• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF AP 15500

Eggroll_96

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/12/20
Florida, USA
Just gives me giggles...every year some factory gets raided, a thread gets created here, people panic about open orders, speculations become rife, factory comes back online (after money changed hands) and then we all eventually go back to complaining about SELs, DWs and CG shapes again!! Such is the circle of life in this hobby :D:D

Sig worthy. Dibs

derrickcrash

Known Member
7/12/20
Hi all,
I ordered last week the grey 15500 but was informed I couldn't get it due to ZF raids but they do have the Black 15500 in stock which was reserved so I can make up my mind.

I did look at a lot of images both here and googling and I like the contrast between the black dial and the bracelet but other pics with the grey dial alone look wonderful as well.

Which one do you guys have and what justified your decision?

Last edited:

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I ordered last week the grey 15500 but was informed I couldn't get it due to ZF raids but they do have the Black 15500 in stock which was reserved so I can make up my mind.

I did look at a lot of images both here and googling and I like the contrast between the black dial and the bracelet but other pics with the grey dial alone look wonderful as well.

Black is the best dial, imo. I've had all the variants (except white). Black has grey tones... and deep blacks. It's the most versatile and also the black / silver contrast is fantastic. Go for the black, and you won't regret it imo.

Reactions: leo6929

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Hi all,

I would stick with Grey, its unique and looks great under all light conditions (Too many Black/white dials out there). I have the Grey and Blue and will not trade it for any other color.

On a different note - color is a personal choice. I don't think others "opinion" should drive your purchasing decisions.

RonP

Renowned Member
11/10/19
UK
Blue watches are the best looking, black is usually the most plain Jane colour.

Reactions: srhoque

derrickcrash

Known Member
7/12/20
Black is the best dial, imo. I've had all the variants (except white). Black has grey tones... and deep blacks. It's the most versatile and also the black / silver contrast is fantastic. Go for the black, and you won't regret it imo.

Yes, I've seen some (gen) wrist shots and I have to say the Black is spectacular with the Grey looking a bit dull in my opinion. Where the grey really stands out is in the sun, too bad I live in the Uk and the summer is only a weekend long.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191008/b9c28e2aaab5026259a7c424994ac242.plist

derrickcrash

Known Member
7/12/20
On a different note - color is a personal choice. I don't think others "opinion" should drive your purchasing decisions.

When it's hard to decide between two worlds other opinions are more than welcomed. They are both beautiful in my eyes just in different ways.

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
Yes, I've seen some (gen) wrist shots and I have to say the Black is spectacular with the Grey looking a bit dull in my opinion. Where the grey really stands out is in the sun, too bad I live in the Uk and the summer is only a weekend long.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191008/b9c28e2aaab5026259a7c424994ac242.plist

Personally, I think the picture you linked here highlights it the best. Black is just better. There might be 100 black watches, but AP is a different kettle of fish as the bracelets are what make them work. The contrast between dark black and the reflective metal is what makes it the best.

Grey = blends into the metal. Boring.

Obviously, these are my personal subjective opinions. But who cares, you asked for opinions. Go black. Grey/white dull and boring in my opinion. Be bold or go home.

derrickcrash

Known Member
7/12/20
Personally, I think the picture you linked here highlights it the best. Black is just better. There might be 100 black watches, but AP is a different kettle of fish as the bracelets are what make them work. The contrast between dark black and the reflective metal is what makes it the best.

Grey = blends into the metal. Boring.

Obviously, these are my personal subjective opinions. But who cares, you asked for opinions. Go black. Grey/white dull and boring in my opinion. Be bold or go home.

Definitely, funny thing about the gen Grey it's that it has a longer waiting time at the AP Boutique than other colours but in the 'wild' it would be seen more often due to it's popularity in the rep world. Not that you would want to fool anyone, it's just a funny fact.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
When it's hard to decide between two worlds other opinions are more than welcomed. They are both beautiful in my eyes just in different ways.

