• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Which Franken should flying-tommy sell?

Which Franken should flying-tommy sell?

• Blue numeral dial (back row middle)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
to keep the 'what you wearing thread' on topic. Let's create a new thread to help flying-tommy decide which franken to sell :cool:

if it were mine; panda, safari and rgrc are keepers. white rubberclad can rebuild easily compared to others so i vote white rubberclad to sell

88e4d69eaea8ff02d705865b8df9ad21.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: flying-tommy

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
But does he want to sell any of them? Lol

Revolper

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/7/18
Well I already know the answer but if it was my decision Safari had to go out of this six.

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Garuda I hadn't seen. I share your thought though. White RC has to leave I am thinking as well. The others are too special and hard to rebuild.

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
Haha, what a nice Thread. But now I’m under pressure to pick up one for sale.

I don’t like the Thread. Lol

Panda, Safari and RGRC are the most expensive Watches in my collection. Mhhhh

First I thought to sell the white Rubberclad but my wife said today what a nice summer watch, is it new.

....... Women’s

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Tompa

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14

First I thought to sell the white Rubberclad but my wife said today what a nice summer watch, is it new.

....... Women’s

Panda and RGRC are no gos. You can't sell these.

Tompa

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden

....... Women’s

Can i ask WHY you need to sell one? Keep them all bro. You will regret selling one

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
Can i ask WHY you need to sell one? Keep them all bro. You will regret selling one

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

I have an option for an new expensive Project. :)

Reactions: Tompa

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
I wouldn't sell any if I were you. All look amazing

Thank you very much!

Maybe I have to stay with my builds and saving money over the time. Lol

Problem now is also to get base Watches from the TD’s. All answered no chance to catch the “old Models” only the new ones with open Caseback.

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
I personally would keep the RCRC and sell the rest. And start a few other projects.

flying-tommy, you need to diversify your AP portfolio, add a 39mm and a 41mm frankens. And possibly a 44mm one, say a GP or a LBJ :) Great collection though.

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Thank you very much!

Maybe I have to stay with my builds and saving money over the time. Lol

Problem now is also to get base Watches from the TD’s. All answered no chance to catch the “old Models” only the new ones with open Caseback.

DM me what you need, I may be able to help bro.

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
I personally would keep the RCRC and sell the rest. And start a few other projects.

flying-tommy, you need to diversify your AP portfolio, add a 39mm and a 41mm frankens. And possibly a 44mm one, say a GP or a LBJ :) Great collection though.

Maybe I have to think about that. But my wrist needs minimum a 41mm AP.

Franken GP would be a big big dream for me. Also with an normal LWO and open Caseback. I love the GP.

pm-guy

Supporter
Certified
10/5/14
An awesome collection!
I would keep all of them, simply too good and rare to sell any of them now...

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Not a bad collection flying-tommy but I do agree with tosoboso , the watches in your visible collection are all 42mm ROOs, you need to diversify, since they are essentially the same watch with different color themes and having different case/bezel materials.
I will keep the RGRC, and the panda, and maybe the blue arabic, but the rest I will sell. Frankens are just highly modded reps with gen parts, and I believe that one day you will just go gen like I did after you start seeing what I saw lol.
For now, do consider diversifying and consider Royal Oaks, divers, and perhaps different styles of ROO too like the Schumacher or GP or Survivor, for example. I currently have the same issue with too many gen ROOs (13) and I am trying to trim my ROO collection down to 6 even as we speak, and explore other brands or models. The model is repetitive, though I fully understand how each color/material combination makes each watch look and feel like a completely different piece. A 15400 or 15500 Royal Oak for example, will fit under your shirt cuffs a lot better than any ROO and looks and feels completely different.

Also have you considered other brands?

Jurgenk

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/07
Amen to diversification and gens... there’s only one way this story ends, as much as I like and admire what you’ve done with this collection. Heck you already have the dealer display kit for your future 44 mm and 42 mm modern ROOs.

If I were you I’d move your gen parts to your favorite 3-4 builds and then sell the rest, and find yourself something special like a boutique limited edition SIHH open caseback 42 mmm or 44 mm— Other hobbyists can take your old builds and perfect them over time...

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
An awesome collection!
I would keep all of them, simply too good and rare to sell any of them now...

I agree in the implicit truth that gen AP parts used for frankens are becoming rare, ironically rarer than the gen watch sold as a whole. But this is understandable as the brand, like Rolex, tightens up its spare parts policy, having gained insights into reps and yes, frankens. The building and circulation of AP frankens will not increase, so you are right, flying tommy owns a treasure trove there.
yet, zoom out on the pic and see the situation in a wider perspective. Any regular visitor at his place will see 6 gen ROOs displayed there. Nobody will have a clue on how much effort, time and money went into building each one. To most if not all of them, he simply went out and bought 6 APs, which requires minimal effort, and plenty of money.

My point is this: The journey of building the frankens is what makes it hard to part with each watch, more than the result of said journey. Each watch is a story which only the builder will understand. If each one was a gen, it will be easy to flip it, and on whim, buy the same model again in the future.