmanship.
Both are entirely different kettles of fish and disappointment is inevitable when one tries to bridge the two worlds with mods.

Well said. Now how can I get one of these modded schumi? I have the rosegold version with the updated DW but not modded.

Aurasash

Banned
6/7/19
I did a rose gold one too.
e1e68ecaa4d27a4c1015c3b26afbe6fd.jpg

That’s a beauty. Is the dial a tad too light or just the lighting? I would love to have mine done.

Aurasash

Banned
6/7/19
I noticed the RG’s DW ring is closer to the tachy as compared to the platinum version. Could more space be done similar to the plat?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I noticed the RG’s DW ring is closer to the tachy as compared to the platinum version. Could more space be done similar to the plat?

Yes of course. By thinning the date window surround. In this case the owner chose not to do so.

Reactions: Allure

Aurasash

Banned
6/7/19
Yes of course. By thinning the date window surround. In this case the owner chose not to do so.

That explains it.

I Guess I would like to have mine thinned

What other mods can be done to the schumi?

cf13ebfd21ca8a26b49e1857fee2cd26.jpg

Aurasash

Banned
6/7/19
Seems my DW ring gap to tachy is rather good?

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Seems my DW ring gap to tachy is rather good?

The date window ring is too thick and the tachy needs to be shaved a little more. Also you need to fill in the gap with the proper second counter ring printing.

mjt42

Horology Curious
29/12/14

Sent from the RWI App
legend just about sums it up - i am more than happy to accept the watch as it is and the only 'mods' i can see me getting done are ones that will improve the reliability/longevity of the movement.

i would be more interested in finding out the exact differences in the noob compared to jf - in particular the weight. if they are minimal, as legend has already posted, i can see no point in spending over double the amount on the jf.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Aurasash

Banned
6/7/19
The date window ring is too thick and the tachy needs to be shaved a little more. Also you need to fill in the gap with the proper second counter ring printing.

You’re right. Keen to have it modded. What other mods would u recommend? A double ar crystal is preferred as well.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
You’re right. Keen to have it modded. What other mods would u recommend? A double ar crystal is preferred as well.

If you want to know the list of mods to do for the schumi please pm me. But one word of advice: there is no point doing various mods for the schumi for visual accuracy only to have all the efforts flushed down the drain by installing a double AR crystal.
Double AR crystal and AP have nothing to do with each other and one of the easiest ways to spot an AP rep in the wild.

Aurasash

Banned
6/7/19
If you want to know the list of mods to do for the schumi please pm me. But one word of advice: there is no point doing various mods for the schumi for visual accuracy only to have all the efforts flushed down the drain by installing a double AR crystal.
Double AR crystal and AP have nothing to do with each other and one of the easiest ways to spot an AP rep in the wild.

Yes I realised that having the dbl ar on the C&W.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Yes I realised that having the dbl ar on the C&W.

Double AR makes a dial look clearer, but is actually a negative mod which you spend money and make the watch look like a fantasy.
The usual argument used is that the double AR makes the dial pop, makes the dial look much better etc. Obviously these guys have never handled or owned a gen AP ROO.
For your benefit, I will repeat this again: It is perfectly normal, and in fact the core AP crystal characteristic, that it appears reflective at some angles.
If you want a double AR on your watch, you may as well dip the case in bright yellow paint too and then draw neon blue polkadots on it to complete the fantasy build.
There are others who argue that they just want the watch to look better to their own eyes regardless of accuracy. Fair enough but then in that case, no need to mod the watch further to make it "closer to gen". Just build your own fantasy watch. I cannot stress enough just how wrong double AR crystal looks on any ROO.

The C&W AP GP? I like the red center dial but nothing else about the watch. There are other productions and mods from Zorro, Aflop, Stevenlee etc, and of course hybrid ones, but the C&W GP looks the furthest from the gen where modded watches go and its definitely priced in the wrong bracket. It does not really need that double AR to solidify its status as a parody of a beautiful watch.

Aurasash

Banned
6/7/19
Double AR makes a dial look clearer, but is actually a negative mod which you spend money and make the watch look like a fantasy.
The usual argument used is that the double AR makes the dial pop, makes the dial look much better etc. Obviously these guys have never handled or owned a gen AP ROO.
For your benefit, I will repeat this again: It is perfectly normal, and in fact the core AP crystal characteristic, that it appears reflective at some angles.
If you want a double AR on your watch, you may as well dip the case in bright yellow paint too and then draw neon blue polkadots on it to complete the fantasy build.
There are others who argue that they just want the watch to look better to their own eyes regardless of accuracy. Fair enough but then in that case, no need to mod the watch further to make it "closer to gen". Just build your own fantasy watch. I cannot stress enough just how wrong double AR crystal looks on any ROO.

The C&W AP GP? I like the red center dial but nothing else about the watch. There are other productions and mods from Zorro, Aflop, Stevenlee etc, and of course hybrid ones, but the C&W GP looks the furthest from the gen where modded watches go and its definitely priced in the wrong bracket. It does not really need that double AR to solidify its status as a parody of a beautiful watch.

Thank you modificata. The color was done to owner preference. I will not comment on the "accuracy to gen". As long as the owner likes it, I guess my job is done.

Indeed a far off look from the gen but like you’ve also mentioned as long as the owner likes it the accuracy to gen is negligible.

“The usual argument used is that the double AR makes the dial pop, makes the dial look much better etc. Obviously these guys have never handled or owned a gen AP ROO.” I have to say this statement is rather strong? Have handled gen AP since maybe 2002? How would that have any relevance?

The crazy thing about double ar is that it certainly makes the dial better. Whether it deviates from the accuracy of the gen is still up to the owner’s preference.

In my opinion it’s simply a no right no wrong situation where one wants to have his cake made.

Yes having a dbl ar will alert maybe the people on the replica forums that it’s a replica but not to many who plays only gens but who heavily mod their gens. Not uncommon to have a totally custom made diamond crusted bezel for a RM or any other make when the gen of that version does not exist. Would anyone then say it’s a rep? I honestly think not.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Indeed a far off look from the gen but like you’ve also mentioned as long as the owner likes it the accuracy to gen is negligible.

“The usual argument used is that the double AR makes the dial pop, makes the dial look much better etc. Obviously these guys have never handled or owned a gen AP ROO.” I have to say this statement is rather strong? Have handled gen AP since maybe 2002? How would that have any relevance?

The crazy thing about double ar is that it certainly makes the dial better. Whether it deviates from the accuracy of the gen is still up to the owner’s preference.

In my opinion it’s simply a no right no wrong situation where one wants to have his cake made.

Yes having a dbl ar will alert maybe the people on the replica forums that it’s a replica but not to many who plays only gens but who heavily mod their gens. Not uncommon to have a totally custom made diamond crusted bezel for a RM or any other make when the gen of that version does not exist. Would anyone then say it’s a rep? I honestly think not.

I get your point but I personally have yet to see ONE gen Audemars Piguet owner that has put a double AR crystal on his watch. Have you? That's it. Double AR is a mythical mod that is only around in the rep world (for AP that is) and is the first hint to telling whether one's watch is genuine or not if you see one out in the wild. If it has a double AR crystal, chances are pretty high that it's a fake.

J.B.Thomas

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/10/13
Wow thanks for the info! I also have a regular 44mm AP offshore, rose gold and black ceramic dial, who can I talk to about getting it re-plated in rose?

Sent from my iPhone using RWI