• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF AP 15500

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
I need to read

You should really start reading. Spoon feeding will not be tolerated and I highly advise you from attempting it any further. Do your homework, anyone else on here did it as well.

Gds__Ares

Rolie Glitzer Glitzer
30/3/19
Austria
So its been about a month that I can call this black dialed beauty my own, and I must say I'm impressed. It's my first AP and I find it to be absolutely stunning.

The two major "flaws" I'm experiencing are the very sharp edges on the bracelet and the quite audible Rotor noise.

For the edges I was thinking of asking my goldsmith to break them, I can't imagine the gen bracelet to feel so sharp.

But I have no idea about the rotor noise? Does the real caliber sound like that or is it a tell? What mod would you recommend to fix it?
I have experience with gen Breitling and Rolex, but not with AP so please excuse my ignorance.

I got my 15500 last week and the rotor was also very loud.... i've now silenced the rotor my own .... you can find some tutorials when you search on google for " rwi ap silence rotor" now its super quiet and works well :)

Reactions: Timewellspent

Addy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/11/20
I have read many pages in this thread. Many people write about the noise from the 15500 roter. Is it really that strong and can you hear it well? What does this sound like?

Gds__Ares

Rolie Glitzer Glitzer
30/3/19
Austria
I have read many pages in this thread. Many people write about the noise from the 15500 roter. Is it really that strong and can you hear it well? What does this sound like?

It's like a rattle snake :laughing:

You can hear it in several situations.... when you lift your arm to show someone the watch , he will hear the rotor....

Reactions: Tony12345 and Addy

Addy

4/11/20
Yes , on other watches it never bothered me , but on this i had to fix it :) probably easy , an i'm normally a 2 left handed guy ^^

After you've fixed the loud roter in the watch, do you need to wind it up manually?

Or is the watch's functionality completely preserved? What tools did you use?

Gds__Ares

Rolie Glitzer Glitzer
30/3/19
Austria
After you've fixed the loud roter in the watch, do you need to wind it up manually?

Or is the watch's functionality completely preserved? What tools did you use?

It's still fully automatic , no need for winding with hand :) the rotor is still working .... you can find tutorials searching : silence rotor ap .....

Addy

4/11/20
It's still fully automatic , no need for winding with hand :) the rotor is still working .... you can find tutorials searching : silence rotor ap .....

Thanks! I will definitely look!
Will a watchmaker in a workshop be able to do such an operation in 10 - 15 minutes?

Reactions: Gds__Ares

Roguetheory

7/9/20
EU
Thanks! I will definitely look!
Will a watchmaker in a workshop be able to do such an operation in 10 - 15 minutes?

I would imagine it depends on how attention to detail oriented they are. Whether they are dismantling and cleaning the rotor bearings and oiling etc or merely oiling.

Addy

4/11/20
It would be possible , just ask :)

Let me know how the roter sound is corrected?
Thanks to lubrication or something else? Does this somehow affect the accuracy / reliability of the mechanism?

Gds__Ares

Rolie Glitzer Glitzer
30/3/19
Austria
Thanks to lubrication or something else? Does this somehow affect the accuracy / reliability of the mechanism?

Yes lubrication :) if you do it right it won't get damaged ...

Roguetheory

7/9/20
EU

Rotor bearings are removed and cleaned with alcohol and then oiled. It does not effect the accuracy or reliability, on the contrary facilitating and smoothening the rotor process.

Reactions: legend

repreg123

7/8/19
U should never oil or grease your rotor!

I'm no expert but a brief research yielded the info that it will decrease your charging as well as other possible issues

Last edited:

Xilikon

20/8/19
U should never oil or grease your rotor!

I'm no expert but a brief research yielded the info that it will decrease your charging as well as other possible issues

Actually, never grease but definitely oil (grease make it sticky so it won't rotate as freely). However, the exact oiling process is not to put some drops in it but to dilute a certain amount of oil and alcohol then dip the bearing in that solution then let it evaporate, leaving a thin layer of oil for best result.