I agree with you that opinions are welcome when you are faced with challenges in choosing a specific color, but srhoque was right, it largely boils down to individual preferences.
Given that none of the colors are really gen-like, this brings down the choice rationale to your individual preference. Personally I will pick the grey. It looks good on a $400+ watch and looks nice on its own without any comparison to the gen ruthenium color. The gen grey is lighter and a bit more metallic in finish, whereas the rep one is darker, have a hint of brown and looks more "plastic" on the surface.

Reactions: srhoque

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.

A lot of the posts in the forum are about opinions and yes subjective according to what the poster sees and feels as an individual.
You were not wrong in saying that the grey 15500 appears to be rather monotonous in terms of color blend/presentation but I like my gen grey 15500 just fine for the very same reason. I have recently sold my gen silver 15500 for the opposite reason: The contrast of the dial and case color was rather stark for a watch of this design. Am awaiting the arrival of the blue dial from the boutique currently.

We do need individual and subjective opinions to make our community more vibrant, and for us to learn from one another.

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
A lot of the posts in the forum are about opinions and yes subjective according to what the poster sees and feels as an individual.
You were not wrong in saying that the grey 15500 appears to be rather monotonous in terms of color blend/presentation but I like my gen grey 15500 just fine for the very same reason. I have recently sold my gen silver 15500 for the opposite reason: The contrast of the dial and case color was rather stark for a watch of this design. Am awaiting the arrival of the blue dial from the boutique currently.

We do need individual and subjective opinions to make our community more vibrant, and for us to learn from one another.

Gen is a different thing all together :)

Reactions: legend

Eggroll_96

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/12/20
Florida, USA
Guess you’re gonna have to search up videos/vlogs of people wearing either one and decide for yourself. I promise you will be happy with your chosen result.

derrickcrash

Known Member
7/12/20
Reactions: Sonofalich

Mc Queen

Renowned Member
11/10/20
Italy
Hi all,

I can't help you in the decision but I have a 15500 zf black dial and 15400 jf white dial. I prefer the white dial because it's more shiny and I think that is a perfect match with the shiny bracelet. The black dial is more subtle and a bit more matt. The Grey dial it's a mid-way that I really don't like, but it's subjective and I know that is the first choice of a lot people here (also because it seems the most gen-like). One year ago I read that zzf made the most gen-like sub no date and I bought it. Result: never worn, because simply it's not my kind of watch.
So I suggest you to look a lot of pictures and understand which color is the best for you!
2b45b40cef96ba108728e0a65702751b.jpg

Inviato dal mio WAS-LX1A utilizzando Tapatalk

derrickcrash

Known Member
7/12/20
I can't help you in the decision but I have a 15500 zf black dial and 15400 jf white dial. I prefer the white dial because it's more shiny and I think that is a perfect match with the shiny bracelet. The black dial is more subtle and a bit more matt. The Grey dial it's a mid-way that I really don't like, but it's subjective and I know that is the first choice of a lot people here (also because it seems the most gen-like). One year ago I read that zzf made the most gen-like sub no date and I bought it. Result: never worn, because simply it's not my kind of watch.
So I suggest you to look a lot of pictures and understand which color is the best for you!
2b45b40cef96ba108728e0a65702751b.jpg

Inviato dal mio WAS-LX1A utilizzando Tapatalk

They're both beautiful in their own respect, thanks for sharing them with us. By nature, I am more of an introvert myself and would rather prefer the black dial and I think the dial colour is the most gen-like out of all of them looking at the macro shots from this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSIgAiX5Mn4
Again, all colours of the rep will capture the light differently as opposed to genuine, especially the grey which is spectacular in gen form, but the black rep in particular is more seamless than the others imho.

derrickcrash

Known Member
7/12/20
Just received my QC pics today and perhaps some proud ZF AP owners can share the light?
1. Isn't the date supposed to be right in the middle, it looks to me like it's a bit under, especially comparing with the painted dial next to it: https://postimg.cc/gallery/H5R0NZJ
2. Is the logo a bit crooked or perhaps it's the angle? https://postimg.cc/676K397r
3. Are the upper dials a bit discontinued at the bottom? https://postimg.cc/gallery/H5R0NZJ

I've watched tens of pictures until now and some confirm or deny what I see but some of you already have the watch on your wrist now perhaps.

Reactions: enter01