• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF AP 15500

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
The 15500 was my first AP. As I understand it, the 15202 has some issues, like the hand base being completely wrong. I chose the 15500 since there where no obvious tells, besides from the movement of course.

I would like to try a 15202, but maybe hold out for the next zf

XF v2 is fine, just gotta get a decent QC with white lume.

Reactions: 2841

Hedgehog

Horology Curious
15/9/20
What's the expected +/- seconds in a day or 24h on this watch? Mine is running a bit fast I think..

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
What's the expected +/- seconds in a day or 24h on this watch? Mine is running a bit fast I think..

For the miyota movement anything within 20 seconds a day is normal. If you have a concern do get it serviced and regulated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Allure

Hedgehog

Horology Curious
15/9/20
For the miyota movement anything within 20 seconds a day is normal. If you have a concern do get it serviced and regulated.

I am about 13sec ahead in 24h, wearing it during the day. I am not familiar with the movement so I was not aware what I should excpect.

Thanks!

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
I am about 13sec ahead in 24h, wearing it during the day. I am not familiar with the movement so I was not aware what I should excpect.

Thanks!

It’s hit and miss with those movements. Mine is running 4 seconds fast per day, I was very happy with that :)

Reactions: Hedgehog

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
Thanks for the input guys. I decided to sell the 15500, and i think i need to try the 15202 before writing AP off :)

Reactions: Sonofalich

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thanks for the input guys. I decided to sell the 15500, and i think i need to try the 15202 before writing AP off :)

Just a minor curiosity.. why are you selling the 15500? Is it because of size or design or the way it wears? I do think its one of the best replica royal oaks to be made but yes that is highly subjective.

duba

19/11/14
Hello guys. Has anybody tried to fit jf bracelet links on to zf 15500? Someone was sell me jf 15400 links and I wondering will it fit or not. Thank you.

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
Just a minor curiosity.. why are you selling the 15500? Is it because of size or design or the way it wears? I do think its one of the best replica royal oaks to be made but yes that is highly subjective.

It’s kinda a combination. The design is very aggressive, compared to the older models, the size feels slightly to big, and the comfort is just not there, compared to my other watches

dont get me wrong, ZF did a great job replicating the watch. It’s just not a fit for me.

Last edited:

sasquatch951

Supporter
Certified
28/11/18
It’s kinda a combination. The design is very aggressive, compared to the older models, the size feels slightly to big, and the comfort is just not there, compared to my other watches

dont get me wrong, ZF did a great job replicating the watch. It’s just not a fit for me.

I’m kind of glad to read this response. I also have a ZF 15500 and although it is undeniably a great replica, something about it just doesn’t hit home for me like some other replicas. I couldn’t put my finger on it until I read this post. Although it is completely subjective as Legend says, to me the 15500 just doesn’t seem as understated, sleek or...graceful (?) as the 15202. I still can’t seem to figure it out to be honest. I think right now I’m feeling that it’s a bit thick and I’d prefer a thinner RO. I’m not selling mine yet. I’m going to save a bit and get myself a 15202. Waiting to see if that ZF dinner plate hand stack can be modded down a couple inches before I decide to go with XF or ZF.

Maybe I’ll decide I like both for different occasions or I’ll keep only one. Maybe I’m just not a royal oak kind of person? Who knows. Just the process I suppose.

Reactions: Litheo and legend

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I’m kind of glad to read this response. I also have a ZF 15500 and although it is undeniably a great replica, something about it just doesn’t hit home for me like some other replicas. I couldn’t put my finger on it until I read this post. Although it is completely subjective as Legend says, to me the 15500 just doesn’t seem as understated, sleek or...graceful (?) as the 15202. I still can’t seem to figure it out to be honest. I think right now I’m feeling that it’s a bit thick and I’d prefer a thinner RO. I’m not selling mine yet. I’m going to save a bit and get myself a 15202. Waiting to see if that ZF dinner plate hand stack can be modded down a couple inches before I decide to go with XF or ZF.

Maybe I’ll decide I like both for different occasions or I’ll keep only one. Maybe I’m just not a royal oak kind of person? Who knows. Just the process I suppose.

sir, personally I think everyone who is into watches is a Royal Oak kind of guy, the only difference being the model of Royal Oak of preference. I think there is a Royal Oak for every watch lover but yes this is only my opinion.

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania

I actually had a similar issue. Something just felt off on the wrist, I was permanently shaking my forearm to make it sit right. A pity really, it's an awesome rep...

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
I was exactly the same as you guys. The 15500 just didn't feel right. I have large wrists, 8" and I just thought it was too big. It was a classy watch that was too large to be classy... in my opinion.

Also, I wasn't keen on the dial. It was beautiful but there's nothing at the bottom of the dial... it's sterile at the 6 and I think it throws off the dial. You need "Automatic" or "AP" logo at 6 as in the 15202. It just balances the dial far better imo.

As you all said, it's annoying as the ZF 15500 was incredibly well made. The hour batons and hands were so well crafted, looked very good. But yeah overall, just not for me! To those of you on the fence about the 15202, just get an XF. You've gotta play the lume lottery, but it's better than the ZF. And it's hands down the best watch I own... even over some rather interesting gens I own! Obviously, this is purely personal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Watch-a-say

ernien

Renowned Member
23/9/12
Ontario, Canada
FYI, looks like the latest batch are now coming with a pretty thick date font:
CA6-AF7-E7-4-F0-C-4-EEA-AC75-7-FABBCB2406-D.jpg

Reactions: N0tail_ and raytron

RonP

Renowned Member
11/10/19
UK
I was exactly the same as you guys. The 15500 just didn't feel right. I have large wrists, 8" and I just thought it was too big. It was a classy watch that was too large to be classy... in my opinion.

Also, I wasn't keen on the dial. It was beautiful but there's nothing at the bottom of the dial... it's sterile at the 6 and I think it throws off the dial. You need "Automatic" or "AP" logo at 6 as in the 15202. It just balances the dial far better imo.

As you all said, it's annoying as the ZF 15500 was incredibly well made. The hour batons and hands were so well crafted, looked very good. But yeah overall, just not for me! To those of you on the fence about the 15202, just get an XF. You've gotta play the lume lottery, but it's better than the ZF. And it's hands down the best watch I own... even over some rather interesting gens I own! Obviously, this is purely personal.

I guess it is trying to be too many different things at once for you.

Removing the Automatic and making the hour markers shorter but thicker (along with the already big case size) gives it a more sporty appearance but the case style and bracelet are very dressy.

I like it though and it makes the 15400 look dated in comparison.

As for the 15202, the lack of a second hand is in an instant deal killer.

I've always found the 15500 comfortable, even on my small 6.5 inch wrist.

Last edited:

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
I guess it is trying to be too many different things at once for you.

Removing the Automatic and making the hour markers shorter but thicker (along with the already big case size) gives it a more sporty appearance but the case style and bracelet are very dressy.

I like it though and it makes the 15400 look dated in comparison.

As for the 15202, the lack of a second hand is in an instant deal killer.

I've always found the 15500 comfortable, even on my small 6.5 inch wrist.

+1. I have a 6.8inch wrist and 15500 sits very well. Same as you, I like the 15500 dial appearance better than the 15400 (the long indices and writings made the dial too busy for me). Plus the beat rate issue on the rep 15400 is a deal killer for me. After using fine grit sandpaper to smooth out the ZF inner side, bracelet feels quite comfortable now (and it has got the classy AP bracelet looks).

Regarding the 15202, a mechanical watch without a ticking second hand is just so boring. For me, I will go for the 15500 any day over the 15202.

In the end, AP has something for everyone. Whatever folks like, wear them in good health!!

Last edited:
Reactions: RonP

Nyczflyest123

Looking Around
11/10/20
sir, personally I think everyone who is into watches is a Royal Oak kind of guy, the only difference being the model of Royal Oak of preference. I think there is a Royal Oak for every watch lover but yes this is only my opinion.

True, I PM’d you please check